Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could my beloved Chicago Cubs actually be headed in the right direction? Here's their pitching staff:

-Mark Prior - 21, next pitching superstar; could have Cy Youngs in his future. Great stuff, perennial All Star.

- Kerry Wood - He's still only 25, and is one of the best pitchers in the league already. This guy, along with Prior, will be stars and should be perennial All Stars.

Jon Lieber - This guy was an All Star last year. He's just good. Good stuff; will have a career like Jamie Moyer, and maybe better. Same type of pitcher.

Matt Clement - Another young guy. Should be at least a number two pitcher, but because of how good this team is, he'll probably be a number four. Can be a very solid starter.

Jason Bere - Yet another youngster. He could become a solid third or fourth starter. But he probably won't be around long, because they have a guy named Juan Cruz in the bullpen right now, a 20-year-old fastballer that has been known to hit 100.

BULLPEN: They have Tom Gordon and Antonio Alfonseca. Both are NASTY closers. They might both even be top fifteen closers in the league. I wish they would have resigned Todd Van Poppel for long relief, but they didn't. They have a very solid bullpen, especially with Bere or Cruz there for long relief.

IN THE FIELD: They have one of the best outfields in the league. But the scary thing is, Sammy Sosa just might not be the best player in it any more. Corey Patterson is coming. He's a 21-year-old super-prospect that was taken top five overall in the draft, and is finally ready. He's been batting right around .300, and has been a GREAT leadoff hitter. His plate discipline is amazing and has improved vastly since last year. There is no doubt he'll win his share of gold gloves. If this guy keeps getting better, it is SCARY. Turns out the Cubs being so bad for so long was a good thing, getting so many super-prospects via the draft. Moises Alou is also in the outfield. He has had a horrid start, but he's a good player and has started to pick it up as of late.

The infield is good, too. They've got the Crime Dog manning first. Right now, Delino DeShields is playing second, but they have Bobby Hill, a player with great potential, ready to take over later on this year, making DeShields a great utility infielder off the bench. At short, they have Alex Gonzalez, a pretty good hitter who's more known for his glove. and Luis Montanez, the number three overall pick from three years back, is making his way up through the farm system to take over for A-Gonz.

At third, you've got Bill Mueller. He's a very solid player. And another utility infielder, Mark Bellhorn, is available, and he would make a great number two hitter as he develops, but that spot will probably go to Bobby Hill.

Behind the plate, the Cubs have Todd Hundley and Joe Girardi, both very good defensive catchers, and Tood has some pop. Both solid for number eight hitters.

The Cubs have a solid team all around, no real weaknesses. They have a ton of prospects. There's no way they could go in any direction but up from here!

What do you think about the Cubs and their future?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Right now they stink so bad they have no where to go but up:D

I agree with all of the assessments by player positions. It appears that they are a great team on paper. It's a shame they can't play upto their potential on the field. They gotta shake things up and I am afraid Baylor will take the hit. It's a shame too cuz he is a good manager. Players just haven't executed.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
BTW I don't think you can use "Hundley" and "good defensive catcher" in the same sentence. He's got terrible throwing arm from what I remember when he was with Dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts