Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bulls' Curry might just need seasoning
I saw that Dampier trade thing and was searching for the trade but I found this article instead

...and questions linger about his passion. The Bulls are said to be listening to offers for Curry,....

Warriors center Erick Dampier has a message for Chicago: Be careful.

"It takes awhile for centers to come into this game," said Dampier, possibly now starting to arrive in his eighth season. "I don't know of a center who has come into this league and been a dominant force right away, except for Shaquille O'Neal. Other than that, I can't think of anyone else. It's hard being a young center. You're used to playing 38 or 40 games and now you're playing 82. It's hard on your body. It's going to take him a couple of years - just like it took me a couple of years."

Then again, Dampier has frequently been accused of lacking fire.

"Of course I heard that," Dampier said of longtime criticism. "That comes with the game."

And it's coming at Eddy Curry right now.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Garnett was the measuring stick. And to a lesser extent, Jermane O'neal. But it is really up to Eddy. I think what fooled most of us is the fact that he went through a stretch last season where he scored so easily on anybody in the league, including shaq, that most of assumed the kid would work hard from there and be even better. Little did we know he settled and believed the hype. He had no need to get THAT much better because he had Blount, Chandler and Bargaric to back him and not take his job. He knew the center spot was his. So why improve?

Other teams knew Eddy could score and they worked their defensive scheme to include a double up and fronting him to stop him. It worked.

The defense and rebounded is still not here.

We need to ask ourselves can we afford to wait 8 years for a Dampier in Eddy and Tyson? No. We cannot. Is it fair to the other two players? No. But the old NBA is not about being fair. It used to be fielding your best team night in and night out and win at all costs.

All of this being said. We keep Eddy for now. But I say deadline 1005, is another story. Eddy needs to come in next season and show us more. I think he can. Especially with Pax kicking him this summer.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Instead of bashing curry all the time what we should be thinking is were are expectations of a 20 year old at the start of this season a little high. I mean he is averaging 13 pts, 6 rebounds, and the only bull shooting bettert than 50%. He has increased his FT to almost 5 per game and is not making greater than 70%.

His D at the end of last year was also weak. It is just silly to expect such a young player on a team full of young players to dominate. PG's and Centers take the longest to mature in the NBA. JK filled this team with kids with no real veteran leadership and now we a blame either JC or curry. When williams went down it was a one year set back. Stop blaming curry everyone. We are just going to have to wait.

david

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
we are going to have to wait for a while. That is true

As for Dampier, GS tried to move him for years. He was hurt early in his career. If you believe the media, then Dampier was on the block for a number of years So it is true, it took Dampier this long to deliver, but he is not telling the whole story. His team stayed with him because they had no choice.

Dampier was not all that bad. Eddy's early numbers are better than Dampiers were.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>giusd</b>!
Instead of bashing curry all the time what we should be thinking is were are expectations of a 20 year old at the start of this season a little high. I mean he is averaging 13 pts, 6 rebounds, and the only bull shooting bettert than 50%. He has increased his FT to almost 5 per game and is not making greater than 70%.

His D at the end of last year was also weak. It is just silly to expect such a young player on a team full of young players to dominate. PG's and Centers take the longest to mature in the NBA. JK filled this team with kids with no real veteran leadership and now we a blame either JC or curry. When williams went down it was a one year set back. Stop blaming curry everyone. We are just going to have to wait.

david
I agree with this. The expectations on Curry were too high, however, he does not seem to be showing the effort fans desire. Also, though he has improved, he seems to be making the same mistakes he was as a rookie in some areas.

I'm willing to give him time. I wouldn't trade him.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
I think some hot pepper in his boxers is all the seasoning Eddy would need to get him to move alittle on the court.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
eddy's burning desire

you know i dug this up from the vault at nbadraft.net just to remind myself (and now others) of what was said in then:

Eddy Curry 6-10 300 C Thornwood (South Holland, IL) HS Sr. -- Due to the runaway freight train that is Shaquille O'Neal, the team with the top pick may choose to go for strength over agility (Curry over Brown). Curry is the type of prospect that in a few years could contend with Shaquille O'Neal. He isn't as big, strong, or agile, but might have even more touch, plus 11 years of youth. The big question is whether the fire will keep burning inside.

and it remains the big question. who here can honestly say you have seen anything remotely close to desire this year, burning or otherwise. sure, he needs a bunch of seasoning, and a summer of skiles special bootcamp barbeque.

:|

·
Registered
26 Posts
"skiles special bootcamp barbeque." :laugh:
If paxson trades curry and in 2 years hes in the all star game with stats like 20+ppg and 8-9rbs fans will hate him more than they ever did kruase.
these stats are not that unlikely for him. I say give him 2 years we have no other center on our team and I dont see any "center" in the draft better than he is(okafor is not a center).
Everyone is on curry's back and I dont know what they really expected of him its like they thought he was going to score 30pts a night and play defense like Ben Wallace! I did thought he would be better than he is now but this is just a slump for him and he is going to be a top center in the east. The bulls lost JWill and Chandler has been gone like the whole season so far these are huge losses especially Jay I believe pax was going to make a run at Melo on draft night with either Jamal or Jay packaged with thier draft pick until Jay got hurt like a week before the draft and that was a HUGE LOSS! :sigh: Being a bulls fan the last 5 years has really been tough...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
How much more "seasoning" do you give Curry? I'll give him the fact that he is young, but some things should start to click after three years in the pros. Like someone mentioned, he does the same things he did as a rookie that he shouldn't be doing now in his third year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts