Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys tell me why you hate Damon so much? I don't get it. He's a good offensive player, a defensive liabilty (but so is Z bo), a clutch shooter, gritty. He's trying to turn his personal life around. Big deal he gets stoned. Who hasn't? Getting caught proves that he's stupid, and that IS a problem. But generally, he seems like a nice guy, he talks honestly to the press, he plays hard, and he listens to the coach. Where's the beef?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
He's undersized and doesn't bring enough intensity a la Earl Boykins, at least for a starter. He tends to dribble too much before setting up the offense, often leading to bad shots. The list goes on and I'm sure you'll hear it from others. However, I do have to admit that he's been playing a little better this year and I appreciate the work he's been putting forth. Although I would rather see someone else at PG.

PS - I've never smoked weed and I don't think it's OK even if you don't get caught, especially if you're a public figure.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Stevenson</b>!
Can you guys tell me why you hate Damon so much? I don't get it. He's a good offensive player, a defensive liabilty (but so is Z bo), a clutch shooter, gritty. He's trying to turn his personal life around. Big deal he gets stoned. Who hasn't? Getting caught proves that he's stupid, and that IS a problem. But generally, he seems like a nice guy, he talks honestly to the press, he plays hard, and he listens to the coach. Where's the beef?
I heard he got busted with a pound. What does he need a pound of weed for? Getting stoned occasionally is a bit different than having a pound of pot.
I kinda like damon though. He was roy in toronto. I think people just don't like having a 5'10 starting PG cause it makes their team look bad.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
he's a bringer of chaos offensively and defensively.

he's actually pretty good in the open court. he can push the ball and dish pretty well. that's about it.

his inability to make a layup or shoot over 41% are well documented. I won't even bother revisiting it. let's look at why his 5.9 assists per game are quite possibly the worst 5.9 assists in basketball.

when he's in the game, he has the ball for at least 10 seconds of every half court play. the team doesn't cut, doesn't pass the ball, doesn't improvise. the team waits for Damon to decide how we should run the play.

if the team doesn't meet Damon's expectations, he will dribble down the clock and then hoist something ugly or dump it in the hands of somebody else who has to hoist something ugly.

if somebody doesn't know what to do in the half court (especially Dale), they throw it to Damon and wait for him to do something. there's rarely an attempt at an independent creative thought.

we complain that Zach is poor at passing out of the post, but watch the games. the only guy he usually passes it to is Damon, because the rest of them are standing around wondering what Damon will decide for the team to do next.

Damon, with his hummingbird perimeter play, doesn't challenge the rest of the team to create plays for themselves.

the team behaves much better with McInnis running the show. that leaves Damon to run around, coming off picks, making him a designated shooter. unfortunately, only the Sixers in recent years have had any success with a designated shooter who rarely cracks 41%. it also means we are running plays for Damon instead of Zach and Sheed.

and offense is his strength.

now let's look at his defense. I've seen him getting beat off the dribble by Lebron repeatedly. James is great--but a guy who is a full FOOT taller than you should NEVER beat you off the dribble while standing behind the three point line. EVER.

he simply cannot guard a single NBA player that I can think of in the post. maybe Earl Boykins, but I've never seen Boykins in post him up. (he really ought to at some point. it'd be highlight material.)

any time any team in the NBA can't think of a way to score, they can always run a play to isolate Damon. if you can work it out so Zach has to come over to help, you stand about a 75% chance of scoring. (unless, of course, you're Dirk Nowitzki. which was just weird.) Zach has no skill whatsoever at recovering from helping on a post doubleteam, so one play can exploit our two biggest defensive disasters in one fell swoop.

he might very well be the worst defensive guard in the NBA.

let me see if I got everything:
lousy at layups -CHECK
lousy FG% -CHECK
ruins offensive flow -CHECK
horrible at keeping even slower PG's in front of him -CHECK
horrible at defending post players -CHECK
poor defense results in chaos for rest of -CHECK

well guys, did I miss anything?

oh yeah-check out the stats on www.82games.com:

http://www.82games.com/0304POR.HTM

he has by far the lowest +/- ratio of any regular player on our team.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Its just not his size that makes him not liked

Its the fact that he looks for his shot first then trys to get team involved which like the others said leads to 10 sec dribbling beyone the 3 point line. Which leads to quick ugly low percantage shots.

Also the fact he is very turn over prone he has a habit of throwing it to the other team and or throwing it out of bounds.

The guy has to go but only it seems NY is interested which wont happen.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Since this thread is turning into a Damon-complaint thread, let me add this question: is there a worse starting guard in the NBA? I'm not asking that in a loaded way... I just can't think of any. He plays off the ball offensively (meaning he doesn't initiate the offense from the PG spot) and he shoots 40% from the field.

Defensively, he has to guard the smallest/weakest guard in the game and even that he stinks at.

This team would be significantly better if we were able to bring Damon off the bench to back up McInnis and actually have a decent 2 guard in the lineup... whether that's DA, Person or Qyntel.

Ed O.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
This team would be significantly better if we were able to bring Damon off the bench to back up McInnis and actually have a decent 2 guard in the lineup... whether that's DA, Person or Qyntel.

Ed O.
Yep.

I don't think there's a Blazer player that I've felt so one-sided-or-the-other over.

Well, perhaps Uncle Cliffy. ;)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts

Ed O.
This brings up the only reason I can think of for answering yes to your question, although I can't think of every starting PG off the top of my head. Is Damon our PG or SG? Second set of questions, if Damon is really our SG, is he the worst SG and is McInnis the worst PG?

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Since this thread is turning into a Damon-complaint thread, let me add this question: is there a worse starting guard in the NBA? I'm not asking that in a loaded way... I just can't think of any. He plays off the ball offensively (meaning he doesn't initiate the offense from the PG spot) and he shoots 40% from the field.

Ed O.
Hmm...Travis Hansen started a few games for the Hawks, does he count ? :D maybe Tyronn Lue ? :uhoh:

To me it seems there are stretches during some games when Damon seems like a pretty good player - e.g the first quarter of the Seattle game, he scored 12 pts and made nearly all his shots. Then there are other games where he is just awful. It's strange that he is so inconsistent, it is usually a problem young players/rookies have, not vets like Damon.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree with the previous thoughts, add to that Damon believes he should be the man! Oh yeah! An din uhhhhhh....there's ummmm.....y'know.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
here's a list of the top 50 assist men in the NBA, which is a start:

Jason Kidd, NJN
S. Marbury, NYK/PHO
Baron Davis, NOR
Steve Nash, DAL
Sam Cassell, MIN
Eric Snow, PHI
T.J. Ford, MIL
LeBron James, CLE
Gary Payton, LAL
Andre Miller, DEN
D. Stoudamire, POR
Tracy McGrady, ORL
Paul Pierce, BOS
Steve Francis, HOU
Mike Bibby, SAC
Earl Watson, MEM
J. Crawford, CHI
Jeff McInnis, POR
Kirk Hinrich, CHI
C. Billups, DET
Vlade Divac, SAC
Brent Barry, SEA
Kevin Garnett, MIN
A. Walker, DAL
Jason Terry, ATL
Charlie Ward, NYK
Damon Jones, MIL
Brad Miller, SAC
Mike James, BOS
Vince Carter, TOR
Jalen Rose, CHI/TOR
Howard Eisley, NYK/PHO
Mike Miller, MEM
Kobe Bryant, LAL
Manu Ginobili, SAS
Raul Lopez, UTH
Earl Boykins, DEN
A. Williams, TOR
Marko Jaric, LAC
L. Sprewell, MIN
Lamar Odom, MIA
Doug Christie, SAC
Ricky Davis, BOS/CLE
Tyronn Lue, ORL
Ron Artest, IND
Rafer Alston, MIA
Jacque Vaughn, ATL
S. Claxton, GSW
Joe Johnson, PHO
R. Hamilton, DET

assuming the salaries were the same size and length, I might take Damon over Jacque Vaughn or Howard Eisely, but I'd have to think about it.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts

Ed O.
Personally, for my money, Stoudamire is better than Jason Williams.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!

Personally, for my money, I would trade Damon for Jay "Motorcycle Mama" Williams! ;)

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Not to mention

The fact that pretty much you can count on whoever is playing against Damon at the PG position on having a career night scoring wise almost every night. Basically it comes down to:

1. Damon is a ball hog.
2. Damon can't finish.
3. Damon can't shoot worth crap.
4. Damon can't defend.

Conclusion: Damon is a waste of Oxygen on this team.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!

I definitely would have agreed with you at most points in the past. Now, I'm not so sure.

Considering contracts, I think you might be right. On the court is a close call. Jason makes Damon look like Ron Artest on defense, and his shot is even spottier than Damon's, but he's a guy who looks to get others involved first, which is a great thing from a PG unless that PG is a very good player (like Marbury and Francis).

Ed O.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!

This brings up the only reason I can think of for answering yes to your question, although I can't think of every starting PG off the top of my head. Is Damon our PG or SG? Second set of questions, if Damon is really our SG, is he the worst SG and is McInnis the worst PG?
It's an interesting question... I think that McInnis actually does a passable job when he plays the 1 (when Damon's on the bench). Not great, certainly, but he doesn't get lit up and he tends to restrict his shooting to open jumpers.

Damon, on the other hand, is acceptable at neither position. He can't score like a 2 guard and he can't (or won't) pass like a PG.

Ed O.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
In my mind, it's a combination of off-the-court issues, on-the-court deficiencies and the fact that he's making more money than nearly every other PG in the league.

And apparently it's not simply my opinion or simply the opinion of posters on this board. It's the opinion of GM's all over the league. After all, the Blazers "can't get a chair back in a trade for Damon" according to John Nash. If value is set by the market, that should speak volumes.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Stevenson</b>!
Can you guys tell me why you hate Damon so much? I don't get it.
Trust me if you had to root for him for one season (let alone six), you'd understand all too well. Obviously he has some talent, but he also has glaring weaknesses. Whats especially tough is that he apparently can not grasp what his limitations are, and he stubbornly sticks to "his game," namely gunning. A hot teammate will be ignored in the 4th, cuz dats Damon time! Unfortunately it's also Damon time on the other end of the court, as opposing coaches know who's their go at guy with the game on the line. When a Blazer coach has better points to turn to (like Portland has had in the past Greg Anthony and PIP), he'll throw a big public hissy fit. With DA working his way back into the rotation, Damon may be throwing another one soon.

BTW... I also could care less if he or other players smoke, but I don't blame his busts on the pot. I think he's just stupid.

STOMP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts