Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the trade for Chris Webber there were higher expectations, some were thinking we were better than we were, others came in from the outside supporting this team, and one didn't like the trade at all. We all know what role we were in, but instead of looking how this season is going. Let's look at the development of Dalembert since the trade.

Overall on the season he's averaging 7.5 PPG, 7.2 RPG, and 1.6 BPG, since the trade his stats are 9.7 PPG, 7.8 RPG, and 1.4 BPG in only about two minutes more a game (24.2 before, compared to 26.2 now). It's not an astronomical jump in stats like he had last year, but these changes are just as if not more convincing at least to me.

As of right now, you can tell he's more confident on the floor, and a lot of that might have to do with Webber telling Sammy to play his game. It's to the point where right now Dalembert's mid-range shot is falling more consistently than before, and he's playing his best defense of the year right now down the stretch. It's just too bad O'Brien doesn't realize that and work with Dalembert's obvious strengths on that end.

With he's playing right now, it's obvious that he's upping his dollars, it's just goes to wonder if he continues like this if the team will be able to benefit from it?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Well that's nice improvement along the season, but I had some high expectations for him this season so I still look at it as a failed season for Sammy. I was looking forward to a double double with at least two blocks and that didn't seem too lofty especially seeing how well he played last year in the last couple months.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kunlun said:
Well that's nice improvement along the season, but I had some high expectations for him this season so I still look at it as a failed season for Sammy. I was looking forward to a double double with at least two blocks and that didn't seem too lofty especially seeing how well he played last year in the last couple months.
Well, it's pretty difficult for anyone to average a double double in 24 minutes of playing time.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Well, it's pretty difficult for anyone to average a double double in 24 minutes of playing time.
...and average 2 blocks the way Obie runs his defense

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
I assumed he would be getting more playing time too. With around 32 minutes I think he's capable of doing that.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kunlun said:
I assumed he would be getting more playing time too. With around 32 minutes I think he's capable of doing that.
Seeing the improvement he's made in two more minutes of action since the trade, I think without a doubt he'd be averaging a double-double with 8 more minutes.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
True.

His game can only get stronger with a healthy Webber in the lineup.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the numbers for Dalembert's last two games..

Vs Pistons: 11 points (5-8 FGM-A, 1-2 FTM-A), 7 rebounds, 3 blocks.
Vs Raptors: 14 points (6-10 FGM-A, 2-3 FTM-A), 7 rebounds, 2 steals, block.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Here are the numbers for Dalembert's last two games..

Vs Pistons: 11 points (5-8 FGM-A, 1-2 FTM-A), 7 rebounds, 3 blocks.
Vs Raptors: 14 points (6-10 FGM-A, 2-3 FTM-A), 7 rebounds, 2 steals, block.
He has scored in double digits in 8 of his last 11 games

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As of last night's game Dalembert's number since the trade took place (which includes the Knick game) are:

10.1 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 1.6 BPG in 27.2 MPG.

That's solid improvement in three extra minutes per.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
As of last night's game Dalembert's number since the trade took place (which includes the Knick game) are:

10.1 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 1.6 BPG in 27.2 MPG.

That's solid improvement in three extra minutes per.
I look at those stats and they scream Obrien is an idiot

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BEEZ said:
Like sliccat alluded to, there are some games where Sammy's minutes have been cut short due to foul trouble in this span. I'm not a huge O'Brien fan, but I can learn how to become one if the team keeps winning.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
BEEZ said:
I totally agree. O'Brien doesn't put enough trust in Sammy, which is a big reason why his improvement doesn't show up as much on the stat sheet. As many of you might know, I am a big fan of Dalembert, and think he's got the potential to put up to 18 pts a night along with 10 rpg.

With added minutes, more focus on the offense, and a polished low post game (work in the off-season), he'll become a much more complete center.

Cheers for Dalembert, he's going to be one hell of a player given the right opportunity and with a system that will actually work with him and have him get his points off of designed plays rather then pure hustle, etc.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like Sammy, but 18 points a night is something I don't see him ever attaining. A lot of points he gets off of hustle because he doesn't have much of a go to move. His jumper is more consistent that it was before, and he has a baby hook that goes sometimes, but neither are good enough to feed him.

Also he struggles holding his position in the low post. He has room to grow, but he also has a ceiling at a certain point.

He played great in tonight's game, but defensively he had three goaltendings, he needs to stop relying as much on his athleticism when going to block shots, and rely more on technique.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
I am still of the opinion that he could easily be a 15 ppg player. Hes never been to the big man camp down in hawaii. The Sixers havent brought anyone in to teach him those nuances of playing in the post and I havent even gotten to the fact of Obrien not putting Dalembert consistently in position to succeed

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BEEZ said:
I am still of the opinion that he could easily be a 15 ppg player. Hes never been to the big man camp down in hawaii. The Sixers havent brought anyone in to teach him those nuances of playing in the post and I havent even gotten to the fact of Obrien not putting Dalembert consistently in position to succeed
From everything I've read, last season Alex English was the main reason Dalembert improved so much last year (aside from the added minutes when Ford took over).

I really think the NBA should have their own big man camp, because a lot of people like Dalembert would benefit by learning how to play the game, instead of relying on pure athleticism.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dalembert came back with an 18 and 15 game last night after a horrible game Vs Dallas where he was in foul trouble throughout. The one thing about Dalembert is that it looks like he regressed a little bit offensively, not too long ago he was hitting that midrange jumper showed signs of ability with his back to the basket but now it's like he can't do anything with the ball in his hands outside of putbacks and alley-oop dunks.

For a while he squared up perfectly and the shot went down, and now he's floating to his left. I mean Allen Iverson is the only player I know of that can consistently nail jumpers floating to the left, so hopefully Sammy fixes his technique.

·
Registered
296 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
I like Sammy, but 18 points a night is something I don't see him ever attaining. A lot of points he gets off of hustle because he doesn't have much of a go to move. His jumper is more consistent that it was before, and he has a baby hook that goes sometimes, but neither are good enough to feed him.

Also he struggles holding his position in the low post. He has room to grow, but he also has a ceiling at a certain point.

He played great in tonight's game, but defensively he had three goaltendings, he needs to stop relying as much on his athleticism when going to block shots, and rely more on technique.
Good analysis PP

1 - 20 of 34 Posts