Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else think it would be possible that the Sixers would make a midseason trade that, at least on paper, would make them look like contenders?

I sometimes wonder with Mashburn's contract and three promising players like Korver, Iguodala, and Dalembart if we could make a trade for an elite player and a big wasteful contract.

Does anyone else see this is as a slight possibility?
 

·
Your Fav. Personal Demon
Joined
·
4,155 Posts
Nope, then we'd be sacrificing the future of our team for a chance at a ring. Chance is the key word. Our team is already thin enough already. Trading for 1 elite would not benefit us. That would mean having guys from our bench starting. Which would leave our already comatose bench even more worse off. I just don't think it would benefit our team in the long run. It'd be more of a win now mentality that has already hurt our team before. Remember after our finals run when we rewarded all our players(snow,mckey,thomas) with ridiculous contracts in hopes that we'd have repeat success right then. How'd that work out? Not so good. As tempting as it would be to get some great player and take a shot at the east we gotta keep the future of the team in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,887 Posts
I think it could be possible. They seem to be playing at a fairly high level at the moment, and are still without Dalembert. If they could obtain a good, well-rounded small forward, I think they could be much more dangerous. Adding a bench big would be helpful as well.


PG - Allen Iverson/John Salmons/Andre Iguodala
SG - Andre Iguodala/John Salmons/Allen Iverson
SF - James Posey/Kyle Korver/Lee Nailon/John Salmons/Andre Iguodala
PF - Chris Webber/Steven Hunter/Lee Nailon
C - Samuel Dalembert/Steven Hunter

That is a very talented rotation that I think could challenge for a championship. Solid perimeter defense with Iguodala and Posey, as well as Iverson in the passing lanes. Potentially good post defense with the shot-blocking presence of Dalembert, which in turn could make the perimeter defense even better.

They could also run a very good offense through Webber. Posey is a good 3-point shooter, Iguodala is very good all-around, can drive, dish, shoot...Allen Iverson at times has shown he can play very well off of Webber, and they play the 2-man game nicely at times. Dalembert is also usefull for put-backs and offensive rebounds, as well as alley-oops on the break. The bench also contains good parts in Salmons who is pretty well-rounded, Korver who is instant shooting and Lee Nailon who can also score.

All-in-all, they're solid in my eyes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
I dont know about you guys but I'm pretty impressed with this team so far. I think once we get Sammy back, our 3 man rotation b/w PF and C will produce. We have depth at the SG/SF spot also. If we could snag a solid starting PG I would be all over it, maybe for a draft pick. I'm not saying this would make us contenders for the championship or anything but I think it would make us more competitive within the Conference.
 

·
Your Fav. Personal Demon
Joined
·
4,155 Posts
Ras said:
I think it could be possible. They seem to be playing at a fairly high level at the moment, and are still without Dalembert. If they could obtain a good, well-rounded small forward, I think they could be much more dangerous. Adding a bench big would be helpful as well.


PG - Allen Iverson/John Salmons/Andre Iguodala
SG - Andre Iguodala/John Salmons/Allen Iverson
SF - James Posey/Kyle Korver/Lee Nailon/John Salmons/Andre Iguodala
PF - Chris Webber/Steven Hunter/Lee Nailon
C - Samuel Dalembert/Steven Hunter

That is a very talented rotation that I think could challenge for a championship. Solid perimeter defense with Iguodala and Posey, as well as Iverson in the passing lanes. Potentially good post defense with the shot-blocking presence of Dalembert, which in turn could make the perimeter defense even better.

They could also run a very good offense through Webber. Posey is a good 3-point shooter, Iguodala is very good all-around, can drive, dish, shoot...Allen Iverson at times has shown he can play very well off of Webber, and they play the 2-man game nicely at times. Dalembert is also usefull for put-backs and offensive rebounds, as well as alley-oops on the break. The bench also contains good parts in Salmons who is pretty well-rounded, Korver who is instant shooting and Lee Nailon who can also score.

All-in-all, they're solid in my eyes.

We'd have to give up something for a good SF obviously, so none of those lineups are doable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,887 Posts
RedsDrunk said:
We'd have to give up something for a good SF obviously, so none of those lineups are doable.
Mashburn's expiring contract, which is kind of what this thread is based on. James Posey was just an example of a player I thought would fit.
 

·
Your Fav. Personal Demon
Joined
·
4,155 Posts
He wrote with mash's contract AND our 3 promising players in return for an elite player. I don't think we can afford to get rid of iggy or dally and korver won't get us much with his large contract. In response to what the topic was concerning originally


More along the the lines of what you are thinking Ras, I feel you. We should use his contract to to pick up some pieces. Good call on Posey. He is a nice "for example" player. We could do some tinkering to improve our roster(posey or some midrange player) but can't afford to do anything too drastic(ie trade for an elite) as it will affect our core future players. This is our team dilema.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Mattjb34 said:
If we could snag a solid starting PG I would be all over it, maybe for a draft pick.
Yeah, somebody that can get us over 8 assists per game, while keeping their turnovers manageable ... and someone with the ability to attack and put pressure on the defense and create for himself and others, as needed.

Oh wait ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
If we could some how manage to trade Mashburn's contract for an athletic defensive small forward then I think would be that much better and be a threat to make the Finals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
The 76ers are merely 1 and a half years away from returning to the Finals in my opinion. No need to make a hasty trade ECF or bust should be the name of this season.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top