Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs removed the interim tag from Mike Quade and named him the manager with a two-year deal and a club option for 2013, the team announced Tuesday.

"This is obviously a great day," Quade said.

The job will be his first as a major league manager.

Quade, 53, took over for the retired Lou Piniella on Aug. 23 and guided the Cubs to a 24-13 record down the stretch. That was the second-best mark in baseball over that period. Quade's contract is expected to be worth between $1.8 million and $2 million, according to a major league source.

"It's awesome, they couldn't have made a better hire," Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He's a great pick to manage this team.

"He did a great job when he was given the opportunity. It's a great move for the organization and for us as a team. I'm extremely thrilled that he got the opportunity here, because if it wasn't going to be here, it was going to be somewhere else."

The longtime minor league manager was considered a finalist for the job with Triple-A Iowa manager and Cubs Hall of Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg.

"From my standpoint, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed," Sandberg said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show." "It's a disappointing day for sure."

Sandberg said he's uncertain about his future with the Cubs on any level.

"I think now it's digesting everything and kind of change the wheels and turn in a different direction," he said. "I was focused on something, and it's just taking it all in.

"I spent the four years in the minor leagues to manage at the major league level, and that's where my heart is and that's what my next step is. That's where I look next. So I'll take it a step at a time and see if there's another opportunity out there and go from there. I wish Mike Quade the best; I wish the Cubs the best and the Ricketts family."
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5703131

1 - 3 of 3 Posts