Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Arrhythmia -- irregular heartbeat -- is experienced by millions of people in a variety of forms. Some are harmless, but others are so dangerous that they claim 500,000 lives a year in this country.

Given its lethal potential and the effectiveness of available treatment, it is unfortunate that the symptoms of arrhythmia aren't more dramatic. heart palpitations, characterized by a "fluttery" or "quivering" feeling in the chest, shortness of breath, dizziness, lightheadedness and fainting are typical of both the benign and potentially life-threatening forms of heart irregularities. Only a proper medical examination will tell you which kind you have.

The mortality rate from the most malignant arrhythmias can reach 70 percent per year, but even the first line of treatment -- medication -- can cut the death rate to between 15 and 25 percent. Other forms of treatment include pacemakers, surgery, an implantable defibrillator, which resets the heart's rhythm with a tiny electrical jolt, and a catheter procedure that breaks improper bio-electrical connections in the heart with radio frequency energy.

There are several general causes of arrhythmias -- scarring of the heart from previous heart attacks or surgery, structural abnormalities, flaws in the bio-electrical system that drives the heartbeat, and congenital heart disease. Some medications and metabolic disorders can also cause arrhythmia.

If you suffer from the symptoms of arrhythmia, see a cardiologist without delay. You are lucky to get any warning at all!"
http://www.icorp.net/cardio/articles/arrhythm.htm

Probably means that we won't see him the rest of the year. :curse:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Other people have had it and not had a problem. I remember 2 years ago Joey Harrington had an irregular heartbeat. They kept him out one game, and he came right back the next week, I believe.

Hopefully Eddy can, too.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
I'm telling you guys, Eddy will be back soon. Its not as serious as you make it sound. I have had irregular heart beats before, and I am sure many of you have too. Sean Elliot in the 1999 finals has irregular heart beats before a game in the finals, he chose to play the game, had a solid game. He also had kindey problems of the past and I don't think Eddy has that. Eddy will be fine, he is not sitting out the rest of the year. He might miss this game, and maybe the Bobcats game, but he will be back soon. Eddy is in super duper alley ooper shape. He will be back, he is not an ordinary person, he is in better shape then the average person, and he has a lot more money then the average person to get quick and effective treatment.

Now one thing that can cause this is diet pills. Makes you wonder how Eddy took the weight off in the offseason.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
I've had Arrhythmia most of my life without any life threatening problems... so far. On the bright side of all this is that if I suddenly stop posting you'll know why. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I also have a heart arrhythmia, and I think I know exactly the feeling Eddy had.

And for me it was very scary, I collapsed after being driven to the ground by dizziness, and the biggest difference between fainting from light headedness or something was that I was totally concious the whole time and could not move at all for a couple of seconds, it was like I was watching tv and the camera was dropped (i could still see and it looked like everything was sideways when I hit the floor), I pulled myself to my feet and kind of just walked it off. The light headedness went away slowly for about 5-10 minutes and I was fine.

I needed no treatment and havent had a problem since. Lets hope Eddy is alright.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey, this all a plot to drive down Eddy's value to other teams and to ensure we sign him to a realistic salary. Just kidding, I think......... :angel:

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
KwaZulu said:
Hey, this all a plot to drive down Eddy's value to other teams and to ensure we sign him to a realistic salary. Just kidding, I think......... :angel:
Well if this could knock Curry's value from 12 millionish to around 8 millionish that would be great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts