Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glenn Robinson is finally out of George Karl's doghouse. In fact, Big Dog is out of Milwaukee after the Bucks traded Robinson to Atlanta for Toni Kukoc, Leon Smith and one of the Hawks' first-round picks next season. Robinson and Karl did not see eye to eye, especially last season when the Bucks failed to make the playoffs.

ATlanta got a steal in this trade IMO.. Kukoc is a good player but not BIG DOG... even if big dog does have attitude problems

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Weird, weird, weird, weird deal for Milwaukee. I'm going to assume that Kukoc is an expiring contract, and that the lottery pick is completely unprotected, but there had to have been something better out there for Milwaukee, even after Robinson's arrest.

Listen to the bell, Tim Thomas, it tolls for thee.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
It's on Real GM and ESPN. Wow, there is some offensive firepower on the Hawks. However, where is the defense? Yikes, I can envision a lot of 125-120 games down in Atlanta. They better pray Theo Ratliff is healthy, he will be a busy man this year.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Buck bucks

Hawk salaries

02/03:
Little Poodle(3 yrs): $9,860,000
Toni Toni Toni(2 yrs):$8,822,182

Buck savings: $1,037,818 less whatever Smith makes which I don't know.

Milwaukee: Addition by subtraction?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Bucks must want to give their big investment (Tim Thomas) playing time. They did get a good reserve in Kukoc, and a lottery pick, unless Atlanta does really well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What a bizarre, terrible deal for the Bucks.

Picture Toni on the team bus between a yappy Cassell and brooding Mason. Now remember that Toni's production depends so much on his mental state and having the ball in his hands. We may see an awful lot of Toni with that beaten-dog slouch on the bench. I feel bad for the guy - this may be worse for him than Philly was.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't see it as a dumb trade seeing as how TT gets his salary in the game...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Wow, the Bucks must have really wanted to dump Robinson. A really surprising deal. Does anyone know if this gets the Bucks under the luxury tax? If it does, then I suppose the trade makes some sense.

If this turns out anything like the J.R. Rider fiasco, it could cost Pete Babcock his job. So, I imagine he's sort of putting his neck on the line too. I guess he was serious about his guarantee for the playoffs this year. This deal is so strange, I really don't know what to make of it yet. I guess the Bucks finally had enough of all the Big Dog's antics, and just wanted to get rid of him at all costs. Value wise, they obviously got ripped off, but Tim Thomas seems to be a better fit for the way George Karl wants to play, and a player like Toni would prefer coming off the bench, so it could really help the team in terms of chemistry, but more than anything, this is just a strange, strange deal. I'm really not sure what to say.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You mean that tell me that if we had waited we could have had Big Dog instead of Jamal Crawford?

;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
No way that even gets though of by Krause, he doesn't like players with an attitude which Big Dog has. Also we need somebody that can play defense and Big Dog doesn't even come close to playing defense.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I grew up in NW Indiana, and Big Dog was an idiot in high school. Then he went to Purdue and was an idiot there. Then, he went to Milwaukee and was an idiot there.... I see a trend.

That being said, I don't see how this trade improves the Bucks. If Tim Thomas was truly better than Big Dog, he would have taken his job.

The Hawks, on the other hand, are quite a bit better on paper. If Terry can get everyone the ball, they'll score a ton.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
tim thomas will breakout this year, he will be dropping 18ppg 6rpg and 1.5bpg just watch

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tim Thomas will average more like 15 ppg, 6rpg, and 1 bpg, but yes he will kind of break out this year.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Leon Smith? I didn't know he was still under contract... didn't he sign a "rest-of-year" contract last year? Was he a sign-and-trade? Does anyone remember that they didn't like him too much in Atlanta as of late because he's been flaking out on a lot of stuff?

Too bad he's incredibly talented and can be quite a force by himself. He's more than just filler. Maybe HE'LL be what we remember after Kukoc gets injury waived a la planar facilitis and Robinson continues to be the exact same player he's been for his entire life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder if the Bucks are now after Rashard Lewis

1 - 20 of 57 Posts