Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say what you will about Curry—and plenty have—but the fourth-year center is the only Bull other than Ben Gordon who consistently commands special defensive attention.

"When teams prepare, he's a guy who they focus on stopping," guard Kirk Hinrich said. "He makes everybody else better. It makes everything easier for everybody else."

"The Bulls for years, even back winning the six championships, they'd always throw Luc [Longley] a couple of bones early in the game and Bill [Wennington] too," coach Scott Skiles said. "Then the other guys would take over.

"This is much different than that. Eddy's a legitimate threat throughout the game. But [his fast starts] certainly help us. Any team wants to go down low to start the game and get some points in the paint. It takes the pressure off your perimeter shooting. Most nights, Eddy provides that, for sure."

There's no argument Curry must lower his foul total and turnover average and increase his rebounding and assist averages. He's on pace to set a career high with 217 turnovers, which is quite a bit shy of Artis Gilmore's franchise record of 366 in the 1977-78 season. His rebounding average of 5.4 is down from last season's 6.2, and his 0.6-assist average matches his meager career number.

"The main thing for Eddy is to continue to get better out of those double teams," Skiles said. "He has gotten better. There's no question about that. But I know for a fact Eddy's not satisfied with the number of turnovers he has made.

"How do you get better at that? You work on it in practice. Then, in game conditions, you gain experience. You look at the other post-up players, the Duncans. When they came in, they weren't necessarily very good out of double teams either. It takes time.

Curry declined to talk with reporters after Tuesday's practice, citing a need to pack for the Bulls' two-game trip.

A restricted free agent, Curry's offensive abilities should preclude him from having to do so this summer.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050322bulls,1,6773492.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I think this really helps show how dangerous it would be to get rid of Curry this off-season. Our perimeter guys see a lot more pressure w/out Eddy in there. Hopefully we hang on to him and he can improve on some of the deficiencies in his game. If we were to let him go, we've got to get back a strong offensive presence in the post. I am one of those who believes Tyson can adequately handle the 5, but he would need a strong scorer at the 4, which we sure don't have now. Re-upping them both sounds great to me.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
jnrjr79 said:
I think this really helps show how dangerous it would be to get rid of Curry this off-season. Our perimeter guys see a lot more pressure w/out Eddy in there. Hopefully we hang on to him and he can improve on some of the deficiencies in his game. If we were to let him go, we've got to get back a strong offensive presence in the post. I am one of those who believes Tyson can adequately handle the 5, but he would need a strong scorer at the 4, which we sure don't have now. Re-upping them both sounds great to me.
The funny thing is, in EDDY's absence, we got killed on the glass and committed near season highs in both turnovers and fouls anyway.......

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
It's pretty sad that thats the only response you have to NUMBERS that clearly contradict the way you think about everything.

Try responding to those numbers. Your response is going to be the same wack tired "we can play like the Hickory Huskers and win NBA championships" crap that most chicago message boards have become.

Let me ask you this fan "girl"..... who do you think NBA GMs starting an expansion team would pick as their first player? Hinrich or Curry? IF they got to pick any Bull to start a franchise with who would it be?

Now go PM your mods and cry about how you're going to hang out with Kramer. I'll be back tomorrow. I already have 7 names working on this board that haven't been detected by the mods.

good for you chuck. how small is your penis anyway?

:laugh:

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
Great response lol. See how its funny who gets banned and who doesn't. I never insulted one person here with such vulgar language. I got banned for telling them the truth and then when they didn't like it and responded condescendingly.....being able to trump their response and get them extremely angry. Ask your boy that makes Bulls websites that he can't pay the hosting fee for.

i guess i struck a nerve.

all insults and condescending tone aside, i agree, eddy is very valuable to the franchise. i think pax should resign him.

you are delusional if you think you got banned for "telling the truth". more like you cannot post without insulting people who have a different opinion than you.

grow up.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
Chris Duhon
28.15% without Curry
34.0% with Curry
Chris Duhon shoots 5.85% lower from the field without Eddy Curry

Kirk Hinrich
36.6% without Curry
38.8% with Curry
Kirk Hinrich shoots 2.2% lower from the field without Eddy Curry

Ben Gordon
36.3% without Curry
43.4% with Curry
Ben Gordon shoots 7.1% lower from the field without Eddy Curry

Andres Nocioni
29.5% without Curry
40.9% with Curry
Chapu shoots 11.4% lower from the field without Eddy Curry
Where did these statistics come from? Is this a breakdown of their shooting in games that Curry didn't play in or is it a breakdown of their shooting in minutes when Curry is not on the floor - i.e. some stat from 82games.com or something?

How about Pike and Deng?

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
I've now counted three attacks by you in this thread. I've never taken a tone (which, let's face it, is really the problem...the other stuff is just an excuse) with someone who didn't take one with me. People just don't like it when you're better at in than they are.

Your peanuts comment of "pax should resign Eddy" is funny. Not quite. That is true....but you should realize that Eddy is the most important player to this team....even if he isn't the best all around player. maybe if you knew Kirk Hinrich personally you'd get sick of the way people treated him in this city too if they treated him like Eddy....

Run along fan GIRL.

shut the **** up *******.

ban me!!!! please!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
Run along fan GIRL.
Do you think you could answer my questions about your stats before you get banned please?

Edit: Never mind, thanks for responding.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
I've now counted three attacks by you in this thread. I've never taken a tone (which, let's face it, is really the problem...the other stuff is just an excuse) with someone who didn't take one with me. People just don't like it when you're better at in than they are.

Your peanuts comment of "pax should resign Eddy" is funny. Not quite. That is true....but you should realize that Eddy is the most important player to this team....even if he isn't the best all around player. maybe if you knew Kirk Hinrich personally you'd get sick of the way people treated him in this city too if they treated him like Eddy....

Run along fan GIRL.
Joe,

I would argue that "tone" is the least-consequential reason your many anti-Semitic posts are offensive.

As for the rest of it, well, I just hope that your conduct on message boards isn't a reflection of your understanding of how society works.

Peace!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
mizenkay said:
shut the **** up *******.

ban me!!!! please!!!!

Well, after much deliberation we have opted NOT to ban you...the staff does however feel you need some discipline, therefore you are to report to my office for a firm spanking. :biggrin: :banana:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Ron Cey said:
Where did these statistics come from? Is this a breakdown of their shooting in games that Curry didn't play in or is it a breakdown of their shooting in minutes when Curry is not on the floor - i.e. some stat from 82games.com or something?

How about Pike and Deng?
Who knows, I didn't see a link or a methodology or anything, just some "new poster" with some numbers, they are probably made up for all I know, but I could be wrong.

But here's some numbers that are real, with a link...

http://82games.com/04CHI13D.HTM

Bulls offense when Eddy is on the court: 99.8 pts/100 possesions
Bulls offense when Eddy is off the court: 103.6 pts/100 possesions

Bulls defense when Eddy is on the court: 103.7 pts/100 possesions
Bulls defense when Eddy is off the court: 100.1 pts/100 possesions

If Duhon, Hinrich, Nocioni and Gordon all shoot a lot less when Eddy is not out there, I wonder who is scoring all these extra points? The team scores better without Eddy, yet the Bulls #1, #2 and #4 scorers outside of Eddy all shoot a lot worse? Hmmm, that's odd.

Deng, Harrington, Pike and AD must really tear it up when Eddy is out of the game, obviously.

:rotf:

Matrix is always good for some laughs, how pathetic is it that a person can get banned from the same 2 message boards several times each, yet he can't find any other Bulls message boards anywhere else on the internet? Jeez, how many boards does everyone think the Matrix has been banned from?

I'm going with 11.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
I went to NBA.com and went to "game by game" stats on each player's page.....i knew the games Eddy had missed and I added up the shooting totals for those 4 for the six games that he missed. Then I subtracted those shooting totals from their regular season totals and did the math. It's all there for verification.

I did not add up Pike and Deng shoots better without Curry but only played in three games that Curry missed. Three games or one game to me isn't enough....5,6 games...now you're talking about a large enough sample size. Especially since Deng's missed games without Curry were when everyone was fresh at the beginning. Hinrich, Duhon etc. played 3 games fresh without Curry and then 3 games in the grind. That gives them accurate sampling to me.

Also.....Deng is not a player I worry about. He's shown he can pick his spots and attack no matter who he plays with. Noce, Hinrich, Gordon and Duhon are significantly better when they get the ball wide open. And yes I said Gordon. Without Eddy he shoots 36%. He doesn't get the ball with enough time to load up, and the opposition is more rested without the bigs having to hold Eddy off for 30 mins. So when Gordon drives he ends up in a forest of moving trees and throws up a wild one.
So for Duhon and Gordon, you are including the first 2 games of the year when neither could shoot worth a lick no matter who was on the floor. I think this taints your sample. For example, in the 2 games that followed - both games in which Curry played - Hinrich, Duhon, and Gordon continued to shoot poorly.

First 2 Games (No Curry):
Hinrich - 15/40 = .375%
Duhon - 2/12 = .167%
Gordon - 6/20 = .300%

Second 2 Games (With Curry):
Hinrich - 8/25 = .320% (worse)
Duhon - 2/8 = .250% (better, but still crappy)
Gordon - 7/23 = .304% (just as bad)

I think the results of your analysis are just as likely due to shooting trends the players were in at the time as much as they are Curry's magical presence on the floor. Also, Curry has only missed 6 games. So you are comparing a relatively small 6 game sample which increases the likelihood of a non-representative statistical outcome with a 59 game sample which is far more likely to equate with their actual game to game shooting ability regardless of who plays along with them.

If it were one of those crazy stats from 82games.com that shows how guys are performing throughout the whole season when another guy is or isn't on the floor, that would be one thing. But the analysis you employ here is, essentially, worthless. Not to mention the fact that the Deng factor throws it off even further.

Thats not to say that Eddy doesn't draw double teams - he does. Its just that the statistics you rely on, and the manner in which you developed them, don't really prove anything about his value to the team.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
1. Please refrain from using my real name. Any message board faces rather easy legal attacks for allowing ANYONE's privacy, EVEN a banned member's privacy, to be breached as such.

I don't think the message board is too worried about "legal attacks" because of a person who has been blatantly banned several times from the board.

In fact, a banned member posting here is subject to "legal attacks" if you read the terms of service that you agreed to before you posted.

LOL, you would think a "law" student would understand the "law" a little better...

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
2. Yes....I realize that this is a message board. Do you think that I treat the dean of students or guest speakers or esteemed classmates like mikenzay? No. For two reasons. One is most people dealing with you in that setting know what respect is. Most message boards are built on antagonism. Seconldy, the fact is they hold positions worthy of more respect. That is true whether you like the way the real world works or not.

nice.

oh and ace!....in your wildest dreams, stud!!

:wink:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Glad JC is gone said:
See this is what we need. Less bannings and more people coming together :banana:

Actually your on our radar now and you will be dealt with accordingly.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I agree with Ron Cey.

In my opinion, there's just not a large enough sample size. We could have been playing against extremely good, or bad, defensive teams during those 6 games. Or, maybe one of the players had a bad night. Or something else.

I personally believe that Eddy helps this team in many ways, but there are too many factors that could have come into play here. I find this to be oversimplification.

The confidence interval on these stats is likely very, very large, and thus they don't have much value.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts