Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Insidehoops.com, a proposed trade if the kings were to trade CWebb.

Webber to Memphis for Pau Gasol, Lorenzen Wright and Mike Miller. Why the Kings might do it: There's an old axiom that you don't trade quality for quantity, but there's enough quality here to keep the Kings in title contention while allowing them room to improve. Gasol (23) would take Webber's spot, Miller (23) would share minutes with Christie and Stojakovic, and Wright (28) would back up center and power forward. Why the Grizzlies might do it: Memphis has good depth but little chance at punching through the top layers of Western Conference teams. It makes some sense for the Grizzlies to give up quantity for a superstar. The Grizz lineup would look like this: Webber, James Posey, Stromile Swift, Bonzi Wells and Jason Williams with Shane Battier, Bo Outlaw, Earl Watson and perhaps Gerald Wallace off the bench. Bottom Line: One of those deals that could help both teams. If the Grizzlies asked for, say, Bobby Jackson in addition to Webber, the Kings could counter by asking for Battier, a handy guy to have.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like b/c if gives us that superstar that is needed and it reunited JWill and CWebb. BTW Sacto would be crazy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
no

In theory it might sound good,but it could also turn the Kings into the new MAVS. Mark cubanising a team is never a good idea when the team is already a title contender. Also the Grizz have finally started to play ball and are in the runnng for a playoff spot. They shouldnt destroy thier core and ruin chemistry. C Webb is a top 5 player when healthy but the big word is WHEN he's healthy.
 

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
Joined
·
19,803 Posts
So the Jerry West is going to give up a very young almost All Star level PF who has never missed a game in the NBA for a aging, chronically unhealthy and overpaid PF AND Mike Miller AND Lorenzen Wright.

So in reality, half of our games will be played with a frontline of either Swift and Outlaw or Swift and Tsakalidis....:hurl: on that deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
All I have to about this is that CWebb isn't enough like Dampier. Dampier or a similar player is all we need. And Ratliff isn't big enough to be like Dampier. The Grizzlies are young, learning from their experience and Hubie, and will get better and better for years to come. They are 5 to 7 years from their peak and they are already competing for a playoff spot. Losing streaks suck but this team is already ahead of schedule.

Sacro can keep CWebb and retire his jersey along with Divac's.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
CWebb is not the most durable player, but him with JWill? Would be exciting.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
NO WAY!!! Webber ain't much better than Gasol. Gasol is already getting similar numbers, and that's in less minutes and that's while PLAYING THE WHOLE SEASON!! Webber plays 20 games a season, CHOKE IN THE PLAYOFFS and takes up half the cap. No thank you, you can keep your chokers.

I'd rather trade for Reef, at least the guy plays night in night out, even if he loses. He also has a horrible contract, but at least he's healthy the entire season, while being one of the top 10 PF's in the league.

Anyway, a trade for a PF is off limits right now. This team is only going to get better, and PF is one of our best positions. Gasol, Swift, Wright, and Outlaw?? I love our PF situation, and would hate to make it worse.

Webber was an all-star once, but now he doesn't even play. And we all know how good the kings are without him. He's a non-factor for the kings, and he'll be a none factor for us.

Why are we trading for a PF? A legit C is all we need!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
Webber is a better passer than Gasol, but then again, most of the Kings are good passers because of their system.

I think Gasol could develop into a better player than Webber at his prime.
 

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
Joined
·
20,601 Posts
NO WAY!!! Webber ain't much better than Gasol. Gasol is already getting similar numbers, and that's in less minutes and that's while PLAYING THE WHOLE SEASON!! Webber plays 20 games a season, CHOKE IN THE PLAYOFFS and takes up half the cap. No thank you, you can keep your chokers.
:laugh: O god this ones hillarious, somedays man... Pau 17 7 2, Webber 24 10 5, since when are those SIMILAR NUMBERS, btw, Webber last season, first ever missed playoff game, and thats when you need him... and thats the first time hes ever missed a playoff game, how can you say if Pau is a choker or not? Hes never even been in the playoffs, Pau is more likely to choke than Webber is, cuz Webber has been there before and Pau hasnt stepped foot on the court of an NBA playoff game, and the Kings would never take this, Webber is a better passer, and a better post defender, say what you want about the defending part, but last year the Kings were #1 in D, this year they are pretty low, the Kings would become a Dallas Mavs team, because Pau is soft on the inside, if it wasnt for Wright, who is a great post defender, the Grizzlies would get killed on the inside... No thank you, the Kings are keeping C Webb
 

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
Joined
·
20,601 Posts
Webber was an all-star once, but now he doesn't even play. And we all know how good the kings are without him. He's a non-factor for the kings, and he'll be a none factor for us.
DIDNT THE MAVS SERIES LAST YEAR PROVE WEBBERS IMPORTANCE TO THE KINGS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...marc&id=1723508

Read that if your looking for reasons as to WHY the Kings need Webber...
 

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
Joined
·
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!


DIDNT THE MAVS SERIES LAST YEAR PROVE WEBBERS IMPORTANCE TO THE KINGS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...marc&id=1723508

Read that if your looking for reasons as to WHY the Kings need Webber...
Dude go back to your forum. We don't want Webber and you don't want Pau. It's agreed, now go. shoo, shoo....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!


:laugh: O god this ones hillarious, somedays man... Pau 17 7 2, Webber 24 10 5, since when are those SIMILAR NUMBERS, btw, Webber last season, first ever missed playoff game, and thats when you need him... and thats the first time hes ever missed a playoff game, how can you say if Pau is a choker or not? Hes never even been in the playoffs, Pau is more likely to choke than Webber is, cuz Webber has been there before and Pau hasnt stepped foot on the court of an NBA playoff game, and the Kings would never take this, Webber is a better passer, and a better post defender, say what you want about the defending part, but last year the Kings were #1 in D, this year they are pretty low, the Kings would become a Dallas Mavs team, because Pau is soft on the inside, if it wasnt for Wright, who is a great post defender, the Grizzlies would get killed on the inside... No thank you, the Kings are keeping C Webb
Considering CWebb's horrible contract, his age(he's old), and his lack of endurance(always injured), and how he gets to play more minutes, he's not much better than pau. C web gets 23 10.5 5.4 and miss half the season, and probably most of the playoffs, while Gasol will get 17.2 7.9 2.5(which isn't that much worse) in less playing time(39.1 vs. 32.3) and play the whole season.

Can you stop it with the "never made it to the playoff" crap? -_- is that all you got?? seems like that's what everybody says to the grizzlies. "oh, you've never made the playoffs". The grizzlies is a young franchise that started in 1995. That's less than a decade ago. So what if they've never made the playoffs, there's always a first, and this year could be it. And funny you said Gasol's never made the playoffs. Does that make him any less of a player?? He's on his third season!! He has plenty of chances.

That's like saying "Lebron sucks because he's never made the playoffs" or "Lebron sucks because he's never won a championship". Sorry, doesn't work that way. Just like how Lebron still has ways to improve, same goes for Gasol. And this season the grizzlies will probably make the playoffs, so you can stop using the "no playoff" crap.

Webber was in his prime when he choked in the playoffs. He was a veteran, and his chance to win was then or never. His time has probably passed, as he is old and will always be plagued with injury problems. It's unlikely that at this age he'll learn to be clutch. Gasol still has ways to go before he reaches his prime. Gasol is only 23, and on his third season. Even if he chokes, it's okay, cuz the grizzlies is a young team, and they'll have plenty of chances at the championship. He'll get plenty of clutch shots in his career, and he'll learn how to make them.
 

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
Joined
·
20,601 Posts
That's like saying "Lebron sucks because he's never made the playoffs" or "Lebron sucks because he's never won a championship". Sorry, doesn't work that way. Just like how Lebron still has ways to improve, same goes for Gasol. And this season the grizzlies will probably make the playoffs, so you can stop using the "no playoff" crap.
No but thats like saying Lebron is better than Kobe, cuz Kobes been on the IL this season...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!


No but thats like saying Lebron is better than Kobe, cuz Kobes been on the IL this season...
Kobe doesn't have a history of injury problems. Webber, Carter, Camby, McDyees, and Grant Hill, are players whose career have been plagued by history. They tend to be injured for a good part of a season. And everybody knows that Kobe never stays off the court long. He'll be back soon enough, and will definitely step up his game come playoffs.

Kobe's stats have been down before he went on the IL anyway. He was averaging 22ppg or so, which was way down from his ppg last season. It's not cuz of injury, but cuz of his trial. Once he gets everything settled, he'll be the Kobe as of last season and dominate the league's shooting guards once again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!


DIDNT THE MAVS SERIES LAST YEAR PROVE WEBBERS IMPORTANCE TO THE KINGS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...marc&id=1723508

Read that if your looking for reasons as to WHY the Kings need Webber...
Well they played half a season with the guy, and then he can no longer play. They have to change their game plan on the fly, days before the most important series in the year up to that time for them. If they were prepared whom is to say they can't play as they are now?

-Petey
 

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
Joined
·
20,601 Posts
Well they played half a season with the guy, and then he can no longer play. They have to change their game plan on the fly, days before the most important series in the year up to that time for them. If they were prepared whom is to say they can't play as they are now?
They knew how to play without him because they had to play without him during the regular season, they know how to win without him, and they know their game plan, nothing changes, instead of going through Webber to provide the offense in the post they have to rely on Divac, who isnt nearly as good, and thats why they cant win in the Playoffs without him... havent you noticed the last 5 championships all had a good post player... Shaq and Duncan, and the reason the West is so dominant is because of post players, and post players are hard to come by these days, especially one of Webbers talent level, who cant play post defense, score in the post as well as outside, take people off the dribble, and pass... They cant win in the postseason without him, hes their best player...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!


They knew how to play without him because they had to play without him during the regular season, they know how to win without him, and they know their game plan, nothing changes, instead of going through Webber to provide the offense in the post they have to rely on Divac, who isnt nearly as good, and thats why they cant win in the Playoffs without him... havent you noticed the last 5 championships all had a good post player... Shaq and Duncan, and the reason the West is so dominant is because of post players, and post players are hard to come by these days, especially one of Webbers talent level, who cant play post defense, score in the post as well as outside, take people off the dribble, and pass... They cant win in the postseason without him, hes their best player...
Yes, Webber is a great player, but chances are that he's going to be injured, or really rusty come playoff time. He just hasn't been healthy. He's damaged goods. Hey, Gasol could turn into that dominate post player in a couple seasons, or maybe even months.

I'm just saying Gasol is worth much more than Webber at this point, just for the fact he's healthy, has ways to improve(while not being that much worse than CWebb), young, and has a sweet contract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
Re: no

Originally posted by <b>Unlimitedgame</b>!
In theory it might sound good,but it could also turn the Kings into the new MAVS. Mark cubanising a team is never a good idea when the team is already a title contender. Also the Grizz have finally started to play ball and are in the runnng for a playoff spot. They shouldnt destroy thier core and ruin chemistry. C Webb is a top 5 player when healthy but the big word is WHEN he's healthy.
What exactly is cubanising a franchise? Is that where you take
the worst professional of the 90's and turn them into one of the
best franchises in all of basketball in less than 5 years?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Th

The Dallas team last year was alot better than this years team. He destroys chemistry with his monstar trades which he trades big game players for big game players. These players all have egos and too many superstars is a problem alot of times. What exactly was the point of trading Van Exel who was unstoppable in last years playoffs for Antwan who is a starter on any team in the league and throwing him on the bench to waste? If Van Exel wasnt safe after that performance last year than no one is. What FA are going to there with that kind of loyalty? Nice job mark. YOu took a great team last year and made it worse, not better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NICE...

Good Call!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top