Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cubs, Howry agree on $12 million, three-year deal

CHICAGO (AP) -- Bobby Howry agreed to a $12 million, three-year contract with the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday, becoming the second free agent reliever in a week to join the team's restocked bullpen.

The terms of Howry's deal were revealed by two people familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because Chicago had not yet announced the deal.

A week earlier, the Cubs agreed to a contract with Scott Eyre that guaranteed the left-hander $11 million over three years. Like Eyre, Howry once pitched for the Chicago White Sox.

[More in URL]

Another nice signing IMO but overpaying for him too. Oh well!

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
Re: Cubs, Howry agree on $12 million, three-year dea

So much for cutting down on budget. I love that our bullpen was finally the number one offseason priority. Free agent relievers worry me though. A lot of them tank or become inconsistent after getting the contract, especially if they're not closers. If we can bring in Pierre and another starting pitcher, I will be thrilled.

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
Re: Cubs, Howry agree on $12 million, three-year dea

Pierre/Furcal and Brian Giles would make my day.

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
I am happy we are working on the bullpen, however, I am not real excited to spend $20+ million and 3 years on 2 middle relievers that haven't been the portrait of consistency. I hope these guys pitch well, because if they don't, Dusty is still going to put them into every game. I just fear we just paid for 2 new Mike Remlingers. Getting these two guys early also potentially decreased the value of any pitcher we decide to trade, since we wouldn't be using a guy like Rich Hill/Mitre, etc unless someone gets hurt.

Bullpen

1. Dempster
2. Eyre
3. Howry
4. Williamson
5. Ohman
6 & 7) Rusch, Wuertz, Novoa, Mitre, Van Buren, Guzman

Even if Rusch makes the rotation, that's still three names to move however you look at it.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
I like these signings. Nothing mindblowing, but at least we added two relatively reliable arms to an otherwise green and utterly unreliable bullpen. We do run the Remlinger risk, but these guys aren't quite as ancient as he was, and I think they have better stuff.

I'm starting to like our pitching staff if we can actually keep our starters healthy for once. Now we just need to get to work on finding another corner outfielder and SS/leadoff. Hopefully Hendry has the green light to spend some more money for these. He better make it clear to Baker that Murton needs to have first crack at the starting LF spot, as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts