Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends are saying that the West sucked back in the day, therefore Run-TMC was irrelevant. I counter with that trio is the 2nd-highest scoring bunch ever (aside from Kiki's Nuggets), and that they racked up just as many regular season wins anyways..

Your thoughts? Is Dallas now (and last year) better than Timmy Mitch and Chris ever were?

·
Registered
127 Posts
1990-91 44 - 38 .537 4 (19 GB)
1989-90 37 - 45 .451 5 (26 GB)

I would say Dallas won much more game in the strongest west ever, so i would prefer Dallas, but i must admit that i did not watch NBA-games in 1991 :(

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>chapi</b>!
mullin>nowitzki
richmond>>>finley
timmy>>>>Nash
You really can't compare 04 mavs to Run TMC because the 04 Mavs have two more stars than Run TMC. Now the 03 Mavs would be a closer comparison. So Run-TMC vs. 03 Mavs is what I'm evaluating.

Dirk is by far a more complete offensive player than Mullin was. I think Dirk is more athletic and runs the floor better along with better rebounding skills. Finley isn't as good a shooter but was more explosive and athletic than Mitch. Fin is also more of a complete player than Mitch. Timmy was better than Nash tho.

So

Dirk > Mullin
Fin > Mitch Rich
Nash < Timmy

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>stevemc</b>!

You really can't compare 04 mavs to Run TMC because the 04 Mavs have two more stars than Run TMC. Now the 03 Mavs would be a closer comparison. So Run-TMC vs. 03 Mavs is what I'm evaluating.

Dirk is by far a more complete offensive player than Mullin was. I think Dirk is more athletic and runs the floor better along with better rebounding skills. Finley isn't as good a shooter but was more explosive and athletic than Mitch. Fin is also more of a complete player than Mitch. Timmy was better than Nash tho.

So

Dirk > Mullin
Fin > Mitch Rich
Nash < Timmy
Although the Warriors had a much better backcourt (with Teagle, Garland, Marciulionis, Elie, Higgins), their frontcourt simply stunk (Tolbert at PF? Lister at C? Aaaargh!)
Even the thin Dallas frontcourt (Dirk, Bradley, Fortson) are way better than those Warriors.

The Run T-M-C Warriors could eventually pull an upset (like they did when defeating the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs playing small ball against a Cummings-D-Rob frontcourt), but the odds would be strongly against them if they played today´s Dallas.

As for comparing the "Big Threes":

Mullin was a better scorer than Dirk, IMO (in his peak years scoring over 24+ppg and way over .500FG%), but Dirk gets the upper hand in rebounding, 3point shooting and low-post scoring.
EDGE: Dirk.

Timmy kicks Nash´s *** in a big way: TimBug was plainly unstopabble in his early years. I believe someone said never since Oscar had a PG get the kind of stats Hardaway achieved in his first 3 years. Lighting quick moves, clutch player, excellent scorer and distributer, tremendous heart and leadership.
EDGE: Timmy.

Finley vs. The Rock is a tough one, but Finley´s a more versatile player and stronger defender, although both excelled at the offensive end.
EDGE: Finley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts