Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

By signing Gill, does that mean that Damon is on his way out of Portland?

• YES

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • NO

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 21.4%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get the logic behind signing Eddie Gill with the display that Omar Cook produced last night. Is Gill that much better than Cook and if he is why wasn't he signed to a 10 day contract instead of Cook? Something is fishy here, what is about to go down before the trade deadline?

Could it be that Cheeks wants three point guards or is Damon Stoudamire on his way out? If Nash trades Damon he should be GM of the year for moving his contract. That would also move up our free agent window a year, providing that Portland didn't get junk contracts back.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I'm not really sure, but I can't imagine that Damon was going to be traded. It would be too good to be true. So I voted "no".

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
I'm not really sure, but I can't imagine that Damon was going to be traded. It would be too good to be true. So I voted "no".

Ed O.
I hear ya, but if Nash does pull that off I expect you to take your socks off Ed! :D

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

Ed O.
Might just be an audition for next season's back up role. Put these two guys in competition for the rest of the season and see who consistantly outplays the other.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!

Might just be an audition for next season's back up role. Put these two guys in competition for the rest of the season and see who consistantly outplays the other.
I think that sounds right, but why not sign each to a rest of the year deal at that point?

Really odd.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Lessee...

1. The Blazers just signed Cook to a 10-day contract on Tuesday.

2. They're signing Gill to a full year contract today.

3. Why add Gill at all if they like what they see in Cook (and all indications are exactly that) when doing so is just gonna make Damon wig out?

4. Why sign Gill to a full year contract if they like what they see in Cook? Why not sign Cook to a full year contract and Gill to a 10-day contract until he proves himself?

5. I guess there have been some rumors about Damon to the Warriors instead of Sheed (although I haven't seen them).

6. Sheed was angry at something last night, and I don't think it was just the refs. Think he found out that Damon's on the way out?

Can't say for sure, but the signing of 2 point-guards in 2 days certainly makes it look that way. I'm guessing we'll know the truth in 8 days (when Cook's contract is scheduled to expire), but probably even less (because of how rapidly they brought in both Cook and Gill).

PBF

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!

I think that sounds right, but why not sign each to a rest of the year deal at that point?

Really odd.
Hmmm.

Well, I suppose there's a slight risk that one (or both) will break their leg in the next 10 days. So maybe it's just insurance against that (unlikely) scenario?

Or maybe we only want one and it's just a 10 day head to head tryout for both?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Let's not overthink it, folks. Natterpeeks clearly is just positioning us for the vaunted 4-PG lineup with a point-forward at the 5 spot.

Too bad we gave up Jeff or we'd be good to go.

Dan

·
Registered
670 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ProudBFan</b>!

2. They're signing Gill to a full year contract today.

PBF
It states on Blazers.com that they signed Gill to a multi-year contract. Why would they sign him for more than one year...something's got to be up, right???

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!

Or maybe we only want one and it's just a 10 day head to head tryout for both?
One flaw there though...Gill signed a multi year deal, meaning if they cut him, they still have to pay him. Which means regardless Cook is the Odd man out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
IF DAMON get traded i will dance a jig...:laugh:

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Boy this is all a big stretch of the imagination here...

Damon traded.... :rofl:...

I will do a little sidestep, do a little dance... :banana:

In my limited mind, if there is a GS rumor to it.. then NVE for Damon straight up...

problem being, if NVE does retire, we owe him for three years not the 1 if he just opted out... :confused:

or add other players to it...

Damon and Davis and Q for NVE and Dampier????

NVE and Erick have 3 years potentially on the books. Yes, they can opt out this year.

Damon and Dale only have 2.. expediating GS salary dump still...
providing NVE and erick do not opt out this year. $ may keep them the full 3 years... meaning GS still saves $ by a whole year.

if NVE and Dampier decide to then opt out from Portland.. Portland gets a year ahead on Dale and Damon's salary off the books... :whoknows:

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!

One flaw there though...Gill signed a multi year deal, meaning if they cut him, they still have to pay him. Which means regardless Cook is the Odd man out.
Gotcha. I hadn't heard that part...

This is very strange.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
How about this.

Some other team/teams were interested in Gill. He was the guy we wanted all along, but we weren't positive we could get him. So we signed Cook just in case things fell through with Gill and he signed elsewhere with another team. But we were able to work things out with Gill and we signed him.

That would explain the Cook 10 day contract and the Gill multi-year deal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
if NVE does retire, we owe him for three years not the 1 if he just opted out...
I would think if a player retires..he forfiets(?) any $$$ he was going to get on a contract..stupid to pay a player who is not playing and not in a buy out too

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
we aren't trading Damon.

why on earth would we pick up Gill now if that were the case? why not wait until after the Damon deal is consumated? it's not like teams are lining up all over the place to get on the "Eddie Gill Freight Train".

if we picked up Gill for the soul reason of dumping Damon, we are exposing ourselves to the possibility that the deal falls through and we have some guy who is redundant.

nope, the reason we added Gill is simple. we're gambling that between Cook and Gill we've got one guy who is the next Gilbert Arenas/Jeff McInnis not-drafted-in-the-first-round wunderkind point guard.

both guys averaged over 8 assists per game in the CBA, so it's not a bad bet.

as for the "multiyear" deal for Gill, it is weird. I guess they figure that if they got him on the minimum for two years, it's not really that big of a deal. he's easily a throw-in on whatever deal we work out next year if needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.