Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD, DA and Q be packaged in a trade anywhere this year? The way it looks to me is that Sheed is the starting 5 and Steph needs playing time. DD is a lost cause out there. We have Miles so do we need a slasher want a be like DA? Person can more than fill in for our outside shooting and Q is going to not get one bit better playing behind two people in his position.

In return for this deal we might get a decent PG or another real outside shooter.

I just think having three players that do very little to make this team better makes no sense when we really need a quality PG and a good backup for Sheed.

DD could help and east team and DA is healthy right now so trade him now before he gets hurt again. Q just needs to play somewhere and get regular minutes.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I think you could move a package of Q and DD. Most teams are always looking for some size upfront (Dale). Throw in a young project SG to sweeten the deal, and it's looking better. DD's contract is big, but it expires in '05.

I think DA would be much harder to move. He's locked up at ~$8 Million per year till '07 :sour:. Plus, he's injury prone and his production is streaky.

My :twocents:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I think you hold on to DD and try and move him in the offseason when him and Damon are both in large expiring deals...

I would rather hold on to Q at this point as well - we figured out that he's not the future at point guard, but take away the SG/SF logjam by letting Person go and possibly moving Patterson or DA and he could still prove to be a very good player.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Q and Miles seem very similar to me with the edge going to Miles on defense. Getting rid of Person means we have no real outside shooter. We need that Kerr like player and Person fits that role. Dale is tanking games and doesn't care, that you can see with his play of late.

I just think getting rid of DD and Q makes sense, I understand it's hard to move DA right now but I see an unhappy bench with Q and DD in the near future.

Don't get me wrong I love Q but Miles can't help Q's playing time, not to mention Patterson and being behind DA and even Person at the two makes it even harder.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Q is a way better shooter than Miles, he just doesn't have any confidence in himself right now. Miles is the better defender, and probably a better ball-handler. They aren't really similar. Miles actually plays in the post, while Q is actually more of a prototypical wing. I don't see why the two of them can't play together.

All I know is, Qyntel Woods' situation is very reminiscent of Jermaine O'Neal. Stuck behind some veterans, not very confident when he's on the floor, seems somewhat expendable....

If we trade Qyntel I expect every one who was in favor of the trade to stick by it. I hear way too many people complaining about the Jermaine deal, and hearing the same things about Qyntel in a couple years would really get on my nerves.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's fine and all but he's got to play some real minutes in order to see how good he can be and gain some real confidence, where do you see real minutes coming for him here?

Cheeks doesn't look like he has any confidence or patience in developing Q, am I wrong?

I think Q should be developed but that doesn't mean he will.

In the last two weeks Miles has been aquired and a new PG. How good can you feel if your Q at this point about your playing time?

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
How good is DA playing right now? Person is more of a bench guy, as is Patterson, why not give Q a shot at shooting guard? I would love to see a starting lineup of

Stoudamire
Woods
Miles
Randolph
Wallace

I would like to point to Joe Johnson as a perfect example. Johnson started out the year very poorly, but the Suns stuck by him and now he is ripping it up. If your coach displays some trust in you, you're going to build some confidence. That's what happened with Jermaine. They told him he was starting no matter what, and look what happened?

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NateBishop3</b>!
why not give Q a shot at shooting guard?
I agree. It's one of the reasons that I support my CHI/LAC trade idea. Let Qyntel have Person's minutes this season and give him time to develop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts