Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just kidding. the quote was actually from Telfair.

man, it's refreshing to have a point guard who is willing to point the finger at himself.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
theWanker said:
just kidding. the quote was actually from Telfair.

man, it's refreshing to have a point guard who is willing to point the finger at himself.
Damon is constantly pointing the finger at himself....."Bringing in this guy will help me to get better looks at the basket"...."I wnat the ball in my hands"...."I llook to score"

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
"I'm a superstar level player you know, I just need the right trainers you know to help me grow a little you know and you know help me blossom you know"

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Would you guys lay off Damon for two seconds? It's mind-numbingly annoying to hear everyone ***** about the only veteran on our team who consistently plays his heart out on a nightly basis.

Considering that Damon is being asked to play the shooting guard position most of the time, I welcome the fact that he's looking to score.

Yet, you guys find a way to demonize the guy. LAME.

Oh, and by the way, Damon had the game high for either team in assists last night. But, you know, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

-Pop

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Would you guys lay off Damon for two seconds? It's mind-numbingly annoying to hear everyone ***** about the only veteran on our team who consistently plays his heart out on a nightly basis.

Considering that Damon is being asked to play the shooting guard position most of the time, I welcome the fact that he's looking to score.

Yet, you guys find a way to demonize the guy. LAME.

Oh, and by the way, Damon had the game high for either team in assists last night. But, you know, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

-Pop
I too, get tired of the damon bashing..but I too get tired of the Damon praisers.

still miffed that the game without Damon turned into a win, eh? ;)

seriously tho, it does get old to hear the same crap over and over about Damon. Yah, he's short. Yah, he shoots (sometimes) too much. But the guy isn't the reason the team is bad. It's just easier to blame him. Partly because he IS a vet, and he doesn't seem to have the "leadership" qualities. That and he was held up to an unrealistic standard BECAUSE he was a local kid. I can't recall how many times he was unfairly compared to Terrell "I'm next on the Saints list" Branden. Thats a little unfair.

but he's also making big bucks, so suck it up.

btw, why is it ok for you (and others) to criticize the management and the coach at the drop of a hat..but not Damon?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Damon isn't the be all, end all problem with this team.

I would hasten to even say he doesn't shoot too much.

His problem is that his shot selection is rather poor and he goes through stretches where he won't get anyone involved. (it's normally after he hits a 3)

He's hardly the worst problem player on this team. Heck, he wasn't even the worst problem in our starting lineup at the beginning of the year. I'd say Randolph and DA are bigger issues than Damon.

Play.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hap said:
btw, why is it ok for you (and others) to criticize the management and the coach at the drop of a hat..but not Damon?
What part of "Do as I say don't do as I do" don't you understand?

:wink:

Well, I suppose I'm of the opinion that criticism of the coach was well-founded and criticism of Damon is not. Cheeks failed miserably in some very fundamental areas of coaching. Damon, on the other hand, has played unbelievably well despite being asked to play out of position. And he's been a good soldier through a time that cannot be easy for the players. And he gives more time and energy to the community than any of the other players on the team. And he practices harder than anyone on the team. And he goes out two hours before every game and practices his jumpshot and his free throws. How many veterans with guaranteed contracts can you say that about? Not too many.

Just my two cents, I suppose. And I'm just venting because I feel like Damon's a lightning rod on this team when there are so many other likely candidates for the problems this team has. Like Z-Bo, and Derek, and Nick, and Darius, etc. Hell, even John Nash. But criticizing Damon feels a little like criticizing the guy on the Titanic who's busting his *** to save the ship.

-Pop

·
Registered
330 Posts
Damon wasn't a problem at the beginning of the year? ha, when he was in a giant slump and playing the worst basketball of his career.

November - 11.3ppg, 6.4 ast, 3.9reb, 34%FG, 28%3 FG

December - 9.5ppg, 4.8ast, 3.0reb, 36%FG, 35%3FG

Damon was a bigger problem at the beginning of the year because of how poorly he played. And also Cheek's for sticking with him playing so bad for so long. And finally when Cheeks decieded to bench him, that's when Damon stepped up his game, like he should have. I give him respect for being a professional and working hard to earn his spot back. I would say Damon was our worst problem at the beginning of the year because of the bad slump he was in.

·
Registered
463 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Just my two cents, I suppose. And I'm just venting because I feel like Damon's a lightning rod on this team when there are so many other likely candidates for the problems this team has.
You know how some people use talking sticks in groups to show who has the right to talk....Well the Blazers have a lightening rod to pass around to take the heat for the team. They pass it off to the next person after every game. Unless a player/coach deems they have more to say and want to hold that lightening rod longer.

We've zapped Cheeks for coaching
We've blasted Z-bo for being selfish
We've zotted Darius for being uncoachable
We've attacked Damon for being too (insert thing you don't want from a PG here)

....The list goes on and on.

Steve Patterson
Veterans who quit on the team
Management as a whole
The dance team
The hot dog vender guy
Rookies for being rookies

ok the hot dog guy is not to blame....

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Criticizing Damon isn't a fad. It's been a legitimate form of expression for years now.

If people were criticizing his effort, I wouldn't think it was justified (at least not lately; he's certainly had his stretches of moping before).

As it stands, people are sick and tired of him because he's a guy who shoots a lot, plays no defense, and is taking away minutes from younger players who are more interesting to watch and have a future with the team.

I'm happy that Nick shut it down. He would have just got in the way of Telfair and Outlaw and (to a lesser extent) Khryapa getting playing time. I don't begrudge Damon for continuing to play, but from a "what's best for the team?" perspective I think we'd be better off in the long run and certainly no worse off in the short run (maybe even better off) if he just sat down the rest of the year.

Ed O.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Problem is is that Damon has set the tone for offense on this team for years. I too think he's probably a pretty good guy if not terribly smart but his understanding and thoughts on how the game's supposed to be played are severely lacking.

Once Damon goes and is completely off the team we will see a decided different style. Notice I'm not saying the team will be more successful but the pace, movement and tempo will be substantially different.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually started this thread more as a way to highlight one of the nicer aspects of Telfair than to harp on a consistent weakness of Damon over his entire career (his inability to point the finger at himself for a loss).

but if Soda says we aren't allowed to criticize the guy on our team who gets the most minutes, takes the most shots, handles the ball the most and plays the worst defense, then gosh, I guess we shouldn't. there are, after all, four other starters. we'll all just pretend he's not the highest paid guard in the NBA as he helps us circle the drain.

nope, I won't say any of that. the last thing I'd ever want to do is annoy someone.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Ironically Damon in his best years has been on reaaly bad NBA teams....And his worst years are on succsesful NBA teams....Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
theWanker said:
I actually started this thread more as a way to highlight one of the nicer aspects of Telfair than to harp on a consistent weakness of Damon over his entire career (his inability to point the finger at himself for a loss).

but if Soda says we aren't allowed to criticize the guy on our team who gets the most minutes, takes the most shots, handles the ball the most and plays the worst defense, then gosh, I guess we shouldn't. there are, after all, four other starters. we'll all just pretend he's not the highest paid guard in the NBA as he helps us circle the drain.

nope, I won't say any of that. the last thing I'd ever want to do is annoy someone.

I think it's Joel Przybilla's time to suffer. Man, that guy does absolutely nothing for us. He can't keep up with some of the quicker guards in the game, God forbid that he actually make a shot from 20 feet out, he has absolutely no outside touch from three point range and he doesn't shoot enough... man, I can't wait 'til we ship his lazy butt outta here.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Sheed30 said:
Damon wasn't a problem at the beginning of the year? ha, when he was in a giant slump and playing the worst basketball of his career.
It's called a slump.

But, blaming the franchise on him completely ... over and over ... is ridiculous.

Also, statistics don't always tell a whole story.

Play.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
It's called a slump.
Well, a slump for Damon is saying something.

But, blaming the franchise on him completely ... over and over ... is ridiculous.
Are people REALLY blaming everything on him? Maybe I've seen it so much that I'm oblivious to it, but he gets criticized for his lack of playmaking and his lack of defense and his salary and his attitude and other things, but if he hadn't been in Portland the team wouldn't have beaten the Lakers all those times and it would be in much the same state it's in now.

Also, statistics don't always tell a whole story.
That's true. We've seen him stink for the better part of a decade, and we don't need statistics to prove it to us. :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey, I don't want anyone to think that because I'm criticizing Damon I have some delusion that we'd have a vastly superior record without him. I don't view him as the source for all the Blazers' woes. in fact, we'd probably have about 5 more losses WITHOUT him on the team (although given our lottery standing, I'd gladly take those losses now and move up a few slots.)

I'm just really, really tired of him.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Damon plays hard... it's just that he seems to play for himself and not the team. Anyone shooting less than 40%... good lord... is shooting too much. I am OK with Damon taking a 3... but anything else and he better be dishing it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts