Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outlaw- Reminds me of the Matrix, when Neo starts realizing his potential and begins to have confidence in himself, he is unstoppable. Sure Outlaw isn't unstoppable but he has really came strong these past few games. I'm being impressed and at the time, I didn't like drafting him but he's making me a believer. I think the single biggest aspect Travis needs to work on is ball handeling.

Telfair- I don't need to say much. From the beginning of the preseason until now, is night and day. You can visibly see he is becoming better and better. He is a hard worker much like Zach and it is evident by his work on the floor. His jump shot is becoming more and more consistent and something the opposition must guard. I'd like to see Telfair get around 15 shots a game, every game. I want to see him taking the ball to the rim more often as well. He is definitly the reason why I even check box scores anymore.

Viktor- Nothing spectacular out of this guy, just solid fundamental basketball. He's made a lot of mistakes but that is to be expected at this point. He is a very good rebounder and doesn't have any agenda besides being a solid role player. I'm sure the injury has made him less confident about himself than he should be, he will learn the NBA game more and start playing with more confidence.

Pryz- Consistently being the back bone that Theo should have been for this team. A few weeks prior I was saying that maybe we should trade him before he hits the wall but he's doing his work consistently and at 25 years old he's a gem. I'm just hoping we can resign him after next season.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
You gotta also love Pryz's heart. He had cramps but boy he wanted that W. He wanted to be in that game from start to finish. Its amazing he still had the energy to keep playing in the 4th. No Theo the past 2 games and it was the tail end of a back to back. We need to keep this guy around.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
You gotta also love Pryz's heart. He had cramps but boy he wanted that W. He wanted to be in that game from start to finish. Its amazing he still had the energy to keep playing in the 4th. No Theo the past 2 games and it was the tail end of a back to back. We need to keep this guy around.
Is it just me or has his offensive game improved ten-fold since the start of the season? In November I couldn't tell if his game was any better than Stepania. If his offensive game can improve as much next season as it has this season, he's going to be an absolute monster.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Sambonius said:
Pryz- Consistently being the back bone that Theo should have been for this team. A few weeks prior I was saying that maybe we should trade him before he hits the wall but he's doing his work consistently and at 25 years old he's a gem. I'm just hoping we can resign him after next season.
hope is a good thing, but it's also good to keep some perspective.. after next season why would Joel pass on the 8-11 mil per deals he's likely to generate, to sign a 5-6 mil per deal with the Blazers? What athlete leaves tens of millions on the table? Of course the new CBA could change the rules regarding team's resigning their players who they don't hold Bird rights to, but if they don't change them then Portland's "back bone" is leaving town IMO.

STOMP

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
yep. that's why how the new CBA comes out is so critical to portland. there's no way we are getting him to stay under the current rules.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Outlaw- I definitely think T-Law can be compared to Marion as far as athleticism, but Travis' jump shot is so much more pure than that ugly thing Marion calls a jumper. I think because Travis has a fundamentally better jumper, he can go much much farther in this league. I told you guys I saw something special in this kid and I'm standing by that original statement.

Telfair- To be honest, I have been just the smallest bit disappointed in Bassy. I know I know, he's played very well considering, but I honestly thought he'd hit the starting lineup at a run. I don't think he's being aggressive enough on offense. That's not to say I'm not happy with his progress. I am. I still think he's going to be great. I just wish he would grab the reigns of this team and run it like I know he can.

Viktor - The more I watch this guy, the more I think he could be a Ruben Patterson with a more polished offensive game. That's a very encouraging sign. It means we won't have to worry about him demanding starters minutes. I think he will be a nice player off the bench, much like Rube. A defensive stopper, an energy guy, but with an outside shot. He's also taller than Rube.

Prz - I have been SO impressed by Przybilla. I can't say enough. His attitude, his approach to the game, and just the way he has performed as whole. This guy is a class act. I hope we can keep him. The biggest reason I think he has started to shine for us is because we have ACTUALLY GIVEN HIM THE BALL. If you've noticed, Prz has excelled when we ran the pick and roll with him. We got away from it when Bassy first took over, and then I heard Nick came in and showed Telfair a little trick on how to make the entry pass. Prz has been huge ever since.

Overall I am SO excited about our future. I can't wait to see what Monia is like.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
This Blazers team is pathetic and the youngsters have done little to impress me at this point. The only guy that has shown me something is Przybilla and he will almost certainly be playing for another team after next season. Nice move management.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
how will he be playing for another team? He's under contract for next season as well...

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
HA- his body has improved a lot, his is strong and slimmer than when I saw him agianst in first us game, if he keeps improving like he has, he is playing when most people had him not evening bein actived. HA has a huge upside that includes toppingly Yao as the best asian center but HA could also not improve at all from now. But, lets hope HA because solid in the future.

Viktor and Monia the Thunderbrothers will be solid, Telfair and Joel have a contection, woods....who? lol weve got Outlaw and frahm has been shooting better.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Briefly...

Outlaw - unbelievable athleticism paired with a willingness to be coached. If we get the right guy running the team next year, Outlaw could be starting material.

Khyrapa - a small forward who pounds the boards and makes smart passes. I agree with NB3, he's like a taller Ruben Patterson with a shot.

Ha - has a long, long, LONG way to go, but with the occasional block and lay-up, he might get there. It'll be years, though.

Telfair - he's making the adjustment, and as ought to be expected, he's having good games and bad. His raw talent and work ethic will get him somewhere.

I don't really count Joel in with the rest of the youngsters, since he's actually been a regular reserve and occasional starter for other teams. But I am impressed and hope that the Blazers find a way to extend him.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
tlong said:
This Blazers team is pathetic and the youngsters have done little to impress me at this point. The only guy that has shown me something is Przybilla and he will almost certainly be playing for another team after next season. Nice move management.
so if they signed him to a 3 year deal, and he stunk, would you be happy?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Sambonius said:
Viktor- Nothing spectacular out of this guy, just solid fundamental basketball. He's made a lot of mistakes but that is to be expected at this point. He is a very good rebounder and doesn't have any agenda besides being a solid role player. I'm sure the injury has made him less confident about himself than he should be, he will learn the NBA game more and start playing with more confidence.
Also, Viktor has made some really impressive passes (especially in the paint) during each of the games he's played in since the "youth movement" began. In fact, I think he's already the 2nd best passer on the team behind Telfair. It's easy to overlook that aspect of his game, but it's definately there. I think Viktor's one of our more well-rounded youngsters. But you're right about the mistakes. Gotta work on that.

I really hope we get the chance to see Khyapa and Monya in action together.

PBF

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
tlong said:
You could ALWAYS change your screen name to "DebbieDowner". It'd fit a whole helluva lot better. :curse:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Sambonius said:
I don't know if I'd consider him a "youngster". I think he's doing well, but I don't know if he is to be considered the same way Telfair and Outlaw are.

He's in the early to mid part of his career.

Play.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Tince said:
Is it just me or has his offensive game improved ten-fold since the start of the season? In November I couldn't tell if his game was any better than Stepania.
He's definitely more aggressive, but it hasn't improved much.

He is just getting a LOT of open looks. Reef is pulling two defenders to his side and people aren't rolling when Prz sets screens ... which is wonderful for us ... but they'll adjust.

If his offensive game can improve as much next season as it has this season, he's going to be an absolute monster.
I don't think he'll ever be an offensive guy outside of what he does now. He'll get the open looks and dunk them, but outside of that ... nah... his footwork isn't the best, to say the least.

I could be wrong, but my experience has been that centers without footwork don't make much for offense.

Play.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
He is just getting a LOT of open looks. Reef is pulling two defenders to his side and people aren't rolling when Prz sets screens ... which is wonderful for us ... but they'll adjust.

I don't think he'll ever be an offensive guy outside of what he does now. He'll get the open looks and dunk them, but outside of that ... nah... his footwork isn't the best, to say the least.
QUOTE]

Couple things....

1. Your right. Pryz has been getting open looks on the oposite of the hoop when teams come to help against the 1 on 1 player or the dribble penetrator on the other. It's not just Shareef that's drawing the players from Pryz.
2. Set a good screen and cut to the hoop. If done well you can get an open shot from one of the two almost every time.
3. We can only hope that players will take the open shots they have as they come in the system rather then try and force something up over and through 3 defenders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts