Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to see a list of current or former students from America East schools that are competing in London.

BU had a few at the US track and field trials but they didn't make the Olympic team. I know there was one competing in the finals of the women's high jump and another in the finals of a longer race, maybe the 3000m? They were current students so they were wearing their BU track uniforms, which was cool to see on NBC.

As for the Olympics themselves, former BU basketball star Brett Brown is head coach for Australia.

Former women's basketball player Rachel Vanderwal is on Great Britain's team. I don't know if there's a lot of pressure there or none at all. But they did beat two Olympic teams in their exhibition games so I guess they won't get run out of the building every game.

The BU website promises more features to come so I guess there are others competing. I hope they hurry up, they're running out of time!

Who do you other schools have?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Viktoriya Rybalko (Maine '05ish) is long jumping for Ukraine.

Also getting her Ph.D. from Texas, after a masters in like microbiology from Rochester.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
UVM's Courtnay Pilypaitis (2010) was a big reason Canada's women's BB team qualified for the London Olympics. Courtnay will be returning to UVM after the games as Assistant Coach. She is keeping a blog of her Olympic experience here.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I thought it would be interesting to see a list of current or former students from America East schools that are competing in London.

BU had a few at the US track and field trials but they didn't make the Olympic team. I know there was one competing in the finals of the women's high jump and another in the finals of a longer race, maybe the 3000m? They were current students so they were wearing their BU track uniforms, which was cool to see on NBC.

As for the Olympics themselves, former BU basketball star Brett Brown is head coach for Australia.

Former women's basketball player Rachel Vanderwal is on Great Britain's team. I don't know if there's a lot of pressure there or none at all. But they did beat two Olympic teams in their exhibition games so I guess they won't get run out of the building every game.

The BU website promises more features to come so I guess there are others competing. I hope they hurry up, they're running out of time!

Who do you other schools have?

I'm seeing Rachael's photos of the Olympic Village and stuff come through on my facebook feed - so cool.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seeing Rachael's photos of the Olympic Village and stuff come through on my facebook feed - so cool.
Yeah! Over the last month or so, I started looking up random US athletes on facebook from Beijing and looking through their photos. It was really cool to see it all from a different perspective than what you get from NBC. It'll be even cooler to see it all more in the present this time around. A lot of athletes post pictures and things on Twitter, too. I think the thing I find most amazing is the pictures of all the stuff they get for free. All their outfits from Ralph Lauren, clothes from Nike, Speedo, everything from all the sponsors, stuff from the products they endorse, etc. One of the swimmers tweeted the other day that she had been there for half a week and already needed extra suitcases to bring everything home.

·
6,069 Posts
Slightly off topic, watching this Brazil-Russia basketball game, it's like watching UMBC against Binghamton, from the poor three-point shooting, the missed layups, and the lack of obvious traveling calls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts