Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3021 - 3025 of 3025 Posts

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
Honestly, bumping threads to get personal shots in. Shameless. SCANDALOUS!
Hardly the right way, imo.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Hey! A Knicks thread...ok, I'll play:

It's become pretty clear that the Knicks wouldn't have traded for Crawford in August 2004 if Brown had been the coach then. Yet Brown yesterday sounded almost empathetic when asked about Crawford's play.

"You have to understand he's been asked to play an entirely different role than he's played in the past," Brown said. "I looked at his stats and he took more three-pointers by two-thirds than he did foul shots before. He had no mid-range game, he never drove it to the goal, he never had to guard the best player.

"All that has changed. It's a real learning curve."

The fact that Crawford is struggling hasn't been lost on his teammates. Even Jalen Rose, who has been with the team for only three games, has noticed, and relates it to his struggles when he was younger.
One day Brown is going to come out and say something that totally pins the blame for the struggles of his players on their start in the Bulls organization. You mark my words we'll hear it:

"I really like Curry...you just wonder what kind of player he'd be today if he had a different introduction to the league. I mean, how many players went through there and didn't meet their potential? Jamal, Eddy, the Fizer kid...it really makes you wonder..."

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
A Player Gets It Right in a Season That's All Wrong

After practice on Saturday, Crawford acknowledged that basketball is a business and that the Knicks have a surplus of guards.

But Crawford said he wanted to remain in New York, and he is doing all the right things to cement his future with the team. His 14-foot jumper with 2.2 seconds left in Friday's game against the Detroit Pistons sealed an unlikely 105-103 victory.

The person Crawford needs to impress the most has taken notice.

"He told me he wanted to get better when I got the job, and he wanted to be coached," Coach Larry Brown said. "It's obvious to me that he's tried to do everything I've asked."

Earlier this week, Stephon Marbury issued a plea for more freedom on offense, sparking a verbal spat through the news media between him and Brown. The coach responded by pointing out that he had already given Marbury more freedom than any guard he had ever coached.

Asked if Crawford was the epitome of a player who always tried his best, Brown said: "Yeah, he's exceptional. You know, I've been blessed coaching a lot of great kids. But he's at the top of the list."
--
Crawford has not complained about his role as a reserve, and Brown recently complimented him on his defensive abilities. Crawford has listened intently to everything Brown has said during practice, sometimes too literally.
--
"When he puts his mind to it," Brown said of Marbury, "I think he's an exceptional defender."

Brown is looking for players who will put their minds to it all the time, and he seems to believe he has found one in Crawford.
Willing to be a reserve? Check.

Willing to defend? Check.

Big guard? Check.

Possibly available? Check.

Mature? Ch...ch...Check!(?)

Maybe theres the big 2 we've been looking for. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/sports/basketball/19knicks.html

3021 - 3025 of 3025 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.