Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It also wasn't scheduled as a road game. Remember, this tournament was originally the Belfast Classic, to be played in Northern Ireland. It never came off because of Brexit-related concerns. The tournament organizers/teams scrambled to find a new site virtually at the last minute. So it's hard to blame Bona for "scheduling" a road game.
Did SBU offer to host it at Key Bank? What were we thinking?! Why didn't we volunteer to host it? A Thanksgiving tourney in balmy Buffalo, NY?? Well?

Good grief Chet.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Then it begs the question, why in the same heck would SBU go all the way to Belfest Ireland for to play these kinds of teams when SBU could (presumably) easily just schedule these same teams more conventionally stateside. In my opinion these exempt tournies should be used by the A10 to get our programs into matchups that would not otherwise materialize but for the invitation to the exempt field. Nobody in Maui was gonna schedule Dayton conventionally. Georgia and Tech probably wouldnt even schedule UD for a buy game. The only reason we're there is because its the only way to get these teams on our schedule.

I just cant believe SBU cant schedule FAU, Hofstra, UIC, Mercer, Canisius, etc straight up. Just seems like a waste of an exempt tournament invitation. If the answer is, "yes, this really is as good as it gets for Bonas," then Bonas needs better marketing. Your program is better than this. If this was Fordham or LaSalle, I could see how such a tournament might fall on the schedule. But you arent Fordham and LaSalle. You should expect far better. Just based on how well your fans will travel and support the program in these kinds of events should get you into certain brackets that other schools your size would never sniff.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
What part of nobody will fucking play us was unclear? The advantage of an mte is you dont have to pay schools to play you and you get 3 for 1. Do you not understand how college scheduling works? We have been in decent events recently but this year it didnt happen. We have no control over it.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I dunno, Chet, but a trip to Northern Ireland could be a good experience for the kids. And, while I can't confirm this, I heard that participation in this tourney might have been part of a commitment to a future, better tourney, like the Paradise Jam. Those two reasons could possibly be why in the same heck. But, those reasons might not fit your apparent agenda to complain about Bona and our scheduling difficulties.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
84, you took the thoughts right out of my head. To play in fucking Ireland Chet! And the exempt tournament like 03 said. Plans fell through and obviously FAU must have said, screw it, evreyone come here to Boca. They sure as shit weren't gonna come to Olean (or even Buffalo) on December 1, to give the best team in the tournament a huge home court advantage.

Damn you harp on some seriously stupid stuff sometimes. 12 hours ago? How deep into the whiskey were you? Isn't that a bit much on a school night?

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bona winning in a tropical rainforest climate should be championed on these boards.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The "We go to fun places" is also pretty important on the recruiting trail. "We're playing in Ireland" sounds good. "We're playing San Diego and Florida Atlantic" only sounds good when the kid is visiting the frozen tundra.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts