Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over his last 6 games, all on the road, Eddy Curry has put up these kinds of numbers:

33.6mpg
56% FG Pct.
6rpg
20.8ppg

He's a 21 year old third year player. If these were year to date averages he'd be playing in the all-star game this season.

His trade value might be at an all time high at this moment...high enough so that the combination of his salary and one of our bigger contracts might fetch a real honest to goodness closer or a combination of players who could satisfy more than just one of several glaring needs on the current Bulls roster.

But are we seeing the real deal this time? Or is this a slightly extended version of the Eddy Curry who left us drooling for more at the end of the 02/03 season?

Paxson has to try to figure out if what we're seeing now is what we can expect for years to come. If it is then you've got to hang on to him at all costs.

But what if the 04/05 season kicks off and we're once again subjected to another miseably soft start from Curry for the first three months or so of the season? What if what we're actually seeing is the beginning of a trend...play like crap from November through January as the team once again falls out of contention and then turn it on in February when all that's left is trying to determine where the Bulls will draft in the lottery once again.

Is this what it's like to be between the proverbial rock and a hard place? At the moment all signs point towards keeping a potential all-star calibur center. But one more lousy start next season and people will no doubt try to hang Paxson in effigy for not having traded him when he had real value. Because you can count on the fact that no matter what, if he starts slowly again next season, no matter how strong he finishes, this three year trend plus the fact that he's scheduled to become a RFA will hold down his trade value.

So, what do you do? Trade him now while he's at his market value peak? Or do you hang on to him and hope he doesn't turn back into a pumpkin over the summer?

C'mon now, all you arm chair General Managers, what's it to be? You've got less than two weeks to the 2/19 trade deadline. Is Eddy Curry a mutt or a monster? You make the call!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Curry

The reason he is putting up good numbers recently is because he is finally gettin some minutes. 30 plus min that is. He could do this consistantly if skiles would play him major min and not keep changing up the lineup. Let him play through fould trouble. He has to learn somehow. Paul Silas did the same thing in CLevland. He stayed put with the same starting lineup and played through it. Now look at those guys. They were terrible early on but are now comming around and have won 6 of thier last ten. I just think its a matter of consistant playing time and guys know thier set roles and not worriying about being subbe out all the time. Not just for Eddie but for all the young guys. OUr starting lineup should be Curry,Chandler,Gill,Craw,and Kirk. Period. Davis and JYD come off the bench. I think we would be much more successfull like that.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hell no...

There aren't too many Eddy Curry's that come around...

This kid has the goods, he really is the only one that stops himself by not being in shape.

The reason he is playing well is because now he's played his way into shape.

You're talking about a guy who I believe will keep this up and starting next year he will be the starting center on the East all-star team for the next 5-10 years.

I wouldn't trade Eddy Curry, ever.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No way we trade Curry! He just needs this summer with Skiles fitness program and has to stay away from cellphones.
Don't leave him out there alone, but keep him involved at the Berto, when Curry's in shape he's a monster.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
of course we keep him, soon as shaq retires, hes the best center in the league, he has better post moves than yao ming by far. i predict in the next 2-3 years hes gonna average something like 27pts/8reb/1block and shooting over 55%fg, i really think what we have here is a dominant offense center for the next 10 years. this is why i wouldnt trade him for anything less than a pierce type of player. no semi-superstar like ray allen, rashard lewis, if we gonna trade the monster, we better package him and getting a superstar in return.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
We keep him.

However, the way he comes into training camp each year is a concern. This is the second year in a row where he played himself into shape by February!! He starts playing after 45 plus games. Desire and heart has to come into question.

We should see a major difference in him next fall.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Keep him!

I may sound like a broken record but I believe that he has a chance to be a dominant player. You win with dominant players. There is no way we could get a player back with as much potential to dominate, especially at C. Trading Curry would be an admission by Pax that the franchise would rather have guarenteed decenteness than a chance of greatness.

I did not endure 5 years of crap BBall to watch an 6th seed make it to the second round every year.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Everything can change in the blink of an eye:

I wonder how much a players stock can fluctuate in a five game stretch. My take skyrockets and crashes...but, maybe this is why I am not a GM. I really have no idea what Curry's trade value is???

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
This is a good thread.

Many NBA fans want to trade people when they are playing like crap, and have no trade value. When a guy is playing well and has a high trade value, they want to keep him.

Clearly that is not the way to go, because it means you will never get anything good back in a trade, and you will end up stuck with guys who have one good season and then suck, losing all their value. The Bulls have been horrible at this, trading Brad Miller and Ron Artest when their value was low, and not trading Marcus Fizer when they should have, when his value was high.

You have to be realistic when you talk about Eddy Curry's work ethic. He hasn't shown any yet, and to hope he will now is wishful thinking. Ihave no idea why posters like truebluefan honestly expect this summer to be any different from the previous two summers.

I'd say, if you get your hands on Dwight Howard or Emeka Okafor in the draft, you gotta trade Curry while his value is high. You gotta. Playing three post players at once just doesn't work. See what happens when the Bulls try to play Marcus Fizer at SF, or the Magic with Drew Gooden. They end up destroying their young talents, which is dumb when you could probably get an extremely talented young swingman for Curry and play a lineup that actually makes sense.

If you don't get one of the top two picks, I'd say keep Curry and hope for the best. But this board is going to look awfully silly if it makes the same mistakes it did last summer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Of course you keep him!

First, yes, he did come to camp out of shape. What isn't widely known is just how serious the eye injury he had this summer was. I don't know all the details, just that he had to be immobile for some time. This, unfortunately, happened right after he took some time off anyway. Some other injuries, like a bone bruise, set him back a couple of times.

That's not an excuse, that's just what happened.

Conditioning for big men like that are always an issue. Ming has conditioning issues. Shaq has conditioning issues. The big knock on Zach Randolph is his conditioning. It took forever for Z to get into condition (if he is yet). Heck, Brand didn't get his body into great shape until his third or fourth season. Whenever you get a big guy around 300 pounds, conditioning will be an issue.

I really hope Eddy hits the program hard this summer, but even if he does, he's still several seasons away from being in top NBA form. His body is still maturing. He's still 3 or 4 years away. I don't like it, but it's the truth.

Second, Erick Dampier is right. It takes a while for centers to develop.

Third, look at the upside and downside. The upside of Eddy is best center in the NBA. We just saw Eddy go against the all star center of the west, and he's not that far behind. He's got the quickness and strength to use, which he really hasn't figured out how to yet. The upside is huge.

The downside? He may come in out of shape again. Maybe then he'll only average 15 points and 7 rebounds until he gets into shape in February. Hmmm, 15 and 7, that may be enough to get to the all star game. What would you replace that with? Stromile Swift's 9 points and 5 boards? Puhleeze!

Eddy will be an RFA next summer. The Bulls are in the driver's seat. The upside is huge, and the downside is pretty good. I just can't see any reason to trade.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zeos</b>!
Of course you keep him!

First, yes, he did come to camp out of shape. What isn't widely known is just how serious the eye injury he had this summer was. I don't know all the details, just that he had to be immobile for some time. This, unfortunately, happened right after he took some time off anyway. Some other injuries, like a bone bruise, set him back a couple of times.

Conditioning for big men like that are always an issue. Ming has conditioning issues. Shaq has conditioning issues. The big knock on Zach Randolph is his conditioning. It took forever for Z to get into condition (if he is yet). Heck, Brand didn't get his body into great shape until his third or fourth season. Whenever you get a big guy around 300 pounds, conditioning will be an issue.

I really hope Eddy hits the program hard this summer, but even if he does, he's still several seasons away from being in top NBA form. His body is still maturing. He's still 3 or 4 years away. I don't like it, but it's the truth.

Third, look at the upside and downside. The upside of Eddy is best center in the NBA. We just saw Eddy go against the all star center of the west, and he's not that far behind. He's got the quickness and strength to use, which he really hasn't figured out how to yet. The upside is huge.

The downside? He may come in out of shape again. Maybe then he'll only average 15 points and 7 rebounds until he gets into shape in February. Hmmm, 15 and 7, that may be enough to get to the all star game. What would you replace that with? Stromile Swift's 9 points and 5 boards? Puhleeze!

Eddy will be an RFA next summer. The Bulls are in the driver's seat. The upside is huge, and the downside is pretty good. I just can't see any reason to trade.
Good post.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Depends on the deal (as always).

It's hard for me to imagine Curry not always having conditioning problems.
I agree with all of this.

I will say that it's hard for me to imagine a GM giving up a Pierce-type player for Curry. And if we are not getting something like that, why make the trade?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The only way I see Chandler and/or Curry getting traded is if there an unbelievable deal that comes the Bulls way, or we are in a position to draft Okafor, in which case Paxson would have to at least consider keeping Okafor if he drafts him.

Keep Curry.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zeos</b>!
Of course you keep him!

OK, but can we really wait another 3-4 years (as Krause suggested in his radio interview a few weeks back) and hope he gets it?

The way this team is presently constituted, I don't see how it gets even above .500 over that time without Eddy Curry in something close to all-star form. Will that be acceptable? Or is there a high probability that such a plan results in more desperation and a boneheaded trade of some sort in order to win more in the short-run?

Just for argument's sake, let's say you trade him for a guy like Paul Pierce. I think with slight changes, you put Pierce on this team and we're at least .500 for the next three seasons, and better depending on how guys like Kirk, Chandler, Crawford, and our draft pick this summer come along.

They've still got way too much youth, and not enough guys that can help win. With a more solid team around Eddy, they could afford to bring him along, but without that his inconsistency will kill us. Similarly, they could trade him and perhaps get enough back to let their other young players develop into something special.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
He is not 4 years away, he is 2 years away. Eddy Curry is 21. I strongly believe that, with very very VERY few exceptions, if someone is not consistently playing at All-Star level at the age of 23, he never will. Age 23 is the cut-off.

I also think that NBA GM's recognize this. If a guy is 22 and hasn't done much with his athletic ability yet, like Darius Miles, GM's don't pretend that he has heaps of trade value. Instead they trade him for Jeff McInnis.

Curry has high trade value right now. If you wait until next year and he is still like this, people on this site may still be saying the same things about Curry's age, but in reality his trade value won't be so high anymore.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
if pax believes he can get Curry to play this way in November on, then keep him. If Pax believes Curry is only going to wake up the last week in january every year, trade him. Right now Curry has proven over his brief 3 year career that he can dominate sometime from Jan 20 on. The problem is that he is Pervis Ellison until this date as well. Thats the question Pax has to ask himself. Everyone wants to make this a shape issue. And that might have something to do with it. But I think its far more of a mental issue

1 - 20 of 56 Posts