Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a trying season in Chicago, it has been no surprise future Bulls free agents Jamal Crawford and Marcus Fizer have been looking for potential new homes. Their eyes have gazing in the direction of Denver.

Crawford and Fizer said before Wednesday's 115-99 loss to the Nuggets at the Pepsi Center that they will consider the Nuggets when they become restricted free agents this summer.

Crawford, a guard who had 20 points Wednesday to raise his average to 16.9, is the more attractive option.

"Definitely," said Crawford, when asked if he would be interested in Denver. "They've got an up-and-coming team. I hope it works out in Chicago. If not, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've been watching Denver from afar."

The Nuggets could have more than $22 million of salary-cap room. They will look for a big man and possibly a shooting guard who can play some point.

"Yeah, definitely," said Crawford, when asked if that scenario would make him a good fit for the Nuggets.

Fizer's value has gone down a great deal since he suffered a torn right anterior cruciate ligament midway through last season.

Fizer, who averaged 12.3 points in 2001-02 and 11.7 last season, is averaging a career-low 6.3. But there is still time for the power forward, who had 16 points off the bench Wednesday, to get his game back before free agency begins.

"There's no question," Fizer said of his interest in the Nuggets. "These guys are doing extremely well."

Why do I get the feeling we will see a lot of these type quotes as the year goes on? Unless of course neither guy is here past the Feb 19th trading deadline.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If by "these type quotes" you mean that every time Jamal talks about the offseason he says that he wants to stick with the Bulls and win here, then I hope we see a lot of them.

I don't think I've ever seen a quote by Jamal about being traded or free agency where he hasn't expressed his desire to stay and his belief that the young core can get it together.:)

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Parabull</b>!
If by "these type quotes" you mean that every time Jamal talks about the offseason he says that he wants to stick with the Bulls and win here, then I hope we see a lot of them.

I don't think I've ever seen a quote by Jamal about being traded or free agency where he hasn't expressed his desire to stay and his belief that the young core can get it together.:)
Neither have I, that always seems to be his first choice. Still, you have to wonder if all of the losing is getting old.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if Jamal is tired of losing then him and his but buddy Curry should do something about it. I have had enough of both of them.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
Well if Jamal is tired of losing then him and his but buddy Curry should do something about it. I have had enough of both of them.
Crawford had 20 4 & 4 last night. Curry had what 21pts? Sure he needed to rebound more. It's not like these two are capable of carrying the whole team. They need guys around them that can play!

And you realy should say stuff like "but buddy" man, thats not very classy from a Bulls fan.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey, its a business. You can't blame them for tossing bouquets in the direction of potential suitors. Especially suitors who will have cap space to spare.

Players in their situation on 13-33 teams are focused first and foremost on their financial futures. They're not thinking about playoffs, that's for sure. And while I'm sure they'd like to be contributors to a Bulls turnaround, you'd better believe that from this point on they're playing for a new contract first and winning becomes a secondary objective. And with both players having endured the trauma of serious knee injuries in the past and knowing what it takes to rehab, don't expect them to risk life and limb on the basketball court. Another injury to either player could leave them as unemployed, damaged goods this summer.

Its really a tough situation for everyone involved. From this point on will Crawford and Fizer be playing to win first or to impress other teams and protect their health? Whatever their motivation might be you can't fault them for thinking one way or another. And that's too bad. Had we been a playoff contender our expectations of these two guys might be different. But we're not and we have to deal with the whole situation as it relates to JC and MF. And what's worse is that if we're still losers next season, will be doing this all over again and questioning the motivation of Chandler and Curry.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are so right CB. But lets be honest when has Crawford ever risked life and limb on the basketball court. He avoids contact like its the plague or something. Oh and ACE I apologize that comment was uncalled for. It is just the frustration talking.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I like Crawford. My beef is with Curry, and my worry is that JC will be upset if his friend is traded and he will will leave too. Its a business though, I hope he understands that. Infact, seperating the two could allow for more work to be done. Kind of like an elementary school teacher seperating two best friends so they can work on their homework individually, and they end up getting more work done that way.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting analogy with Crawford and Curry and elementary kids. Sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I understand the frustration basghetti, I have it too! Believe me I definitley can relate. It just seems to me that neither JC or Curry are ready to be our #1 options (and thats not a slam on them as players, they are where they are) but they have been thrust into that role and it's a problem. This team needs a legitimate scoring threat to put with the kids. Anyway, it is definitley frustrating.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There in lies the problem, what do we do? Do we wait some more to see if they can grow in being our top 2 options or do we acquire via trade someone who can be? Because if we go the trade route then they have to be moved to get that level of player. But if we wait on them then we will continue to stink for a long while more because besides those two we do not have assets necessary to get a #1 option.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
There in lies the problem, what do we do? Do we wait some more to see if they can grow in being our top 2 options or do we acquire via trade someone who can be? Because if we go the trade route then they have to be moved to get that level of player. But if we wait on them then we will continue to stink for a long while more because besides those two we do not have assets necessary to get a #1 option.
That is definitley the problem. My solution would be to hold onto Chandler, Curry, Hinrich, and Crawford and build around those guys. I'd probably also try to hang on to JYD & Dupree but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'd trade everything else that I could get anything of good value for, including furture draft picks. Of course the only problem is I'm not sure what the Bulls could get worthwhile. I think that the orginization needs to make some adjustments from within. I'd hire more quality asst coaches to work with the young players. I'd revamp the scouting department.

Still, I don't think there is much the Bulls can do to prevent a long losing season. Even if you deal Curry and Crawford you probably won't get anyone back thats gonna wow you too much. The Bulls might as well let it ride and see what they can do with the "spare parts" of the team rather than the core IMO.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We keep all four guys and trade Davis,JYD,Gill,etc for someone this team will be even worse than now. You can't have 4 young players like that to win in this league. I am sorry you build around a couple guys then find vets that compliment them. See Denver with Melo and Nene. Miller is young I know but he is established. Then guys like Boykins,Camby,Lenard,etc compliment Melo and Nene. I say let Hinrich and Chandler be our two then move JC and Curry for some established young talents like Lewis or someone similiar.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
We keep all four guys and trade Davis,JYD,Gill,etc for someone this team will be even worse than now. You can't have 4 young players like that to win in this league. I am sorry you build around a couple guys then find vets that compliment them. See Denver with Melo and Nene. Miller is young I know but he is established. Then guys like Boykins,Camby,Lenard,etc compliment Melo and Nene. I say let Hinrich and Chandler be our two then move JC and Curry for some established young talents like Lewis or someone similiar. [/QUOTE

We aren't GOING to win in this league. Not this year. Regardless of whether we keep Curry & Crawford or deal them for R. Lewis or whomever. I agree that you have to have a couple of really good players and you build around them. BUt, I think with the Bulls it could be any of the 4 Curry, Chandler, Crawford, & Hinrich or maybe three out of them or maybe all of them. EVen if they don't ALL become stars, I think that they are all at the very least capable of being solid complimentary players. You DO need solid vets to compliment these players. AD, Gill, E-Rob, Pip, and Brunson aren't those guys.

I think that if you move Curry & Crawford as a knee jerk reaction to losing this season then your going to get ripped off and be upset about it later. Dealing these two without making the RIGHT deal could set this franchise back even further. Obviously our young players need to keep developing and they aren't there yet, but IMO, the problem is more that they are being relied on to play at a "star" level when none of them are ready for that...yet.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!
Hey, its a business. You can't blame them for tossing bouquets in the direction of potential suitors. Especially suitors who will have cap space to spare.

Players in their situation on 13-33 teams are focused first and foremost on their financial futures. They're not thinking about playoffs, that's for sure. And while I'm sure they'd like to be contributors to a Bulls turnaround, you'd better believe that from this point on they're playing for a new contract first and winning becomes a secondary objective. And with both players having endured the trauma of serious knee injuries in the past and knowing what it takes to rehab, don't expect them to risk life and limb on the basketball court. Another injury to either player could leave them as unemployed, damaged goods this summer.

Its really a tough situation for everyone involved. From this point on will Crawford and Fizer be playing to win first or to impress other teams and protect their health? Whatever their motivation might be you can't fault them for thinking one way or another. And that's too bad. Had we been a playoff contender our expectations of these two guys might be different. But we're not and we have to deal with the whole situation as it relates to JC and MF. And what's worse is that if we're still losers next season, will be doing this all over again and questioning the motivation of Chandler and Curry.
5 star post. I agree. We're in that mess that the Clippers found themselves in last year when they had several free agents up and coming who were in the same situation. I think it's not as bad now. But if for instance, neither is traded by the trading deadline, then you are going to see both Fizer and Crawford looking out for themselves more and more.

Though I dont know how Fizer could play anymore selfishly. I think he's been in that mode for awhile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts