Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOS ANGELES -- Even though the Knicks are working to change Jamal Crawford into more of a passer and less of a shooter, Stephon Marbury offered some contradictory advice Monday after Crawford admitted to being confused by the transition.

Crawford said he didn't know when to shoot and when to pass, so Marbury suggested he try what has always worked for him.

"When in doubt, shoot," Marbury said. "That's how I look at it."

It was like an old Western sheriff giving instructions to his deputies, only in Crawford's case, it's shoot first and answer questions later.

Advice like Marbury's could undo everything the Knicks have been trying to accomplish with Crawford. But Marbury, sensing his teammate has lost his confidence on the court, said he would not hold any grudges if Crawford reverted to being the shoot-first scorer he used to be, as long as the emphasis is on scoring and not just shooting.

"Jamal can take 25 shots on this team and no one would get mad," Marbury said. "I mean, I wouldn't get mad because, if he's shooting the ball that way, I would assume he's hitting. I don't think he's going to go out and shoot the ball if he's not hitting. So, for him, he just has to continue to be aggressive."
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1112166698260250.xml

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I threw up in my mouth reading that...

Does anyone think the Knicks would be better off giving marbury more minutes at the off guard and trying to find a taller point guard or a point foward?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
MPK said:
Does anyone think the Knicks would be better off giving marbury more minutes at the off guard and trying to find a taller point guard or a point foward?
I think the knicks would be better off starting jamal at point(he is 6'5") and seeing where it goes from there..I have been saying this for weeks..He is lost,and marbury should shut the #$%^ up.Other than Spree,marbury says the dumbest things.

I think Crawford would be perfecty happy playing point and setting his teamates up.Marbury believes in himself and not enough in his teamates where he dominates the ball way too much in crunch time.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
truth said:
I think the knicks would be better off starting jamal at point(he is 6'5") and seeing where it goes from there..I have been saying this for weeks..He is lost,and marbury should shut the #$%^ up.Other than Spree,marbury says the dumbest things.

I think Crawford would be perfecty happy playing point and setting his teamates up.Marbury believes in himself and not enough in his teamates where he dominates the ball way too much in crunch time.
It is worth it to try that idea over the final part of the season. If Marbury devoted more energies to scoring I could see him among the league leaders...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
jamal should bulk up this offseason, and if he doesnt, then well....what can i say.

he has to drive to the damn hoop! hes a good finisher and has one of the best handles in the league. hes gotta use it to his advantage. our offense has sucked forever. its always isolations and pick n rolls. we were playing our best ball with frank starting. where the hell has that ball movement gone?

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
Jamal's problems on defense

"Jamal can take 25 shots and no one on this team will get mad," Marbury added. "I know I won't get mad because if he's shooting the ball that way I'm assuming he's hitting. He has to continue to be aggressive. He's having growing pains. It's something we all go through, not knowing when to shoot it and when to pass."
"I thought a couple of times he just got beat on defense," said Williams, who replaced Crawford with backup point guard Jermaine Jackson. "If you're not playing defense and not doing other things, somebody else is going to come in."
The mind is the matter

Crawford's confusion stemmed from a decision by interim coach Herb Williams to bench him midway through the third quarter of the Knicks' 108-100 loss to the Warriors in favor of journeyman Jermaine Jackson, who spent most of the season in the Continental Basketball Association.
Crawford declined to second-guess his coach. "I can only go in when coach calls my number," Crawford said. "If you look at the last, I guess, three weeks, it's kind of been like that. I'm just adjusting."
Crawford has been conscious of making the extra pass and trying to take his shots in the flow of the offense, and that approach seemed to be paying dividends until this road trip when Crawford struggled. "To be honest with you, I think I'm confused," Crawford said after the benching. "I'm thinking too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts