Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crying Foul
Do refs have star system out of their system?
(posted 1 hour ago)

After that game, Bulls vice president John Paxson said, "It's not unusual for the main player to get a lot of calls. ... All we're asking for is that the call be made the same way. I can point out a lot of examples every game where we don't get the same whistle."

The star system is a deep-seated perception. Former Washington star Phil Chenier says it "goes back to Wilt Chamberlain to Michael Jordan and right on through today. Everyone knows it is there, and you just have to deal with it."

The perception about the Bulls' preferential treatment because of Jordan is based in reality -- even Paxson acknowledged that as he was complaining about Nowitzki's 19-free throw night. In 1998, Jordan pushed Bryon Russell to the floor before making a championship-winning shot against Utah. In 1997, Jordan bumped Mookie Blaylock out of bounds to force an Atlanta turnover and secure a Chicago playoff win. In 1995, Jordan held the arm of the Hornets' Hersey Hawkins -- and admitted it -- to prevent Hawkins from making a winning layup that would have sent the Bulls-Hornets playoff series to a Game 5 in Charlotte.

As Hawkins explained, "It's Michael Jordan, and I'm Hersey Hawkins."

More than any other player, Jordan solidified the theory that star players get calls.

The reality: There is no statistical evidence of a star system in the current NBA.
Well, I'm with ScottMay on this one. I'll take what I see over what I read. :biggrin:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3463320

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Exampe: Paul pierce. If you even sneeze within three feet of him there is a foul called.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I don't care what the circumstances. I never want to see 76 free throws in a game again, like we did against the Sonics. We had 5-6 fouls which were not even close to fouls. Gordon getting called for running into a moving pick with 3-4 minutes to go stand out for me. On an inbounds play Hinrich got a foul guarding Allen in the fourth where he didn't even move his hands above his waist, he din't move at all, but somehow a whistle blew. That game was ridiculuous, and I think the NBA owes an apology to the Bulls much like what happens in the NFL when the refs blow a important call. I feel sorry for everyone that paid for tickets to that game.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hustle said:
I think the NBA owes an apology to the Bulls much like what happens in the NFL when the refs blow a important call. I feel sorry for everyone that paid for tickets to that game.
Exactly.

Wouldn't that be splendid to have that be the one game you're taking your son to this year. You go through all the hassle of getting the tickets, getting to the UC, traffic, parking, the weather, school night and you settle in for an exciting game.

You've pumped your kid. He's jacked. Its gonna be a great game. Friday was a classic and this is "payback"! You can cut the excitement with a knife.

You settle back into your seat for the opening tip and what unfolds is a very ugly display of POLITICS - NBA STYLE.

You and your son leave depressed, feeling ripped off. The kid is completely deflated. Not a very pleasurable experience for anyone. You're disappointed because the whole point was to see the Bulls play and have a good time. Mind you, I felt ripped off wasting my time watching it from home.

If the game was like Fridays and we come out on the short end by 3, you can live with that. That would still be exciting. It would still have been worth the trip. It would still have been ENTERTAINMENT.

Anyone (Sonics) who thinks something like that DEBACLE last night is necessary is living in a vacuum. This is still about ENTERTAINMENT.

If the league wants to send a message, save it for the summer league and pre-season. The referees may have thought themselves cute with their whistle fest, but they simply showed it is THEY who SUCK THE MOST. Their inconsistencies are what lead to the DEBACLE.

Last night is squarely on Stern and his merry band of referees. Not that any of them gives a damn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts