Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Portland sends Rasheed Wallace to Atlanta and Memphis' 2004 1st round pick to Memphis
Portland receives Chris Crawford, Eddy Curry, Eddie Robinson & Shane Battier

Chicago sends Eddy Curry & Eddie Robinson to Portland and Marcus Fizer to Memphis
Chicago receives Shareef Abdur-Rahim & Ryan Humphrey

Atlanta sends Shareef Abdur-Rahim to Chicago and Chris Crawford to Portland
Atlanta receives Rasheed Wallace

Memphis sends Shane Battier to Portland and Ryan Humphrey to Chicago
Memphis receives Marcus Fizer & their 2004 1st round pick back

Portland might have to send their own 2004 1st round pick to Atlanta - depends on how much they value the cap savings that Rasheed offers them even if he re-signs with them.

I'm not sure I'm completely sold on this idea, but if nothing else, this might spark some other trade ideas. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Two questions. One, can Curry play center in the West? If not, how does he work with Zach? Two, what do we do with three more SFs?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well you were right SCBF that was crazy

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
The first problem is that Eddie Curry isn't available last I heard, but assuming he was, it would take a lot more than SAR and Humphrey to get him. I'm not sure SAR, Humphrey and a pick would even get him.

If a pick was added to the trade, I think Portland would have to send a pick to the Bulls to make it equitable.

Curry can probably play C in the West, but he hasn't shown much consistancy yet. His work ethic is questionable also.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Curry has the size and the skills to play center anywhere.....but does he have the desire? If people hate Sheed for "underachieving", they will have a field day with Curry.

Battier would be a nice piece to add......at SF or even SG.

Adding Robinson would actually be a negative, given his attitude problems and contract.

If all the Blazers had to give up was Sheed and the Memphis pick, I would go for it. If we had to throw in our own pick, which could wind up being several picks higher than Memphis', I would have to think twice.

Bottom line: I suspect that the front office/ownership situation in Atlanta will prevent them from being a part of any blockbuster deal.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Crazy idea, indeed. Portland would get a couple of nice pieces, including Curry who is an enigma but might turn out (along with Yao) to be the next big thing in the NBA at the center spot. I don't think Chicago would punt this quickly on Curry, but if they think Chandler can handle the 5 spot and if they actually want to start winning at some point, adding a vet like SAR might help.

I don't know if Memphis gets enough, either. They have a lot of swing men, but they have a lot of 4's, too, and it seems to me that Battier should be worth more than Fizer (expiring contract and all) and a 1st rounder.

Atlanta does well. With Rasheed's expiring deal, they'd be a massive player in the FA market this summer, and getting out from under SAR's contract would help the new owner sleep more soundly.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
Curry has the size and the skills to play center anywhere.....but does he have the desire? If people hate Sheed for "underachieving", they will have a field day with Curry.

Battier would be a nice piece to add......at SF or even SG.

Adding Robinson would actually be a negative, given his attitude problems and contract.

If all the Blazers had to give up was Sheed and the Memphis pick, I would go for it. If we had to throw in our own pick, which could wind up being several picks higher than Memphis', I would have to think twice.

Bottom line: I suspect that the front office/ownership situation in Atlanta will prevent them from being a part of any blockbuster deal.
I'm not sure a second pick would make or break the deal for me, if we also get a PG I would go for it even if we have to add in the second pick, if getting a PG is impossible, I won't go for it even with just one pick added.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Reep</b>!
The first problem is that Eddie Curry isn't available last I heard, but assuming he was, it would take a lot more than SAR and Humphrey to get him.
LOL, I sure as hell know that I wouldn't give up more than that for Eddy Curry.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
I don't think this trade could be consummated until the ping-pong balls thingy, could it - due to the stipulations on which pick of Memphis' we get, if we even get it in 2004?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
conditional conditionals ABM.. thats all it is

SCBF... we need to talk :nonono:

SAR to the Bulls :naughty: and not the Blazers!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!

LOL, I sure as hell know that I wouldn't give up more than that for Eddy Curry.
Agreed, but I don't think Paxon sees it that way.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ventured over to the Bulls board tonight after the game to read up on their reactions. I was surprised to see so much discussion about Crawford supposedly being on the block. So, here's a new variation on the trade idea. Again, I'm not convinced of this being "perfect" or working from all ends, but if nothing else, it keeps discussion flowing:

Portland sends Rasheed Wallace to Atlanta and Memphis' #1 pick back to Memphis
Portland receives Alan Henderson, Jamal Crawford, Eddie Robinson and Shane Battier

Atlanta sends Shareef Abdur-Rahim to Chicago and Alan Henderson to Portland
Atlanta receives Rasheed Wallace and Corie Blount

Chicago sends Jamal Crawford & Eddie Robinson to Portland, Corie Blount to Atlanta and Marcus Fizer to Memphis
Chicago recieves Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Ryan Humphrey

Memphis sends Shane Battier to Portland and Ryan Humphrey to Chicago
Memphis receives Marcus Fizer and their 2004 1st round pick back

Let me also respond to a couple of your points:

From Ed O.
I don't know if Memphis gets enough, either. They have a lot of swing men, but they have a lot of 4's, too, and it seems to me that Battier should be worth more than Fizer (expiring contract and all) and a 1st rounder.
I also have questions about Memphis' interest in this. However, Jerry West seems to (historically) love draft picks. Plus, their glut of swing men includes Posey, Miller, Wells, Jones and Battier. Getting something for Battier doesn't really hurt them, and if West is really high on Jones, actually opens up some time. And didn't Hubie Brown recently imply that Wells was going to get more PT as the season progresses? If there's any of their swingmen that are the "odd man out", it's Battier.

From ABM
I don't think this trade could be consummated until the ping-pong balls thingy, could it - due to the stipulations on which pick of Memphis' we get, if we even get it in 2004?
Hey, all it does it give them back their draft pick this year instead of "conditionally" it being a Blazer pick. No problem logistically with this. Because even if it didn't come to Portland in 2004, it would come in a later year - it's not like if the Blazers didn't get the pick in 2004, they wouldn't get any pick at all. Detroit and Sacramento did something like this last summer - they each owed each other a pick, so they simply revoked the promise of a future pick to be sent to each other and both teams just kept their own picks.

From Trader Bob
SCBF... we need to talk

SAR to the Bulls and not the Blazers!
I know...it puts me in your doghouse. But Portland needs a SF and PG (or a SF and C in the previous deal) more than they need another PF.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I know... just teasing ya :D

I agree, but then why Alan Henderson? he is a PF by depth charts

Ultimately in a quick thought between all those teams and those names flying around I would love to send out Ruben and Sheed
and get back

Crawford, Mike Miller, Shane Battier and Lo Wright

ROSTER
PG Crawford, McInnis or Stoudamire
SG DA, Person, Woods
SF Miller, Battier
PF Randolph, Dale Davis
C Wright, Stepania, Vranes

IR Outlaw, Boomtje

Wright being a role playing center, and Davis moving back to PF to reduce his minutes

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
I know... just teasing ya :D

I agree, but then why Alan Henderson? he is a PF by depth charts
Just there to even out salaries....

Maybe I should have said that Portland doesn't need two STARTING PF's. Henderson can throw in some bench minutes for a couple of years. But he's by no means the "central piece" in this deal for the Blazers.

As if you didn't know.....:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts