Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW YORK—Oh, that Jamal Crawford.

"It's funny how things change," said Crawford, the former Bull who was the Knicks' big off-season acquisition in a sign-and-trade deal. "I'm not bitter. I'm happy for the guys who had to go through the craziness and the things that happened, Eddy (Curry), Tyson (Chandler) and Kirk (Hinrich).

"Because I left, that's not the reason they are winning. I looked at Dallas at midseason and they had a better record [than last year] without Steve Nash. That doesn't mean he's a bad apple. You just go out and play as hard as you can and be professional.

"I'm happy here. The season hasn't gone like we wanted. But we're building for the future. Short term is not our goal. I feel we have the pieces in place to build something."

Crawford, who scored 22 points Friday night, has been taking some criticism as the Knicks have fallen out of playoff contention. One New York columnist wrote Friday about how much better the Bulls are with Ben Gordon and another opined the Bulls led the season series 4-0—three victories and the dumping of Crawford.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...ory?coll=cs-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
One New York columnist wrote Friday about how much better the Bulls are with Ben Gordon and another opined the Bulls led the season series 4-0—three victories and the dumping of Crawford.
Please.

They say this as if the Knicks were any good before Crawford. They wanna blame somebody for that mess? Lemme think....

Crawford is not the prototype player by any means, but he's not to blame for the ****hole that they are in.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Actually it goes even higher -

Charles F. Dolan

Look what gets blamed on Reinsdorf and we actually won six titles, built a new arena and built a new training complex.

Its time the media and NY fans start laying the blame where it belongs - at the owners feet. All we ever hear is NY won't accept a loser so they have to spend (check) to stay competive (uh, no-check). Ownership in New York is every bit as inept as ownership on the Clip Ship.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Good point Mr. T.

But with Isiah, I just find it funny because I don't think he has any design on what type of team to build. I just don't think he's trying to build a cohesive unit that can win games. He's merely trying to stockpile talent and in some occasions get a flashy, Sportscenter highlight reel player to entertain the crowd.

Seems pretty pathetic to me. Fans, no matter where they are from (not even New York :biggrin: ) deserve better.

He was a great player, but as a coach or GM, the guys a disgrace to basketball.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Man, regular NYC fans are rarely at the Garden. The Garden has been brought up by basically all the corporate folks. Hopefully when the Nets move to Brooklyn more regular NYers will be present at the Garden.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've had several squabbles with many of Jamal's fans on various boards over the years but I think it's ridiculous to single him out as the reason for the Knicks struggles. As two posters mentioned earlier and I agree, the biggest problems are Dolan and Isiah. Isiah made a couple decent moves in getting rid of some payroll early on, but in my opinion he looks like he's in over his head. As much as I have always hated the Knicks, I almost feel bad for their fans (but not really, considering I'm a White Sox fan and long suffering Bulls fan). With their payroll and contracts they're obligated to, it's going to take some tremendous moves to get out of the mess Layden and Thomas have them in.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
at least you guys got 6 championships in your lifetime.

im a jamal fan, maybe cause hes a knick, i dunno. but without crawford, this team would be in atlanta territory. the team fell apart whenn stephon proclaimed himself the "best pg in the nba." we were 16-13 when he said that....then we sucked.sure you could blame allan houston missing 70 games, but who cares. i blame stephon marbury.

and blame scott layden please. isiah has not done a bad job with what he was given. for all the long contracts the media says hes getting, they all expire the same year as Houstons contract. jerome, mo taylor etc. expire the same year as allan. and there will be no cap room until allan houston expires. Until next season is over, we cant really judge isiah.

its not like he traded patrick ewing for what ended up as Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley. He didnt trade a first round pick for Othella Harrington. He didnt trade Childs and a first round pick for a 35 year old mark jackson. He didnt trade for a hobbled antonio mcdyess while giving up Camby and Nene. He didnt outbid himself by 20 million for allan houston. if layden never existed, i think we would be in a better situation today. actually, i know that.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
dkg1 said:
I've had several squabbles with many of Jamal's fans on various boards over the years but I think it's ridiculous to single him out as the reason for the Knicks struggles. As two posters mentioned earlier and I agree, the biggest problems are Dolan and Isiah. Isiah made a couple decent moves in getting rid of some payroll early on, but in my opinion he looks like he's in over his head. As much as I have always hated the Knicks, I almost feel bad for their fans (but not really, considering I'm a White Sox fan and long suffering Bulls fan). With their payroll and contracts they're obligated to, it's going to take some tremendous moves to get out of the mess Layden and Thomas have them in.
I agree with your assessment, dkg1. The reason the Bulls are better this year than last doesn't really have much to do with Crawford, and the blame for the Knicks woes doesn't fall squarely on Jamal's narrow shoulders.

·
Registered
514 Posts
While I totally agree that Jamal is not to blame fo rthe Knicks woes, I think it is also wrong to say that Jamal leaving hasn't helped the Bulls. The bulls have lived on defense and team play this year. Crawford would have been an impediment to that. Never mind that the players we received ( including the subsequent Houston trade) have contributed more than Jamal ever did.

Jamal is a great schoolyard talent. He just doesn't understand what it takes to be a winning NBA player. That's ok because Jamal is happy and I certainly wish him well. There is still an outside chance that he could develop but not with Starbury. If he was with Kidd then maybe he would learn.

Isiah is what Jordon would have been if he remained a General Manager.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
naturally all three papers had a similar story on crawford - but only the sun-times leads with this angle:

NEW YORK -- Earlier this season, Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf essentially said that the Bulls were better off without Jamal Crawford, who was sent to the New York Knicks last offseason via a sign-and-trade deal after four years in Chicago.

Now that the Bulls (43-32) are headed to the playoffs and the Knicks (29-45) are headed on vacation when the regular season concludes later this month, more people are starting to think that way.

''I can't control what people think. I can just be who I am,'' Crawford said Friday before the Bulls beat the Knicks 102-94 at Madison Square Garden. ''I know that just because I left, that's not the reason they're winning, because they started out 0-9.

''It was funny. I looked at the midway point this year, [and] Dallas had a better record without Steve Nash than with Steve Nash. That doesn't mean he was the bad apple in that group.''

Crawford was asked if he ever wondered how good the Bulls would be this season if he still was on the team.

''No, not really,'' he said. ''I'm happy here. The season hasn't gone like we wanted it, but it's not a short-term fix. We're trying to build where we can be very competitive. We feel like we have some pieces in place. We just have to build around it.

Sun-Times

the knicks are a mess and it is outrageously unfair to suggest that it's jamal's fault. sure we can snicker and make fun of the comments, mostly from the mouth of marbury - the whole i am the best pg thing, the we're gonna impress the fans with lots of oohs and aaahs and backcourt trickery - but it should fall squarely on ownership, imo. the dolans are the ones who hired zeke. and now they are fighting amongst themselves, holding msg network hostage from timewarner cable subscribers, and generally messin' with a storied franchise. it's a shame.

the game last night was nearly sold out. as was the game i attended on mlk day. the fans ooh and aah at the flashy moves...but ultimately walk out of the place just utterly dejected. that's not a fun fan experience.

i do however think we are a better team without jamal because of the defense we play, and we all know how much jamal just loved playing defense. not. i am glad we have ben and loul and chris. and after listening to the very critical running commentary of the knick fans seated behind me last night, i am glad he is now their problem.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Cager said:
While I totally agree that Jamal is not to blame fo rthe Knicks woes, I think it is also wrong to say that Jamal leaving hasn't helped the Bulls. The bulls have lived on defense and team play this year. Crawford would have been an impediment to that. Never mind that the players we received ( including the subsequent Houston trade) have contributed more than Jamal ever did.

Jamal is a great schoolyard talent. He just doesn't understand what it takes to be a winning NBA player. That's ok because Jamal is happy and I certainly wish him well. There is still an outside chance that he could develop but not with Starbury. If he was with Kidd then maybe he would learn.
Thats pretty much how I feel. I don't think Crawford is what makes the Knicks worse. Isaiah Thomas is putting together one of the worst GM jobs in the history of the league if you consider salaries.

But, on the contrary, I do believe the Bulls are better off without Crawford. I do believe his style of play, and the ramifications from Skiles for playing that way, would have been a disruptive influence on the team this year. Crawford, as a man, is not a "cancer". But his game would be to this particular type of Bulls team.

As to him saying he's not bitter - what else would you expect him to say?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Ron Cey said:
Your signature lacks an exclamation point. 43-32.
Already updated.... yawn

btw, the knicks loss total, the bulls wins total and the date were also obviously not udpated. thanks for the insight.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
i cant blame the knicks problems on dolan or thomas if they were healthy they would be better, not title contending better but i think they would have made the playoffs, specifically if houston was healthy they would be a lot better , they are a jumpshooting team without their best jumpshooter , thats like having a post oriented team without their best post player , its just isn't going to work out like that, unless a team completely changes their focus and the knicks aren't going to do that unless they get another standout player to play, who plays a different style.

Everone loves to blame cap space or lack thereof for the knicks woes but its a horrible reason , the major reason being a high salary never stopped any other team from making deals and it hasn't stopped the knicks either, i find it hard to believe the blazers couldn't have exceeded the warriors offer for baron davis with all the depth and ending contracts they have. , the knicks made 2 deals at the deadline , just like the next highest salaried team the mavericks who also made a deal at the deadline , it hasn't stopped them.

their problem to me is injuries and a lack of true position players , crawford to me has always been if i had to pick a position a tall point guard not a skinny 2, they have no other shooting guards on their active roster right now and they have no centers save for bruno sundov who shouldn't count because he is a bad player, they play a bunch of power forwards in the center spot, avg. sized ones at that and some undersized power forwards at center , thats not going to get you many wins if that guy isn't charles barkley, and that can be blamed squarely on thomas , because i think he did that at midseason to tank, and it took a month but the losses eventually came in tank fashion.

but he's said all along he wanted to trade his big contracts next year for better players, and they were essentially holding fort until then, what he does then tells on his GM skills more than anything done thus far, Dolan is not an active owner he lets his basketball minds make all the decisions , he has no imput, therefore he gets no credit when things go well and no blame when they dont because he does nothing but hire guys and let them do their job with no sys. of checks and balances unlike Jerry R. who really only cares when it cost him money.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Re: Crawford says he's not bitterhttp://basketballboards.net/forum/newreply.php?do=ne

Jamal isn't really comparing his situation to Nash's, is he?

Nash's previous owner wanted him to stay...we can't say with any certainty that Jamal was a wanted quantity around here.

Both Nash's old and new teams are progressing, but Jamal has now failed to make any meaningful, positive impact on two franchises...and may start the next season on a third.

See http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/6721616637326928/ for reference.

·
Reverse Psychologist
2,553 Posts
At some point, Jamal's going to have to stop diverting responsibility and denying the problem and come to the realization that his entire approach to playing basketball is ridiculous. I've never heard or seen anything to suggest that he is aware of how bad he is.

He needs to have an epiphany, one where he thinks, "I'VE GOT IT! I'M NOT GOING TO SHOOT SO MANY 3'S ANYMORE!"

Don't say, "it's not that simple;" it IS that simple.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Re: Crawford says he's not bitterhttp://basketballboards.net/forum/newreply.php?do=ne

GB said:
Jamal isn't really comparing his situation to Nash's, is he?

Nash's previous owner wanted him to stay...we can't say with any certainty that Jamal was a wanted quantity around here.

Both Nash's old and new teams are progressing, but Jamal has now failed to make any meaningful, positive impact on two franchises...and may start the next season on a third.

See http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/6721616637326928/ for reference.
Actually Cuban and Pax wanted Nash and jamal to stay put but at the teams price not at players so yeah actually it is a similar situation.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts