Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....as if he was, already.... :laugh:

Clyde Drexler had just finished some pregame preparation for his job as a television analyst on the Rockets' game against the Spurs at the Toyota Center on Saturday night, so it seemed a good time to ask the former All-Star forward about reports linking him to a potential buyer for Paul Allen's Trail Blazers franchise.

Was Drexler really interested in becoming part-owner of the Blazers, the team for which he played 11 of his 15 NBA seasons?

"Are you kidding?" Drexler said. "If they're losing the kind of money Paul Allen says they're losing, I'm not putting my money into them."

...............Drexler explained he was contacted by a potential buyer who wanted him, Terry Porter and Detlef Schrempf, ex-Blazers all, to be the "faces" of a new regime. He said he would love to be involved but not as an investor. General manager or director of basketball operations has more appeal.....

· Registered
2,683 Posts
"Are you kidding?" Drexler said. "If they're losing the kind of money Paul Allen says they're losing, I'm not putting my money into them."
Bingo. And that goes for anyone who would buy the team. If Allen sells, it won't be a matter of making moves to reduce losses; it will be making moves to make a profit. In Portland. Ouch.

He said he would love to be involved but not as an investor. General manager or director of basketball operations has more appeal.....
Double Ouch!! Shudder!!! God no.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
well shoot, I was so looking forward to drexler being handed a token spot on the team and being really lazy about it and after a year bailing because he actually just wanted to be paid to be clyde drexler.

:angel:

· Registered
5,891 Posts
yeah i agree part owner thats ok gm or anything other than PART owner nata you stay in houston and forsake the team that made you

· Registered
8,047 Posts
I loved Clyde as a Blazer, but he seems a bit thick-headed at times. He doesn't seem to understand the simple fact that a money-losing company can be turned around under better management. In the case of an NBA team, trades, draft picks and smart management can improve the record of the team and start bringing the fans back. And that can make an enormous difference in the bottom line. Arena leases, concessions, parking, luxury boxes--all of that can be negotiated. Portland has been one of the more successful franchises in NBA history, and there's no reason why it can't be again.

· Registered
5,891 Posts
have fun in broadcasting

· Registered
7,812 Posts
Pretty funny IMO....Clyde doesn't want to invest any money in a franchise which is bleeding money like crazy.

Clyde want's GM job of that very same franchise. GM job would and should play a integral part in turning around the franchises money problems.

So basically as I see it Clyde has no faith in himself being able to turn Portland's problems around.

As already noted he is probably right about this...IMO he would make a horrid GM.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
the article said:
Clyde Drexler had just finished some pregame preparation for his job as a television analyst on the Rockets' game against the Spurs at the Toyota Center on Saturday night, so it seemed a good time to ask the former All-Star forward about reports linking him to a potential buyer for Paul Allen's Trail Blazers franchise...

...He said he would love to be involved but not as an investor. General manager or director of basketball operations has more appeal...
Drexler should stay at his present job with the team he helped win a ring. I'm a fan of promoting from within, MIKE RICE FOR GM! :angel:

· Registered
7,812 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
Drexler should stay at his present job with the team he helped win a ring. I'm a fan of promoting from within, MIKE RICE FOR GM! :angel:
Rice might be even worse then Drexler...great commentator but his work ethic is just as questionable as Clyde's. There is no way Rice could get in enough rounds of golf as GM anyway.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
cant blame him really - it'd take a decent chunk of his $ to get involved and if i was him i wouldnt be doing it either. its a high risk investment - and to my way of thinking , if paul allen (one of the most successful businessmen in the world) and his team of people cant seem to make it work financially - AVOID.

paul allen can afford to lose some millions , most investors cant. sure they can turn it around over the next 7-10 years but cmon , honestly....

if you had you life savings , would u risk it on the team?

hell no.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
honest to god, and I'm not just saying this because I know Mike Rice is reading the board because he's not having to travel with the team to Phoenix, I'd rather have Mike Rice be the GM than Clyde.

· Registered
7,812 Posts
BlayZa said:
cant blame him really - it'd take a decent chunk of his $ to get involved and if i was him i wouldnt be doing it either. its a high risk investment - and to my way of thinking , if paul allen (one of the most successful businessmen in the world) and his team of people cant seem to make it work financially - AVOID.

paul allen can afford to lose some millions , most investors cant. sure they can turn it around over the next 7-10 years but cmon , honestly....

if you had you life savings , would u risk it on the team?

hell no.
If I thought I had the ability, knowledge,and desire to work hard to turn them team around and save it from it's present struggles then I would invest every penny I had. Clearly Clyde doesn't have faith in his ability to do any of these things.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
sa1177 said:
Rice might be even worse then Drexler...

Hmmm... you know I was joking, right? :cool:

I'm a huge Mike Rice fan, best Blazers tv analyst ever. Think of the vibe he brings to the telecasts, then imagine that as the GM:

"I'd like to thank you all for coming, and now I'd like to introduce the newest Blazer... Vision Leppard. No, Vashone Letter? Vasion Leaner? Vajohn Lenner?"

(just kidding Mike =D )

· Registered
7,812 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
Hmmm... you know I was joking, right? :cool:

I'm a huge Mike Rice fan, best Blazers tv analyst ever. Think of the vibe he brings to the telecasts, then imagine that as the GM:

"I'd like to thank you all for coming, and now I'd like to introduce the newest Blazer... Vision Leppard. No, Vashone Letter? Vasion Leaner? Vajohn Lenner?"

(just kidding Mike =D )
\

yeh I know...just thought I would point out Rice is just as bad as Drexler in terms of work ethic. :biggrin: I guess his golf game keeps getting in the way. :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.