Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
After a disappointing one-year stint with the Los Angeles Lakers, free agent-to-be Jeremy Lin will enter the 2015 offseason seeking a new contract and a backup role on an NBA roster. In the past season, Lin averaged 11.2 points and 4.6 assists on 42.4 percent shooting from the floor. Although these numbers are on par with his career averages, Lin’s days as a starter may have come to an end.

Since coming to Los Angeles, Lin has faced criticism from several teammates, including Kobe Bryant, and the head coach, Byron Scott. After just 19 games, Lin was demoted to the bench. Now, Lin will have to find a team where he has the best opportunity to make his way back to the top.

According to International Business Times, Brooklyn is a potential destination for Jeremy Lin.

“Several teams will be in need of point guards this summer, especially those unwilling to pay their own unrestricted free agents. There’s the Detroit Pistons who face a difficult situation with Brandon Jennings, the Denver Nuggets who could lose Jameer Nelson as Ty Lawson’s backup if he opts-out, the Charlotte Hornets could let Mo Williams walk, and the Brooklyn Nets might watch Deron Williams exercise his opt-out clause.”

With the lack of consistency in the point guard rotation between Jarrett Jack and Deron Williams, Jeremy Lin may be the answer at the point guard position for additional depth and consistency in Brooklyn.
The non-clickbait version.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
I watched the movie Linsanity the other day. It was pretty funny watching it in hindsight - with the reality now that Lin is a borderline NBA player.
The media coverage he got was insane. It's hilarious to think about when looking back on it.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Not buying Phil Jackson is interested

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Seeing as it looks like Boston's trying to trade up in the draft after interviewing some top-10 bigs and wings, and how any such package likely looks something like Bradley/Olynyk/pick(s), I wouldn't mind the Celtics taking a swing on him as an Evan Turner-like rehab project if Avery Bradley leaves town. He's a good enough shooter to spend some time playing off the ball (which is basically what he did in Houston) with Evan Turner as point forward (or a much better player, if Ainge can swing it), but he can also act as your primary ballhandler if you need him to, he can score some in the pick-and-roll, and he isn't so good that he can chafe about Isaiah Thomas playing equal/more minutes off the bench. Seems like he would do much better under a coach like Brad Stevens, and he obviously already has a level of comfort with the city of Boston. If they could get him on a two-year deal for the bi-annual or taxpayer mid-level, like they did with Evan, I'd be good with it.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Lin got a raw deal last year. The Lakers were tanking and he was unfairly scapegoated often.

Reactions: Dee-Zy and Bogg

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
bull - he had every opportunity to prove himself and that's exactly what he did - he's a back up
Well, I think you have to frame what you mean by "prove himself". The only people still stuck on the "Linsanity" stuff are the people who get some weird kick out of continually arguing that a guy who clearly isn't a franchise player...isn't a franchise player. Lin basically did the same thing in LA on an outright tanking team that he did in Houston on a playoff squad - his "per 36s" look almost identical over the past three seasons. At this point we know what you're getting from Lin every night - scoring in the low to mid teens, reasonable enough ball handling and passing, and enough off-the-ball shooting that he doesn't have to have the ball in his hands.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
right, he's a back up (not borderline as eda put it but) if he's your starter you probably need to think about letting your second round draft get some PT so he can make the all rookie team

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
right, he's a back up (not borderline as eda put it but) if he's your starter you probably need to think about letting your second round draft get some PT so he can make the all rookie team
Clarkson led the team in minutes played after the all-star break. If you want to blame someone for Clarkson not getting a ton of burn at the start of the season then blame Kobe - with him shooting 20 times a night the Lakers had to surrounding him with better outside shooters than Clarkson. I'm fairly certain that it's not good for the confidence of a rookie who shoots 30% from outside to spend his first two months in the league getting cursed out by Kobe on a nightly basis because the team is losing and Clarkson's the guy out there with him.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Lin is a top 40 PG in this league. As such, he would be an upgrade at the back-up PG spot for over half the teams in the league... and he might even be the best PG on your team if you don't have any other top 40 PG.

If you are looking for him to fill that need, he's a good pick-up. If you are expecting something more, he's going to let you down.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Clarkson led the team in minutes played after the all-star break. If you want to blame someone for Clarkson not getting a ton of burn at the start of the season then blame Kobe - with him shooting 20 times a night the Lakers had to surrounding him with better outside shooters than Clarkson. I'm fairly certain that it's not good for the confidence of a rookie who shoots 30% from outside to spend his first two months in the league getting cursed out by Kobe on a nightly basis because the team is losing and Clarkson's the guy out there with him.
not blaming anyone (except for maybe Byron) - what I'm saying is that Lin got more than enough time to prove himself to be exactly what he is and by the time that happened the tank was on and they were better off giving the PT to JC and having Lin sit which is what happened

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Lin wouldn't play over D-Will or Jack (he's just as turnover prone as Lin though). Lin should go to Orlando and backup Elfrid Payton.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
bull - he had every opportunity to prove himself and that's exactly what he did - he's a back up
No shit he's a backup, but that doesn't mean he wasn't getting a raw deal. Scott seemed to take umbrage with him as even an NBA player. He would score efficiently and productively and Scott would become even more disruptive with his minutes. You can't explain Ronnie Price over Lin in almost all those situations.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
sure I can - toughness and defense - Lin was ineffective as a starter when they were still trying to win - by January (you posting tweets from some dude don't really impress me btw) the matter was settled - he did well off the bench which is where he belongs - the only raw deal he get was being pressed to do more than he could

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Lin wouldn't play over D-Will or Jack (he's just as turnover prone as Lin though). Lin should go to Orlando and backup Elfrid Payton.
We used Willie freakin' Green as our backup PG for much of last season, I'd take Lin in a heartbeat.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
sure I can - toughness and defense - Lin was ineffective as a starter when they were still trying to win - by January (you posting tweets from some dude don't really impress me btw) the matter was settled - he did well off the bench which is where he belongs - the only raw deal he get was being pressed to do more than he could
Again, nobody is refuting that he is not an effective starter. But he was benched against San Antonio when he was statistically playing the best on the team. He was held out of the 4th quarter and OT against Minny when he had 19 points and 5 assists (gotta lose for those ping pong balls). He got a raw deal because that team was a fucking disaster that had run off the rails.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
"statistically"? ok and you're talking late season when the tank was clearly on (shrug) - his real chance was early when they were still kidding themselves that they could compete and he blew it, he was tentative and basically ducked and deferred with or without Kobe on the floor - he didn't have the mentality to grab his opportunity and eventually Byron just went another way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts