Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post that often, but I read the board at least once a day, anyway, Darius was one of my favorite players when he came into the league, and I was pumped when he was traded to the Blazers. I think he's thus far made a good impact on the team and filled our SF spot.

Personally, I'd kind of like to keep this team together and see where it gets us, then re-evaluate at the end of the year. I'd be bummed to see Sheed just traded to be traded, especially if we get back a Keith Van Horn (Ugh.). On the other hand, if an out-of-this-world-trade presents itself (McGrady), go ahead.

If Rasheed can be resigned for around 7-9 million a year, I say do it. Same with Darius at a lower amount...although I have the sneaking suspiscion a team will take a 7 mil/year chance with him.

With our picks, I'd like to maybe trade them both for a higher pick and take a Ray Felton, Ben Gordon, or Jameer Nelson (love that guy's leadership), or keep them and see what falls to us.

At the very least, there seems to now be SOME excitement and hope surrounding Portland. With a potential filled, if not solid, core of young players (Q, DMiles, and Zach), and cap relief in the next couple years, the future is bright as well.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I agree totally, although I would just keep our draft picks and not trade up, EVERY year a stud always falls in the draft or we find someone(ZBo), we actually draft really well. KEEP SHEED....we are actually winning and he is a awesome center.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I tend to disagree about Miles pulling down anywhere near 7 mill per. I noticed several posters here believe he will get plenty of good offers. IMO - Not unless he really tears things up the second half of the year. With the lack of solid SF's in the leauge, he might find some decent offers but nothing near 7 mill.

Then again, I have only seen him play a handful of times since he came into the leauge. Hearsay is usually right in regards to players however.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
As of right now, only 3 teams are assured of having significant cap space to offer big money to FA's this summer - Denver, Utah and Phoenix. Denver has Anthony & Tskitishvili, Utah has Kirilenko & Harpring and Phoenix has Marion & Johnson. I don't see a need at SF for any of them to make a significant offer to Miles.

2 other teams could have significant cap room if they renounce players and refuse to make qualifying offers to guys coming off of their rookie contracts - San Antonio and the Clippers. Actually, there's a possibility of either team making an offer to Miles - espcially LA where he still has a fan following.

Cleveland and Detroit might each have just a little bit more than the MLE to spend. However, Detroit will almost assuredly be using it's cap room to re-sign Okur. And does anyone expect Cleveland to make Miles an offer?

So, the only teams that the Blazers have to worry about maybe making a larger-than-MLE offer are POTENTIALLY the Clippers and the Spurs, and those two only if they make roster moves. For example, the Clippers would have to not make a qualifying offer to Quentin Richardson, Darius' best friend on the Clippers.

If some other team makes him a significantly bigger offer than that (yeah, I can just see the Clips offering him $8 million a year....right....), then the Blazers will probably be better off letting him walk and looking in a different direction.

In short, there might be an offer to Darius that exceeds the MLE, but I really wouldn't worry about it. If he continues to show this kind of game, I would love for the Blazers to make him a 3 year offer (giving him Bird rights again at the end of the deal if he proves himself even more over the next 3 years) for about $15 million. $4.5 million in the first year with $0.5 million raises each year.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Darius is loving his time in Portland, I bet he resigns with us,espescially if we continue on the winning ways and getting good amounts of PT.DMiles was the missing ingridient.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Bit premature

Thus far he looks like a great get but we've got to make sure he can consistently play well. If he can continue to impress than $5 million a year seems pretty reasonable. It's nice to finally see a trade that improves the team.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Has Damon shot less and increased his assists since we got Miles???

last four games
Hawks, 9 shots, 13 assists
Grizzlies, 11 shots, 5 assists
Wizards, 12 shots, 11 assists
Warriors, 5 shots, 7 assists

Maybe with Wallace at center and Miles at SF it has helped Damon as well.... :D

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
also keep in mind that Miles is the projected starter at small forward in Portland for years to come. Not many teams could offer him that.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't know why we'd make the GS deal, which would tack on 17 mil to the salary cap for an extra year or two, but not resign Darius Miles? In terms of cap space for 2005, we'd be better of letting Rasheed to, and resigning Miles.

Quick said it was unlikely that we'd resign Miles because John Nash wants to save cap space....but if that's the case, why trade for Exel and Dampier?

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yega1979</b>!
I don't know why we'd make the GS deal, which would tack on 17 mil to the salary cap for an extra year or two, but not resign Darius Miles? In terms of cap space for 2005, we'd be better of letting Rasheed to, and resigning Miles.

Quick said it was unlikely that we'd resign Miles because John Nash wants to save cap space....but if that's the case, why trade for Exel and Dampier?
Nash would make the GS deal (assuming it's legit) if he'd rather have Damp as his future center then Sheed. Both Damp and Sheed will be UFAs after this season (Damp has an option to become one), both are 29. Both will be looking for contracts in the 10 mil per range. I think Sheed is the better player, but maybe there is something to the Wallace fan grumblings that Nash doesn't want around... Personally I hope that Wallace has been a total pro off the court, and that he has given Nash every reason to keep him, but we don't know that to be a fact.

STOMP

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
Has Damon shot less and increased his assists since we got Miles???

last four games
Hawks, 9 shots, 13 assists
Grizzlies, 11 shots, 5 assists
Wizards, 12 shots, 11 assists
Warriors, 5 shots, 7 assists
Maybe with Wallace at center and Miles at SF it has helped Damon as well.... :D
As much as I rant about Damon, I have to admit he's looked decent these last several games. Probably several reasons:

• In some ways it's such a relief to see Woods not play the point that Damon is shining merely by comparison

• With Miles on the court and Sheed at center, we now have a much, much quicker team. Sheed loves to throw it down and give his yell. Miles knows that dunking is his signature, and the best way to get them is on the break. Randolph wants to score at EVERY opportunity, full court or half court.

Dale Davis, on the other hand, is almost never a factor in fast break situations.

Damon is much less of a liability when we're running up and down the court. He's a good fast break decisionmaker, as long as guys like Miles/Sheed/Zach/Patterson ensure that his best option is not to try a layup (which he blows all-too-often).

• Dale Davis was stagnating the offense. he's like Ben Wallace, without the offensive rebounding. a pass to him was like an admission that we need to reset the play.

When Dale doesn't know what to do, he destroys ball movement by just chucking it back to Damon to start us over and make a play.

With Miles in there, Damon becomes more of a play facilitator, not playmaker. He's not relied on as much to make something happen, but instead to react to what is ALREADY HAPPENING. Big diffference.

I still hate Damon and wouldn't be surprised if this was just a nice blip for an otherwise miserable player. But the addition of Miles has given me at least a little hope that we can salvage this season, even with the mouse at point.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The problem with resigning Miles is that he's a restricyed free agent. He'll entertain bids from all comers and we'll be left with matching the highest bidder. I find it hard to believe that some GM out there won't roll the dice on him and offer $7-9 million per year. Will we match that? I would think yes if we're losing Wallace and no if we're keeping Wallace.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
BP-

go up and read SCBF's post again. it's a fantastic analysis of why what you say won't happen.

if Miles gets a $9 mil offer this year, it'll be because he's had a phenominal, near-all-star level second half of the season. if that's the case, we'd be fools not to match it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yes, but he's not a phenom. He's a very athletic player that has a lot of rough edges after 4 years in the league.

It's an interesting debate if he's worth $9 million. I would think not, but as such would we resign him? Again, not if we're resigning Wallace for $9-12 million per year.

Anyway, just my opinion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
So, the only teams that the Blazers have to worry about maybe making a larger-than-MLE offer are POTENTIALLY the Clippers and the Spurs, and those two only if they make roster moves. For example, the Clippers would have to not make a qualifying offer to Quentin Richardson, Darius' best friend on the Clippers.
I remember that the Clippers offered the Cavs Odom for Miller, but the Cavs wanted Miles. I doubt that the Clippers are still as high on Miles now that Maggette is becoming a good player. But I wouldn't be suprised if the Clippers show some interest in Miles. Not for anymore than the MLE though. The more I think about it, the more I'm confident that we can re-sign Miles for no more than the MLE.

Great breakdowns!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
It's an interesting debate if he's worth $9 million. I would think not, but as such would we resign him?
I don't think it's worth a debate at all. Right now, there's no way Miles is worth that much. I can't see how he can improve enough by the end of the season to demand that much money, either.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>D-Up</b>!

I don't think it's worth a debate at all. Right now, there's no way Miles is worth that much. I can't see how he can improve enough by the end of the season to demand that much money, either.
I agree entirely. I think people are getting sucked in, again, by Miles' initial good play and everpresent "potential." (My theory as to why he always starts like gangbusters, is that since he's not up to speed yet with his new team, coaches just let him play "wild." As soon as he's put into a proper gameplan and supposed to play within the team concept, his numbers go steadily downhill.)

Sure, I'd like to see Miles back for, perhaps, MLE money to see what he can do long-term. But short of playing like Jordan the rest of the way, I don't think there's any way he's going to be worth anything near $9 million per year.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
It's an interesting debate if he's worth $9 million. I would think not, but as such would we resign him? Again, not if we're resigning Wallace for $9-12 million per year.
If Portland decides to resign and retain both Sheed and Darius, it won't be because of a lack of other options. If they choose to, likely it will be because of how well their talents meshed, the great 2nd half of the season, and how they helped Portland extend their playoff streak. Even if they choose to resign both at figures above what we are generally projecting here (somewhere around 15-18 mil combined), they'll still undoubtably have opprotunities to improve the club through the MLE and by trading Damon and Dale. With Stephon Marbury moving basically for expiring contracts, those two 10+ mil expiring deals have potencial galore IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing this play out.

STOMP

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
If I had to wish for some numbers for summer resigning, I would do something like this.

Wallace $7.5 mil
Miles $4 mil
Person $4 mil

Brent Barry $4.5 mil

I agree, Darius has to prove himself over, maybe his next 3 years to be able to get some good $.. He is still young so why not.. :whoknows:
Make him a 3 year contract with 2nd and 3rd years a team option. That way if he does nto pan out next year, we can still get him off the books for July 2005.

I very much like having Person as a Steve Kerr type of role... maybe even to school Darius and Woods in shooting. I would keep him just for that... 2nd for his 46% 3FG%... hopefully someday we will learn how to utulize him to his talent level for shooting.

Sheed... well... we shall see how it pans out.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
I guess I just doubt Portland will make that big a push to resign these guys if they don't flash some serious potencial. I doubt that they'll be keeping both of them at the figures you site because thats about where I project them to be if the Blazers fail to go on a run and make the playoffs again. I'm not nearly as sold on Wesley as some here. He's ok IMO... 4mil??? I like the Brent Barry idea much better, in fact I'd be for giving him the full MLE for 3-4 years.

If they close out the season winning, say 60-70% of their remaining games, I think it's reasonable to assume that the guys on it are pretty good together. Adding to the equation rather then going for a complete overhaul should probably be considered as a legitamate option. Everyone potencially staying would have years of playing ahead of them to grow/win with the new talent acquired in moving Damon and Dale and of course there are picks coming on board too.

I'm hoping for a big finish to this season... and starting to believe it will happen too. Lots of IFs but the potencial is there IMO.

STOMP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts