Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that it would be sometime during early next season. But, probably wouldn't happen until right before the 2005 trading deadline.

Even then, the chances of trading him are extremely slim because of his marginal value coupled with the Blazer's uninterest in talking on salary dumps.

Nope, looking more and more like him taking the whole (train) ride with the Blazers, then showing him that wide open door upon the completion of his contract.

Drats.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>el_Diablo</b>!
Everybody Loves Damon
Yeah. Now, how far away in the cold north are you? ;)

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
:whoknows: Damon has incriminating pictures of someone around here :reporter:

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I think over the course of next season, he'll be fairly valuable as an expiring contract. Especially for a team with no point guard who would like to re-sign Stoudamire for something like $4 million per annum and take a shot on him, saving the rest of his current salary against the cap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Damon: When Will He Begin To Draw Trade Interest?

When pigs fly? Is this a trick question?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
:whoknows: Damon has incriminating pictures of someone around here :reporter:
Hmmmm, I wonder if he had someone take some photos of the lovely girls in the sky boxes last year and has one of our posters over a barrel? :laugh:

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!

Hmmmm, I wonder if he had someone take some photos of the lovely girls in the sky boxes last year and has one of our posters over a barrel? :laugh:
I don't know about that, but his relationship with Cheeks is getting downright creepy. As in Michael Jackson and Bubbles the Chimp creepy!:jawdrop: :whofarted :krazy:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
The "problem" is that although he'll have trade value as an expiring contract, what the Blazers will get offered are longer-term deals that will continue to eat up cap room.

For example, Boston might be interested in trading for Damon. However, they'll offer Raef LaFrentz plus filler. Does Portland really want to take on any long-term contracts in exchange for Damon?

Under the current regime, I think it's more likely that we'll see Damon play out his deal and become a FA in the summer of 2005. That way, the organization will be in the best spot to make a run towards getting a quality FA next summer.

Unless, of course, Damon's contract can be used to trade for a superstar. Damon + Dale + 2 draft picks for McGrady + Hill if T-Mac lets Orlando know that he's going to opt out and he wants to play in Portland. I don't realistically see this specifically happening, but you get my drift.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
My guess is that he'll start drawing interest shortly after a majority of season tickets are sold during the upcoming offseason. There are front offices out there that want to get out from under various longterm deals on their books. While Damon is going to take 15 million bucks off of someone's cap figure, trading for him is akin to openly advertising to your fanbase that you're retooling for the future, and the season is a wash. From a business perspective, it makes sense to break the rebuilding news to your fanbase after you've sold the seats.

I think he'll draw some substancial offers as long as Nash and Co hold onto him long enough. I think Nash might be recognizing this with his we can't trade him for a chair comment. By saying that, he effectively drove down expectations/hopes of the Portland fanbase to finally be rid of him with an incoming new management squad. Tempting as it would be to dump him for the first offer of a slightly used comfy recliner, I'd rather get a quality player or two.

STOMP

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!
Tempting as it would be to dump him for the first offer of a slightly used comfy recliner, I'd rather get a quality player or two.
But will Nash take back a couple of non-expiring contracts? IMO, only if the team has made previous moves that take them out of the FA market in 2005.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Found this on Raptors board!!

On the Raptors Real Gm Board:
Raptors Trade:
Jalen Rose
Mo Pete
Jerome Moiso

for

Blazers Trade:
Damon Stoudamire
Dale Davis

The reason -- the caps space that will be available for the Raptors at the end of next year. And Damon coming back to Toronto might re-energize his career
We'd have to take alot of contract but people actually like damon was my point well at least one person

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
But will Nash take back a couple of non-expiring contracts (...for Damon)? IMO, only if the team has made previous moves that take them out of the FA market in 2005.
Stephon Marbury doesn't have an expiring deal... he was essencially acquired for expiring contracts and a couple of 2nd tier prospects. I'd think/hope that Nash would scrap plans of playing Free Agent Roulette (your cool term) if top talent was made available next season in return for DS.

As I said on your long-term thread, why does it matter how you acquire talent (trade, draft, or Free Agency)... just get it.

STOMP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts