Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>

Dallas Mavericks (45-23) vs Cleveland Cavaliers (35-31)

Starting Lineups:

vs.

<center>

Key Reserves

Daniels | Van Horn | Armstrong | Henderson

Varejo | Traylor | Pavlovic | Snow

Key Matchup:

vs

</center>

Season Series
0-0

Theo's keys to victory

- Containing LeBron: LeBron James is a physical freak and we can't have him go off on us, last match Peja went off on us and it proved to be deadly. He's only a sophmore but I'm putting big amount of responisiblity onto Josh's back, he had a poor effort (offensively and defensively) and we lost? Coincidence?

- Frontcourt defense: They may not be big names, but Drew Gooden and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are a great combination in the front court. Both can step out for the jumpshot (especially Z), so our front courters (Dirk, Bradley, Hendu, Pavel :banana: ) need to contain them. I'm worried about how Bradley will defend Z, and will we possibly see Pavel sticking up his long arms to get in the way?

- Backcourt domination: Despite being benched for most of the 4th quarter yesterday, I still think Jason Terry will have a big game. Eric Snow is good defensively, but he has really slowed down this year -- lost a touch for defense possibly? Even though he is called King James, LeBron still struggles with man on defense. He gambles for steals to much thus leaving his man with possibly an open run to the basket

- Good Shots: At the end of the first quarter against Sacramento, we were shooting a staggering 33% (8-24). I had said it before, but the good teams won't let us get back into the match. That said, we shouldn't need to be trying to get back into the match. We need to come out of the locker room with a fire under our *** and play with a high intensity for the first 12 minutes, and the next 36 aswell (can't forget about them)

250 points to the prediction winner

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wish Damp would make a Willis Reed effort to get back for this one, as Z could really put some hurt on us as there is no one who could handle him after seeing what unfloded against the Kings. JHo will really have his hands tied for this one, he can't afford to not pressure LeBron here, he could explode too, there are no ifs or buts, he has to do a better job of guarding him than he did vs Peja. The way I see procedings, is for someone other than Dirk to step up for this one. KVH has been playing well but its not enough, some needs to get going. It would be great to see Fin find some fire in his belly and start reigning down some shots.

This is a really hard one to pick, but the Mavs will be keen for the win after the disappointing loss to the Kings, so they will win 103-101.

·
Jeepers
6,391 Posts
I want to see the Mavs forcing other teams to react to what they want to do, both offensively and defensively. With AJ coaching, we should be forming an identity on defense. Help JHo with Lebron, close on the outside shooters, and muscle up on Big Z, and the Mavs win 98-87.
:clap:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The Mavs should win this one. Hopefully they dont have trouble getting to 100 points.
Dirk should take advantage of Gooden.

111-101 Mavs.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is a game I've been waiting to see. I want to see J-Ho go up against LeBron and shut him down. J-Ho has always done well against teams top shooters, I expect the same tonight. Mavs should take this one without too much trouble.

Mavs - 107

Cavs - 95

·
Jeepers
6,391 Posts
Mavs41 said:
This is a game I've been waiting to see. I want to see J-Ho go up against LeBron and shut him down. J-Ho has always done well against teams top shooters, I expect the same tonight. Mavs should take this one without too much trouble.

Mavs - 107

Cavs - 95
If I have been watching the right games, J-Ho has been left out on the wing. The Mavs are making a big assumption that a good defender can do it alone. J-Ho is not Jordan. He's not Pippen. Where's the help defense ?

:whoknows:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mavs win 104-92.
King James has a huge night but so does Dirk
:banana:

·
Registered
391 Posts
NBA.com-
DALLAS (Ticker) -- The struggling Cleveland Cavaliers will have a tough time ending their road woes when they visit the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday.

Tied with the Chicago Bulls for the fifth seed in the Eastern Conference, the Cavaliers are not playing like a team fighting for playoff positioning, having lost their last 10 road contests and four of their last five overall.

To make matters worse, Cleveland has lost to Dallas seven consecutive times, including its last four trips here. This will be the first meeting between the clubs this season.

After winning his first game as interim coach, Brendan Malone was handed his first loss when Cleveland fell at Houston, 99-80, on Thursday. LeBron James struggled from the floor, making just 7-of-22 shots and finishing with 19 points after averaging 34 in his previous six games.

Drew Gooden scored 20 and Zydrunas Ilgauskas added 16 for the Cavaliers.

Dallas had a four-game winning streak stopped in a 109-101 loss at Sacramento on Thursday, dropping Avery Johnson to 3-1 since taking over for Don Nelson on a permanent basis last week.

Dirk Nowitzki collected 35 points, eight rebounds and five assists while Devin Harris and Keith Van Horn each added 16 points off the bench.
I still beleive that this will be a testig game for the Mavs and will have to pull their socks up from the game at Sacremento to win.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I think the key for us is limiting the production from the other players around Lebron. When Lebron got 56, he only had one teammate doing anything with him. Lebron likely isn't going for 55, but if Dirk can hold Gooden, it'll be just him and Z on offense. I like our chances there.

We win 102-97.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Terrific game thread, One thing i think that could be added is theo!'s vBookie pick, maybe that would stop people losing thier points (well maybe just me :biggrin:)

I think the Mavs win bug this game, lebron and Z will get 20+ each and KVH and Dirk will go destroy them dropping 25+ each (hopefully)
prediction
114-102

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Its been a great game so far. Howard scoring but getting into foul trouble. Finley is hitting 3s. I say the mavs will definately win. Dirk will probably get on fire soon.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are just defending better than them, shooting the same percentage but shot more (and made more)

Michael Finley is 4-4 from 3pt land, en route to 14 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists aswell. Hopefully he stays like this for the rest of the season, and these past games have been a slump

Jason Terry has 4 assists, and we have assisted buckets on 9 out of our 16 makes. We are defending Cleveland's PG well, they have 3 assists on 11 made shots..

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
soulhunter said:
Terrific game thread, One thing i think that could be added is theo!'s vBookie pick, maybe that would stop people losing thier points (well maybe just me :biggrin:)
Good idea, I'll try to incorporate it..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Fin is having a decent game, he has 14 points and he just hit another 3!!!!. He is 6-8 total and 5-5 from 3pt range, holy ****!!! I thought he might get hot tonight, someone call the firebrigade!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Z already has 5 blocks and its not even half time!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts