Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should we give him an extension now that he's at the target weight. I think we could get him under the max if we give him an extension now but will have to give the max to him once the Clippers offer that to him. IDK when we can start negotiating an extension but if all sources are true should we do it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BabyBlueSlugga7</b>!
Should we give him an extension now that he's at the target weight. I think we could get him under the max if we give him an extension now but will have to give the max to him once the Clippers offer that to him. IDK when we can start negotiating an extension but if all sources are true should we do it.
I'd rather wait til' his performance on the court..he's only fulfilled one part of the bargin...

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
You might as well wait. I doubt he'd accept much under the max now, seeing what other older, less productive big men have gotten this offseason. Maybe you save a million per season if you offer it to him now, but that's a pretty juicy risk. I'd rather spend the extra $5-10 million next summer to make sure that he's a sure thing.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It's obvious that he is doing this for the extension. His agents are pushing him for their larger commisions. I would wait until next season to see where he is among the centers before offering him anything. We will have the rights to match anything so we are in no rush. Look at Swift and Miles, it's the same case. Isiah Thomas will not have anything to offer us next year so, hopefully, we will have one less GM to deal with. West won't have the Cash to do anything so no need to worry. Cuban has his man in Dampier. Lakers won't have the cap and likely KOBE doesn't want Curry as the center. Clippers will never offer anyone big money. Utah has their man in Okur. One team that might create a problem for us is Atlanta. They will need a center and have a lot of Cap. So now, we just need to hunt their GM down and tell him to be careful with his summer plans. :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
You might as well wait. I doubt he'd accept much under the max now, seeing what other older, less productive big men have gotten this offseason. Maybe you save a million per season if you offer it to him now, but that's a pretty juicy risk. I'd rather spend the extra $5-10 million next summer to make sure that he's a sure thing.

My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see the Clippers or Hawks offering Curry the max.

Maggette-Brand-Curry you know we could of had something better in Artest-Brand-Curry. I don't think Curry will even think of signing an offer sheet with the Hawks.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Man I know the what seems like the norm in the NBA is to give a guy with his size and skills the max . But there's no way in hell I give Curry the max. Target weight or not. A young player already having weight problems has bad investment written all over it.

I'm starting to think Curry isn't gonna be any thing more than a 15ppg scorer who has weight problems and plays no defense and is light on the boards.

I just don't see any way Curry is gonna become this every game star that he has the potential to be. It requires that he make a lifestyle commitment not just a get in shape a couple times commitment.

I don't think with his mentality that he'll ever be worth the max and he won't affect the bottomline much at all which is winning.

Once he gets the big contract he's gonna start slacking big time.

I just have that feeling.

Still to soon to give up on him no hurry there but the max I'm not a Bulls fans but I like to see young bigs succeed.

I'm just real suspect when it comes to Curry.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
There are something called "BONUSES". Personally, I wouldn't mind offering Curry the MAX as long as he meets certain conditions: weight, rebouding, and minutes played averages. We probably should add something like playoff appearances.

I think if Curry averages 10RPG, 35MPG, 290lbs or under, 65-70 games, and takes the Bulls to the playoffs every year, he should be worth the MAX for sure. I think Max Centers/Power forwards can easily deliver those numbers: KG, Duncan, Shaq, JO, and Webber. Those players are worth Max dollars.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Due to current day contracts Curry is definitely worth the max. I think he should have a starting contract 8-11 million depending on how he does next year. I've always been a big supporter of him tho.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'd wait on offering that large contract just yet, if it were up to me. And when the time comes I'd layer the contract with performance incentives if at all possible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cuban has his man in Dampier. Lakers won't have the cap and likely KOBE doesn't want Curry as the center.
Cuban seems like he changes his mind as much as he changes socks. One minute he trades for (or signs) a guy and talks about how much value he has to the team, and a season later (or less) trades the same player away. Laettner, VanExel, Walker, LaFrentz.... (off the top of my head)

As for Kobe, he may find out this season that having a big man in the middle may not be such a bad thing AFTER all.

Sorry, just playing the devil's advocate.....:devil:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!
There are something called "BONUSES". Personally, I wouldn't mind offering Curry the MAX as long as he meets certain conditions: weight, rebouding, and minutes played averages. We probably should add something like playoff appearances.

I think if Curry averages 10RPG, 35MPG, 290lbs or under, 65-70 games, and takes the Bulls to the playoffs every year, he should be worth the MAX for sure. I think Max Centers/Power forwards can easily deliver those numbers: KG, Duncan, Shaq, JO, and Webber. Those players are worth Max dollars.
Just what I was thinking, give him a base of $8M and the rest in bonuses. Weight, shooting %, Allstar appearances, All NBA teams, rpg, then it's up to him how much he really earns. And that's a contract I would give him just before the season starts, assuming he'll play a good pre-season.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rodman</b>!

Just what I was thinking, give him a base of $8M and the rest in bonuses. Weight, shooting %, Allstar appearances, All NBA teams, rpg, then it's up to him how much he really earns. And that's a contract I would give him just before the season starts, assuming he'll play a good pre-season.
So if someone else offers him all that money guaranteed, would you let Curry walk?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd sign him now. He's gonna get the offers anyway. What I'd do tho is structure it so that there is a team option after the 4th year and a player option after the fifth year. If he goes lazy after getting his contract, he'll get guaranteed money for four years. It kinda sucks for the bulls, but at least it wouldn't be seven years guaranteed. The team cuts him loose, recoups his cap figure and moves on. If, on the other hand, he plays up to his abilities, he could actually opt out after his fifth year and seek long-term security while in the prime of his career. The Bulls would have the ability to offer him more than anybody else and if he's worth it and the team is doing well, I could see them paying.

In any event, I'd set it up so that the team has an "out" before the player does.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fl_flash</b>!
I'd sign him now. He's gonna get the offers anyway. What I'd do tho is structure it so that there is a team option after the 4th year and a player option after the fifth year. If he goes lazy after getting his contract, he'll get guaranteed money for four years. It kinda sucks for the bulls, but at least it wouldn't be seven years guaranteed. The team cuts him loose, recoups his cap figure and moves on. If, on the other hand, he plays up to his abilities, he could actually opt out after his fifth year and seek long-term security while in the prime of his career. The Bulls would have the ability to offer him more than anybody else and if he's worth it and the team is doing well, I could see them paying.

In any event, I'd set it up so that the team has an "out" before the player does.
Same question for you as for Rodman. If another team offers him six years guaranteed, would you let him walk?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I would pay Eddy Curry 10k per rebound. Seriously.

6 years at 10k per board. :yes:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!

Same question for you as for Rodman. If another team offers him six years guaranteed, would you let him walk?
I'm confused by the question. The Bulls are the only team that can sign him to a contract extension this season (before oct 30th?) which would kick in after this season. I thought the thread was asking whether you extend curry now or wait a year for him to be a RFA. I'd extend him now with the terms I suggested. Wheter he and his agent would accept those terms is a whole 'nother thread. So, in my scenario, no other team would ever be able to make an offer as he would go from rookie deal to extended contract.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fl_flash</b>!

I'm confused by the question. The Bulls are the only team that can sign him to a contract extension this season (before oct 30th?) which would kick in after this season. I thought the thread was asking whether you extend curry now or wait a year for him to be a RFA. I'd extend him now with the terms I suggested. Wheter he and his agent would accept those terms is a whole 'nother thread. So, in my scenario, no other team would ever be able to make an offer as he would go from rookie deal to extended contract.
Understood. But a lot of people in the thread are saying the Bulls should wait a year. I think that in this forum in general, there's a lack of consideration of the possibility that the Bulls will let Curry walk next summer.

It's fine to say you'd only give him 8 million a year in guaranteed money, or you'd only give him 4 years guaranteed. But the more important question is, what happens if he turns that down, and next year, another team offers him more than that? Either you raise your offer, or you lose him for nothing.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!

Understood. But a lot of people in the thread are saying the Bulls should wait a year. I think that in this forum in general, there's a lack of consideration of the possibility that the Bulls will let Curry walk next summer.

It's fine to say you'd only give him 8 million a year in guaranteed money, or you'd only give him 4 years guaranteed. But the more important question is, what happens if he turns that down, and next year, another team offers him more than that? Either you raise your offer, or you lose him for nothing.
Sure. For me, I'd offer him max money now with four years guaranteed. Kind of a bird in the hand thing. I wouldn't try to lowball him or anything like that now. That kind of an offer would gague his interest in staying with this team long term. He couldn't get anything better in terms of money and so the only reason I could see him not agreeing to it would be because he really wants out. He'd come back, obstensibly, not liking the fourth year team option but I would think his handlers would jump at such a deal. It's the best score they could secure also.

His agents seems savvy enough that they won't even consider $8 mil a year. All Curry has to do is have a slightly better season than he had last year and teams will line up for him. I'm sure they've bent Eddy's ear enough that he's now on his best behavior. Barring major injuries or a complete dietary meltdown, Eddy's going to be a very rich man this time next year, one way or another. From a management standpoint I'd rather be on the hook for up to four years rather than six or seven.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts