Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this guy lit us up last night. I think that, should we choose to rebuild this team and not make a move for a all star SG, we should try and sign this dude. Only about 25 or 25 years old, could be had for under the MLE and has a nice stroke.

Draft Gerald Green at #5, sign Wilkins to start at SG for a while until Green matures and then use Damien as a cheap backup.

No way will Seattle be able to re-sign him. Not with Ray Allen demanding so much $. I could be wrong, maby he is a scrub that is having a few good games. But, consitering how cheap I think he would be, Wilkins may be a good option. Ever since he got playing time, he has averaged 11.8 points in 22.8 minutes the last 6 games.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
ThatBlazerGuy said:
Ok, so this guy lit us up last night. I think that, should we choose to rebuild this team and not make a move for a all star SG, we should try and sign this dude. Only about 25 or 25 years old, could be had for under the MLE and has a nice stroke.

Draft Gerald Green at #5, sign Wilkins to start at SG for a while until Green matures and then use Damien as a cheap backup.

No way will Seattle be able to re-sign him. Not with Ray Allen demanding so much $. I could be wrong, maby he is a scrub that is having a few good games. But, consitering how cheap I think he would be, Wilkins may be a good option. Ever since he got playing time, he has averaged 11.8 points in 22.8 minutes the last 6 games.

let's not try to go for a player who's had a few good games, because he looks good against the Blazers. We don't need to go that route. It's the same blind optimism that people had for getting Flip Murray last year.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I'd rather have Marko Jaric

A guy who can play some PG (and push teflair), but has the size to play SG, and can shoot from the perimeter pretty well. Gve him the MLE not Wilkins. Once Lewis comes back, Wilkins will go right back to where he was before...the bench.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Jaric has been injured throughout his career, what makes you think that it would change if he came to Portland?.....

I like Jaric's game but i would be tentative to try and sign him, because I'm afraid that he would be a liability healthwise....

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
It's the same blind optimism that people had for getting Flip Murray last year.
Big difference is Wilkins seems to really hustle, which always makes for at least a solid contributor even if the offense was a flash in the pan.

Dan

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Frahm hustles but is usually a step behind the play. Wilkins seems to be more of a Ruben Patterson type, initiating a lot of the mayhem and being there to clean up.

Dan

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Yeah Jaric has had some injury issues, but what type of player are you expecting at the MLE? He isn't THE answer but would be a piece of the puzzle IMO. He is a better player than Damien Wilkins is IMO.....

Jaric has good size, is versatile enough to play SG or PG, and can shoot. Sounds like a good guy to add to the developing mix of Telfair, Monia (we hope), and Outlaw? and 1st rounder? (Green?).

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I'm actually surprised Wilkins is still in the league, judging from his college career. At UGA, he was only the #3 option after Jarvis Hayes and Rashad Wright. I didn't even think he was very good.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Seattle signed him as a rookie free agent, so it's a matter of finally making it into the league, rather than still being in the league.

Of course, the bulk of his career bests are against Portland, so we might have an over-inflated view of his abilities from those couple games...

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts