Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night they had an interesting topic on Mike and Mike on ESPN radio.....They were trying to name the players in the NBA (and actually all 3 major sports) that if they decided to retire right now, would be a shoe-in for the hall of fame......

The only two players they could think of were Reggie and Shaq.....I sent them an e-mail saying Tim Duncan deserves to be, and they agreed.....It's kind of weird how all the truly great players of the early 90's have disappeared/retired.....The only player left is Reggie.....

So my question to you, is who do you think deserves to be in the Hall of Fame if they retired today?
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Shaquille O'Neal
Gary Payton
Reggie Miller
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Allen Iverson

I don't personally think Kobe Bryant is a surefire Hall of Famer yet. He's a surefire Hall of Fame talent, but hasn't played long enough. Tim Duncan hasn't played longer but has an MVP. No league MVP with significant playing time has been barred. If Bryant had an MVP award, I'd call him a lock, too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,367 Posts
If they all retired today....

Shaq
Duncan
AI
KG
Kobe
Kidd
Payton
Reggie Miller

would all be in the HOF.

Others who need a few more years...

T-Mac
Webber
Hill
Marbury
Ray Allen
Pierce

Other young player who have a very good chance...

Dirk
LeBron
Wade
Yao
Amare
Carmelo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
Minstrel said:
Shaquille O'Neal
Gary Payton
Reggie Miller
Tim Duncan
Jason Kidd
Allen Iverson

I don't personally think Kobe Bryant is a surefire Hall of Famer yet. He's a surefire Hall of Fame talent, but hasn't played long enough. Tim Duncan hasn't played longer but has an MVP. No league MVP with significant playing time has been barred. If Bryant had an MVP award, I'd call him a lock, too.
I agree w/ this post in its entirety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone mentioned Gary Payton and Kidd and they disagreed to both.....I happen to agree with Kidd however.....Back to back finals appearances and an MVP.......

Were talking about if they retired TODAY.....

Some of these players have put up good #'s but dont win anything......That might be why Nique was left out of his first Hall of Fame bid.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think Iverson is a sure fire pick for the Hall of Fame if he quit today....I think 10 solid years constitutes a Hall of Famer....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
Laker Freak said:
Others who need a few more years...

T-Mac
Webber
Hill
Marbury
Ray Allen
Pierce
First off, I agree mostly w/ your already in list.

But Grant Hill, Marbury and Pierce?!?!? Nique got denied in his first attempt. ANd you think Marbury who's never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs has a shot? Hill's barely played. And Pierce is a great player, but not a Hall of Famer. Hall of Fame is Bird, Magic, Stockton level players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,761 Posts
If Miller is in, Payton definately should be, he was the best PG of the 90's and carried a team to the finals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,165 Posts
Laker Freak said:
If they all retired today....

Shaq
Duncan
AI
KG
Kobe
Kidd
Payton
Reggie Miller

would all be in the HOF.
KG and Kidd haven't earned the selection yet.

Kobe and AI are questionable.

Duncan is worthy. Shaq also (obviously!).

Reggie and Payton will get in because the hof ain't about the greatest players in the history of this sport...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
KG and Kidd haven't earned the selection yet.

Kobe and AI are questionable.

Duncan is worthy. Shaq also (obviously!).

Reggie and Payton will get in because the hof ain't about the greatest players in the history of this sport...
Those guys are all HOFers. The day AI got his MVP, he was assured HOFer status. Every player with MVP entered Hall before. So is KG. Kobe is HOF because of those 3 rings.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,367 Posts
SeaNet said:
First off, I agree mostly w/ your already in list.

But Grant Hill, Marbury and Pierce?!?!? Nique got denied in his first attempt. ANd you think Marbury who's never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs has a shot? Hill's barely played. And Pierce is a great player, but not a Hall of Famer. Hall of Fame is Bird, Magic, Stockton level players.
But it is also has guys like Earl Monroe, Bailey Howell and Dan Issel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
Laker Freak said:
But it is also has guys like Earl Monroe, Bailey Howell and Dan Issel.
True, but I think those guys were alot better in their time than Mebury, Pierce and Hill are in ours. Wrt/ Pierce, who's a helluva player, those wing scorer guys really need to distinguish themselves in some way to make it into the hall, as there are so many guys who score on teh wing. Usually that means leading your team to big time winning seasons and long playoff runs. Pierce hasn't done that (the one year they made ECF, the EC was perhaps the worst conference in the history of basketball).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,165 Posts
shoprite said:
Those guys are all HOFers. The day AI got his MVP, he was assured HOFer status. Every player with MVP entered Hall before. So is KG. Kobe is HOF because of those 3 rings.
yeah, that's what i said... the hof ain't for the greatest players in the sport...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
How are A.I and Payton not sure fire hall-of-famers?

A.I has won an MVP, carried his mediocre team to the finals, is currently 4th (VERY soon to be 3rd) all time in points per game, 3rd in all time steals per game, 3rd in all time minutes per game (if he keeps this current pace, he currently does not have enough total minutes) and is the best tiny player to ever play the game (yes that will help him get into the hall)

Payton was the greatest defensive ponit guard of all time, won a defensive player of the year, lead a team to the finals and was one of the best point guards of the 90s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,165 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
How are A.I and Payton not sure fire hall-of-famers?

A.I has won an MVP, carried his mediocre team to the finals, is currently 4th (VERY soon to be 3rd) all time in points per game, 3rd in all time steals per game, 3rd in all time minutes per game (if he keeps this current pace, he currently does not have enough total minutes) and is the best tiny player to ever play the game (yes that will help him get into the hall)
Hmmm... yes. i seem to be too hasty on my comments about Ai...
Your right, Science Friction, AI has more accolades that i remembered... :greatjob:

Payton was the greatest defensive ponit guard of all time, won a defensive player of the year, lead a team to the finals and was one of the best point guards of the 90s.
Objective facts: once a DPOY. One Finals appearence.
Yes, i believe he is one of the greatest defensive PGs. And one of the best Pgs of the 90's. But i don't think that's a clear case for the hof...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
I can't believe they shot down Gary Payton...in my opinion he's deserving of the Hall than Reggie Miller(for they record their both hall of famers to me)..

...in their primes Payton was the better player...

a guy that I don't think is one right now..and won't be when his career is over is Chris Webber...basically because of how he's perceived by media...even though I beleive he, Shaq and Duncan are the active player who's career averages are 20pts and 10rebs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,527 Posts
if they retired today:
shaq
payton
miller
duncan
iverson
kg
kobe
kidd
mutombo

these guys are all in. you won't find a player with comparable credentials as any of them who's not in the hof.

yao's international career isn't exactly hof material.

everyone else has to do more to get in. webber i guess could be considered a bubble, if you look at his stats for his career. grant hill probably won't make it, and zo has a chance but probably won't as well.

i consider mutombo a bubble player, but he'll likely get in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,165 Posts
kflo said:
if they retired today:
shaq
payton
miller
duncan
iverson
kg
kobe
kidd
mutombo

these guys are all in. you won't find a player with comparable credentials as any of them who's not in the hof.

yao's international career isn't exactly hof material.

everyone else has to do more to get in. webber i guess could be considered a bubble, if you look at his stats for his career. grant hill probably won't make it, and zo has a chance but probably won't as well.

i consider mutombo a bubble player, but he'll likely get in.
I'll take you away form my sign for mentioning KG!!!! :curse:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,527 Posts
the bookworm says 3 1st team all-nba, 2 2nd teams, 5 1st team all-defense, and an mvp gets him in. basically, he's got the mvp, and kobe's got the 3 rings. puts 'em both over the top. again, you won't find a comparable player who's out.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top