Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this on TSN.

The Bulls say first round pick PG Jay Williams and G Jamal Crawford can co-exist. But Crawford threatened to skip summer league workouts and has complained that Williams already has the point guard job. The Bulls would be wise to trade Crawford now, but Jerry Krause is asking for too much. ... Excitement is building about the team's young nucleus. With the additions of Williams, SF Jalen Rose and a healthy SF Eddie Robinson, to go with C Eddy Curry and PF Tyson Chandler, the Bulls might be competing for a playoff spot. They will likely play Trenton Hassell at shooting guard to upgrade the defense, and they will try to add a veteran big man.
Here is the link going over the Central:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/teams/bulls/20020723.html

The interesting thing to note is that Crawford threatened to pull an Artest and skip summer league because of the way the Bulls dealt with the starting point guard job.

I don't see much changing in JWill starting at point and it is looking more and more with Crawford's actions and his poor shooting that it is going to be backup PG or the highway for him.

Hassel has put up decent stats for summer league and I think after last year's performances there is the starting SG.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
You know what the wierd thing is? This goes against everything he has said recently and it goes against his actions. I consider TSN to be less reliable than ESPN Insider and I think that says a whole lot. Anyways, it sounds like the writer just made up something that would seem logical, given the situation JC is in, but based on his words AND actions, it seems false.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KC,

What exactly are you basing your criticism of The Sporting News on?

Crawford may not have gone public yet, but this is a business as so many people have said, including you. How is Crawford supposed to take being told he is a future star at the point and then watching his team take a PG with their first pick?

We come back to Occam's razor. What exactly does TSN have to gain by reporting this? Your conspiracy theory that it is made up is implausible. There is plenty to write about the Bulls, and to act like this is the first time someone has mentioned the Crawford and Williams situation is just wrong.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Ok, answer this. If he complained to sit out before the camp actually happened, how come TSN is the only site/newspaper to run this story? How come we haven't heard anything of this from the Trib. or form ESPN or anywhere else? Actions speak louder than words and Jamal is doing what he is supposed to do. These comments seem shaky and yes TSN has something to gain by spreading false rumors. It makes people like you spead their article all over the place, wheras if they didn't say anything "juicy" they wouldn't get as much attention.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If juicy sells then why isn't ESPN and the Trib making stuff up? Why would ESPN or the Trib be the only source of news for the Bulls? Hate to tell you but The Sporting News has been around for a long while and they do not have a credibility issue. They also could care less about the 4 or 5 hits that are going to be sent there way from Crawford fanatics angry about them reporting on something that has been discussed on ESPN and on other places.

Here is a question for you. What exactly are people like me? People that found an interesting story about a team a follow, sharing it with other people that might find it interesting?

Jamal is playing in the summer league but that action has almost nothing to do with the threats he made. It has everything to do with JWill's apparent security in grabbing the starting PG spot.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
ESPN makes up stuff as well. I trust the Trib. most of the time and If this was actually true, then there is no reason why it wouldn't have been covered by other sources. So you can believe one sentence from a site that has lied in the past, but I'll wait until it is talked about in other places, that he threatened management. It is completely contradictory of his actions and his words. Completely. By the way, people like you are internet message boarders that paste articles. It wasn't a knock on you, I'm just saying that this article is meaningless other than the fact that Jamal supposedly threatened to sit out. Anyways, I'm done with this discussion.....

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Threatening to sit out is just a threat and if made in private will signal to those in charge the degree to which he is unhappy about the situation.

You are going to extraordinary lengths to try and discredit and ignore a report from a credible news source that contrary to what you may believe has no stake in trying to drum up hits in a 500 word blurb about the Central Division of the NBA during the duldrums of summer.

This is the second time you are calling TSN a liar. Where else exactly have they reported something that was false?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have stumbled upon contradicting reports regarding Crawford in the past. One article will claim he requested to be on the summer league roster b/c he missed it last year. Another claimed they forced him to play in summer league and he didn't want to. Then you read that he and Jay are getting along and can both play in the backcourt. Another, this one, says he's unhappy.

I read more contradicting articles about him than any other player on the Bulls. I don't know if it's b/c he's not smart about who he talks to? Or if people just assume things? Or if he honestly changes his mind a lot? Or if the writers are making things up based on what may seem logical. All I know is the kid is in a bad situation. Maybe he can take solace from Rose, another guy who wanted to be a PG but was never given the job.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Good point Lizzy, most of the articles I read claimed that Jamal requested to be in the summer league, and I think I read one that said Krause is the one who wanted him to play. This is the first article I have read that claims he threatened to sit out due to frustration over the PG spot. It just doesn't fit with his actions and words and the other articles that say he wanted to play. Doesn't fit at all....

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Until recently when the JWill selection became inevitable, Crawford clearly described himself as a PG. Take it for what you will, but we all know where he wants to play, and who is going to take that job from him.

The way the article was written in no way can you come to the conclusion that the journalist is assuming that is what Crawford did. He didn't even put in that Crawford allegedly threatened Bulls management.

We are getting away from the issue though and that is when is it going to spill over into the public arena? If Krause waits too long, he is not going to get much, and the article right not suggests Krause already is asking for too much. If he leaves him on the squad he is faced with the Oakley situation all over again. This time it will be worse because of the apparent friendships between Chandler, Crawford, and Curry. It will be interesting to see which guy the twin tots will team with. The guy that is in the game distributing the ball, or the discontent guy on the bench?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Maybe a private message is in order?

Hate to see two ....moderators go at it! LOL....hey guys, get a room....or a private message room!! LOL ....just a suggestion guys. My personal view on it, is IF it were true, MORE than ONE source would have to be quoted. I am not that close to chi-town to know who to trust, but my common sense tells me, any ONE single source can create a rumor, but until it is backed up by another source, or another source is reporting the same event or situation, I don't buy it. Peace my brothers!! GO BULLS~~~:grinning:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Tyson has already indicated that "Williams is the man" and was seen sporting his jersey the day of the draft. I think they will support whoever helps them win more games. It's a business and the guys can still be friends if they end up on different teams. And Crawford has had a really bad start in the NBA. From Tim Floyd not giving him a chance to his injury to Krause drafting Wiliams.

I think Krause asking for "too much" for Jamal is fine. He's not dying to get rid of him. Why take garbage for a player that you really like? I think, unless a huge offer is made, it's going to be a wait and see scenario. There is no sense of urgency for the Bulls for the first time in a while. If we keep Crawford - fine. If we trade him - fine. He can start at SG and be mad. He can start at SG and love it. He can come off the bench at PG and sulk. He can start at PG and Williams can sulk. Those are pretty much the options if no trades are made.

I believe there is some tension regarding roles, touches, PT, etc. on probably every team in the league. The Bulls are no different.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Maybe this is ANOTHER topic to leave as it is....

Originally posted by BCH
Until recently when the JWill selection became inevitable, Crawford clearly described himself as a PG. Take it for what you will, but we all know where he wants to play, and who is going to take that job from him.

The way the article was written in no way can you come to the conclusion that the journalist is assuming that is what Crawford did. He didn't even put in that Crawford allegedly threatened Bulls management.

We are getting away from the issue though and that is when is it going to spill over into the public arena? If Krause waits too long, he is not going to get much, and the article right not suggests Krause already is asking for too much. If he leaves him on the squad he is faced with the Oakley situation all over again. This time it will be worse because of the apparent friendships between Chandler, Crawford, and Curry. It will be interesting to see which guy the twin tots will team with. The guy that is in the game distributing the ball, or the discontent guy on the bench?
....until the regular season begins and we ALL see what is what? Makes sense to me guys. U?:yes:

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Re: Maybe a private message is in order?

Originally posted by BamaBull
Hate to see two ....moderators go at it! LOL....hey guys, get a room....or a private message room!! LOL ....just a suggestion guys. My personal view on it, is IF it were true, MORE than ONE source would have to be quoted. I am not that close to chi-town to know who to trust, but my common sense tells me, any ONE single source can create a rumor, but until it is backed up by another source, or another source is reporting the same event or situation, I don't buy it. Peace my brothers!! GO BULLS~~~:grinning:
Hey, no one is going at it. Just a difference of opinion. I agree with you though, I want to see more than one source report this. Until I do, it is just a rumor to make their story more "juicy".

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is definitely not going at it for KC and myself.

Bama,

I may agree with you on the multiple source thought but TSN is hardly a fly by night source of news.

Has no one else read any stories about Crawford being unhappy about being challenged for the PG spot? You would be lying if you said you didn't. This is not a story that has come out of the blue. I haven't read about Crawford asking to go to summer league. If someone would be so kind as to post some sort of link I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
from the minute it seemed like we'd be drafting Jay Williams, people started talking about shifting JC, our "PG of the future," to the SG spot. Along with this came lots of speculation regarding whether they'd be able to co-exist, or whether JC would be able to adapt, etc. One thing is for sure, at PG, JC seems like a real intriguing possibility, but when you slide him over to the 2, it gets to be iffy. "is he strong enough, does he take it to the hole enough, can he defend well enough"...I could see how it could be frustrating.

I don't know whether the report was true or not, but I wouldn't rule it out as impossible. One thing though, noting his assists in the summer games, he seems like more of the PG we'd want. (I know JWill is still feeling things out...)

We have sooo much potential on this roster. That also means that most likely, not everyone is going to work out in the long run, be it Chan, Curry, Crawford, Williams, Fizer, ERob....

Someone's always going to seem like they're on the trading block, and they'll always have to compete for their spot. I liked a recent quote by Eddy Curry in an article, where he said all he could control is how hard he worked, to make sure no one took away his spot, because people go from starting to benchwarmers, to being forgotten. That's the attitude JC should keep. I'm sure he's got the right attitude, seeing how he's recovered from his injury and all. But again, these are all kids, and they say the darndest things sometimes.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Re: Maybe a private message is in order?

Originally posted by BamaBull
no they are talking BBall. They are not "at it" usually when they are they tell me. Both have strong personalities and opinions.

As for my take on the article. If it is true, we will know soon enough.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Did anyone also think.....

Originally posted by BCH
This is definitely not going at it for KC and myself.

Bama,

I may agree with you on the multiple source thought but TSN is hardly a fly by night source of news.

Has no one else read any stories about Crawford being unhappy about being challenged for the PG spot? You would be lying if you said you didn't. This is not a story that has come out of the blue. I haven't read about Crawford asking to go to summer league. If someone would be so kind as to post some sort of link I would appreciate it.
there are writers, for whatever purpose, love to "disrupt" what could be in order? I think there are a LOT of folks out there that do NOT want the Bulls coming back so soon. Any story such as this could cause each of the bulls players wondering who said what, or if ANY of the Bulls leaked something to the press. Sure I have heard stories about WHAT is going to happen when Jwill is on board. I have also read and heard about writers who like to sensationalize stories and take comments out of context, JUST to sell a paper. I have also heard stories that crawford(immediately after jwill was drafted) stated that he could not WAIT to get in the back court with Jay. TOO MANY things are being said by outside sources. LETS wait and see how they play on the court? what a novel idea. I think things will be fine. Just my lowly opinion. GO BULLS~~~~:grinning:

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by notbeat
Someone's always going to seem like they're on the trading block, and they'll always have to compete for their spot. I liked a recent quote by Eddy Curry in an article, where he said all he could control is how hard he worked, to make sure no one took away his spot, because people go from starting to benchwarmers, to being forgotten. That's the attitude JC should keep. I'm sure he's got the right attitude, seeing how he's recovered from his injury and all. But again, these are all kids, and they say the darndest things sometimes.
I liked that quote from Curry. It shows he has come a long way since his quote last year talking about how difficult it was for him to work hard when he wasn't getting the playing time he felt he deserved.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.