Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Portland trades Sheed $18 mil
Portland receives Ratliff $10.156 mil, Crawford $2.577 mil and Jaric $1.9 mil = Total IN $14.63 mil
Reduces this years salary$3.36 mil, $6.73 mil with tax incentives

GS receives Sheed $18 mil IN
GS sends NVE to the Clips $10.9 mil
GS sends Dampier $7.842 mil to the Hawks
Total OUT = $18.74

LA Clips receive NVE $10.9 mil from GS
LA Clips receive Jefferies $0.84 mil from Chicago
LA Clips send Dooling $2.25 mil and Ely $1.6 mil = $3.85 mil OUT to the Bulls
LA Clips send Richardson $1.8 mil to the Hawks
LA Clips send Jaric $1.9 mil to the Blazers
Total IN = $11.74 mil Total OUT = $7.55 mil
Increase in team salary = $4.19 mil temporarily

Chicago sends Jamal Crawford $2.577 mil to the Blazers
Chicago sends Jeffries $0.84 mil to the Clips
Chicago receives Dooling $2.25 mil and Ely $1.6 mil
Total IN = $3.85 mil, Total OUT = $3.417 mil

Atlanta sends Ratliff $10.156 mil to the Blazers
Atlanta receives Dampier $7.842 mil and Quentin Richardson $1.8 mil = $9.642 mil IN

Why do they all do this?
PORTLAND
Sends out Sheed... pluses and minuses we all know about
We get back Ratliff as a shot blocking center whose contract runs out in 2005. If he does not work out we do not resign him.
We get Crawford as our PG and if he works out can be our starter for years to come. Also talked a lot about here.
We also get Jaric as a PG to back up Crawford. Both can be used as a SG if need be. His contract is over in 2005 as well. If he does not work out we do not resign him too.
So we get 2x combo guards and a center for Sheed

ATLANTA
Sheds salary big time... takes Ratliffs 2005 exodus and moves it up one year... Dampier has said he will opt out this summer, so its essentially an expiring contract.
They also get Richardson whom I think would fit in well there at the 3 instead of Jackson. If they choose to extend a qualifying offer to him anyway.

LA CLIPPERS
They take on NVE who has said he will opt out this summer and go play in Texas. They can absorb the extra $4+ mil salary right now temporarily, but end up shedding $10.9 mil when NVE opts out. Giving them more money to throw at Kobe. NVE can be the starting PG and fit right in
Jefferies is a nice prospect and at a very good price.

CHICAGO
Sends out Crawford whom they have been wanting to move, and Jefferies. They get Kenyon Dooling and Martin Ely for him. Its a decent deal for them IMHO

GOLDEN STATE
Takes on Sheed to only shed the money.... and they get rid of NVE and Dampier in the process. They could resign Sheed, but they are wanting to make a run at Kobe as well.... so maybe this does help them.

THOUGHTS and REFERENCES
1) Based on the idea that NVE and Dampier will opt out of their contracts this summer
2) SCBF's thread

It might be crazy enough to work... and yes we have a lot of guards temporarily. Damon can be moved as an expiring contract this summer.

Be easy on me.. its Sunday and its early

Go Blazers!

ROSTER
PG Crawford, Jaric, Stoudamire
SG DA, Woods, Person
SF Miles, Patterson
PF Randolph, Davis
C Ratliff, Stepania

IR Cook, Gil, Outlaw

·
Registered
392 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
Portland receives Ratliff $10.156 mil, Crawford $2.577 mil and Jaric $1.9 mil = Total IN $14.63 mil

Total OUT = $18.74

Atlanta receives Dampier $7.842 mil and Quentin Richardson $1.8 mil = $9.642 mil IN

Why do they all do this?
PORTLAND
We get back Ratliff as a shot blocking center whose contract runs out in 2005. If he does not work out we do not resign him.
We get Crawford as our PG and if he works out can be our starter for years to come. Also talked a lot about here.
We also get Jaric as a PG to back up Crawford. Both can be used as a SG if need be. His contract is over in 2005 as well. If he does not work out we do not resign him too.

ATLANTA
Sheds salary big time... takes Ratliffs 2005 exodus and moves it up one year... Dampier has said he will opt out this summer, so its essentially an expiring contract.
They also get Richardson whom I think would fit in well there at the 3 instead of Jackson. If they choose to extend a qualifying offer to him anyway.

LA CLIPPERS
They take on NVE who has said he will opt out this summer and go play in Texas. They can absorb the extra $4+ mil salary right now temporarily, but end up shedding $10.9 mil when NVE opts out. Giving them more money to throw at Kobe. NVE can be the starting PG and fit right in

CHICAGO
Sends out Crawford whom they have been wanting to move, and Jefferies. They get Kenyon Dooling and Martin Ely for him. Its a decent deal for them IMHO

GOLDEN STATE
Takes on Sheed to only shed the money.... and they get rid of NVE and Dampier in the process. They could resign Sheed, but they are wanting to make a run at Kobe as well.... so maybe this does help them.

THOUGHTS and REFERENCES
1) Based on the idea that NVE and Dampier will opt out of their contracts this summer
2) SCBF's thread

It might be crazy enough to work... and yes we have a lot of guards temporarily. Damon can be moved as an expiring contract this summer.

Go Blazers!

ROSTER
SG DA, Woods, Person
SF Miles, Patterson
PF Randolph, Davis
C Ratliff, Stepania

IR Cook, Gil, Outlaw
the only thing i don't like about this trade is Cook is on the I.R and Stepania is are backup center. but i would love to have Crawford.:yes:

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!

Total OUT = $18.74

Why do they all do this?
PORTLAND

ATLANTA

LA CLIPPERS

CHICAGO

GOLDEN STATE

THOUGHTS and REFERENCES
2) SCBF's thread

Go Blazers!

ROSTER
SG DA, Woods, Person
SF Miles, Patterson
PF Randolph, Davis
C Ratliff, Stepania

IR Cook, Gil, Outlaw
Great trade for Portland :D
OK Trade for Golden State :|
Terrible Trade for the Clippers :upset:
Bad Trade for Chicago :dead:
AWESOME Trade for Atlanta :eek:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Wow, a lot of thought went into this one, Trader Bob!

A couple of things that might kill the idea, though.

1) I don't think that Van Exel is threatening to opt out this year. He's saying that in 2005 he doesn't expect anyone to pick up the team option in his contract, and THEN he'll try to sign with a Texas team. If this is true, it makes the trade really lousy for the Clippers as they trade young players and don't even get cap room in return.

2) Somehow, I think that the Bulls are going to want more than Dooling and Ely for Crawford.

I like your analysis for the other 3 teams, though.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, it was a fun idea to explore this morning before a game

one of the hurdles was to move Ratliff from Atlanta by taking on Dampiers salary. This required taking on another player in the trade to gain more salary incoming

I had intended to move Richardson to the Bulls, but ended up needing him or someone to go to the Hawks to allow them to be able to move Ratliff. Adding Richardson to the Bulls may make it more palatable.

I haev to admit I am not a follower of the Clips this year, but was under the impression Dooling was pretty solid... He and Ely together, just must not be equal to Crawford...

Might have to spice it up for the Clips too. But wondering if the lure to get Kobe woudl nto be enough of an incentive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts