Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a month ago, he was doing all the wrong things. He was a slouchy hip-hopper tipping the scales at 320 pounds and headed in the opposite direction of the 285-pound target weight the Bulls had set. He got ripped in the media for being on track to come to camp overweight and out of shape for the fourth straight year since the Bulls drafted him out of Thornwood High School.

But new agents Darren White and Lamont Carter compelled him to submit to a massive makeover. No more cornrows, baggy clothes and immaturity.

White and Carter met with Bulls operations chief John Paxson, who was getting phone calls from teams hoping the Bulls were ready to unload Curry, and vowed that in 60 days, they would change Curry into a new man and a sleek player.

Well, on Tuesday, Curry made his periodic pilgrimage to the Bulls to get weighed, and the scales provided some good news for E-City lovers. He weighed in at 285 pounds, and training camp is still more than a month away.

"I first started this program out of anger to shut up my critics. But I started feeling so good that I got hooked on the program for the good it's doing for me.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/banks/cst-spt-banx05.html

Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished when someone finds his motivation? Now he knows what he's capable of accomplishing when he sets his mind to it. The question now becomes, will he continue to do the right things once he signs his new contract?

But in any event, you've got to give credit where credit is due. Whatever the source of his newfound motivation, he did it. He reached the goal Bulls management set for him with a month to spare. This is possibly the best Bulls news of the summer, trumping the Nocioni signing, the improvement in Chandler's back, and the rookie team's performance in Salt Lake City back in July.

Do I detect signs of positive momentum starting to take hold of this organization? Are we about to enter training camp on a roll without conflict, injuries or major lineup holes that need to be filled? As someone in the movies once said, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I like what I hear, but maintence is the key.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good, sounds like pax should dead all the trade proposals now..that's some pretty exciting news...

NO way jerry's gettin him now

Thing is, IS he just doing it cuz it contract season? or does he actually wanna become great in this game?

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
This could easily be useless p.r. Curry still could be an overweight slob come October 31st. And unless it translates directly to wins then I don't really care. Congratulations Eddy now learn how to pass out of a double team too. I'm tired of being Mr. Nice Guy and understanding with these losers.

P.S. The Cubs have gotten to me this year cause they couldn't be bigger losers of course they could also win the Wild Card...(THEY WONT)

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
good news

I like the sound of this.

Let's hope the motivation is coming partly from an internal motivation to win.... not just taking an agents advice as to how to score a huge payday.

And.... if he does play hard and well this season.... let's hope Uncle Jerry (who should sell the team.... we deserve better) coughs up the cash.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Nice!

Originally posted by <b>Curry</b>!

"I first started this program out of anger to shut up my critics. But I started feeling so good that I got hooked on the program for the good it's doing for me.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/banks/cst-spt-banx05.html
Hopefully, he also enjoys playing better so much that he keeps putting the work in and eating right.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like the fact that Eddy finally got angry about something. Let's hope he can stay motivated after he gets his big contract and let's hope he can actually get angry and motivated each time he steps on the court. I think that was a bigger problem than his weight.

''I can eat all the meats and vegetables I want,'' Curry said. ''But no bread, no rice or potatoes, no fruits and no sweet drinks.
Wow, Eddy can eat all the meat he wants and he's still losing weight?? He might want to patent that program and call it the, ummm... Atkins diet?? :|

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Chi_Lunatic</b>!

Thing is, IS he just doing it cuz it contract season? or does he actually wanna become great in this game?
the million dollar question

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
I like what I hear, but maintence is the key.
Right. Even though I don't expect this to happen, if you can go from 320 to 285 in a month, you can also go from 285 to 320 the next month.

I'm really happy about this, though. Eddy has been my favorite Bull since we drafted him because he's so damn talented. I hope he can keep it together.

And Eddy, please learn at least one more post move as well this summer!

·
Registered
62 Posts
yea i think in the bulls.com interview he said that he used to use training camp to get in shape but now since he is in shape he can add to his game. so that new post move is coming shortly.;)

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
I like that he fired Goodwin aka Crawfords agent. Negotiating a contract should go more smoothly this time around. Goodwin was only negotiating with the Knicks not the Bulls so no wonder Crawford didn't get resigned.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

Right. Even though I don't expect this to happen, if you can go from 320 to 285 in a month, you can also go from 285 to 320 the next month.
Yes. And remember when Eddy was drafted and first started working out with Grover? We heard all of the same things as he plummeted to <300: "I'm eating skinless chicken and bunless sandwiches," "I'm off bread," "I feel sleek and vigorous," etc.

Don't get me wrong: a fit Eddy Curry beats a fat Eddy Curry eight days a week. But forgive me if I don't consider this latest pronouncement from Camp Curry to mean Eddy's permanently reformed. Contract year or no contract year, for the rest of this guy's Bulls career we're always going to be sweating his weight during offseasons, and it's going to get worse as he gets older*.

* For further reading, consult Lakers v. O'Neal.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Are we sure he is not lying? I mean..who knows its real weight? And anyway I don't think that the perfect shape is enough to have a much better Curry...he needs a new attitude, he needs to be more aggressive..to hit someone face...c-mon Eddy let's fight

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kismet</b>!
[Eddy] was a slouchy hip-hopper

A little-known angle to all this: Eddy's musical tastes were as much to blame for his portly state as his dietary ones.

No more high-cal crunk and fat-filled gangsta rap -- Eddy's new sonic regimen includes lots of Slim Whitman, Andy Williams, Perry Como, and Pat Boone. When he's feeling especially frisky and wants to let his hair down (figuratively speaking, of course), Ed spins some Anne Murray or Kenny Rogers or even the soundtracks to "A Summer Place" and "Beach Blanket Bingo"!

If this fine young man keeps this up, maybe takes a few sailing lessons and a wine-tasting course, I would be proud to let him date my daughter.

Way to go, Eddy!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe it to be true that Eddy has lost the weight. I know someone who saw him a couple days ago and he said Eddy looked very thin.

I can only hope that this is only the beginning of Eddy taking his conditioning, diet and strength more seriously.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Part of me is stoked. I think he's very likely legitimately lost alot of weight -- I think lying about it at this point would cause more damage than good and his advisors know this. This is what we wanted, he should be in good condition and from the sounds of it will have some time to work on his game a bit rather than playing catch-up fitness-wise. This allays alot of fears (enough so that I actually drafted the klutz in a fantasy league after I heard the news, lol).

However, my spider-sense is tingling. The fact that this seems to be a push by his new agents to start the contract compaign has me a little concerned -- is this really a change in his attitude, or is this just a result of people advising him on how to get a bigger payday? Has he turned a new leaf, or is this just going to be a contract season?

I think that things look much better in the short-term, but in the long term it's still a dillemma.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BabyBlueSlugga7</b>!
I like that he fired Goodwin aka Crawfords agent. Negotiating a contract should go more smoothly this time around. Goodwin was only negotiating with the Knicks not the Bulls so no wonder Crawford didn't get resigned.
Goodwin was never Currys agent .The agent that both he and Jamal had was Arn Tellem .

This article is nothing special its what to be expected in a contract year .I think we all need to keeep a open mind in that hes getting in shape but it doesnt neccessarily mean hes doing it because he wants to remain a bull or even gives a crap what Pax and skiles have to say. He could be doing all this with the thought of rfa next summer and ufa the year after .

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know what? Its not important where he got his motivation. The fact is he achieved his goal one month ahead of schedule. You don't think Paxson and Skiles won't seek feedback from Grover? You don't think Pax will get an opinion from his buddy MJ who's been working out at Hoops as well? You can count on the Bulls seeking input from every source they can. They'll find out if Eddy attacked his workouts or if Grover had to drag him into the gym kicking and screaming. They'll find out from Jordan if the kid was serious during pickup games. You can count of Paxson getting a fairly good handle on just how serious and committed Eddy has become.

Paxson has put alot of faith in Curry. Paxson has said no to alot of trade proposals in the hope that one day the kid might get it. Well, maybe Paxson's faith was justified. Eddy will be evaluated in every way possible from this moment on. You don't committ $90 million without performing your due dilligence.

So lets be cautiously optimistic that Eddy's finally gotten it. Because right now its a no lose situation for the Bulls. If he has an outstanding season the Bulls as a team will prosper in the standings. If he just has a "very good" season but management still has doubts, his market value will be so high he may bring real value at the trade deadline. And if he starts to slip back into his old ways, his trade value won't be any less than it is now.

So lets enjoy the news and give the kid the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Is it me or does this sound like a puff piece his new management team threw out to reshape his image, just like they said they would? Whether it is true or not, it has been reported and, on here at least, it seems to be producing the desired effect.

I am always leery of a drastic behavioural change in a person. Without a life altering event, I see little reason for people to somehow achieve the sort of clarity they often say they got, without understanding how they got it.

Those that have read my post over the years know that I tend to take the pessimists view on these sorts of things. Maybe I am wrong, but there is a reason you see people do things just in contract years, and then revert back to who they were immediately after achieving their short-term goal. Good luck to Curry and good luck to the Bulls.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts