Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think Diaw is a very good addition! Actually quite amazed by him. He can pass, drive, and shoot and at 6'8, he is pretty quick too.

Bell is a great addition and so is James who can easily replace Q.

The only guy I don't like so far is Kurt Thomas. Kurt just can't fit in right now..... he and Nash have very bad communication IMO.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Pheonix and D'Antoni are amazing with some of the stuff they try. Diaw at center is one of those moves, and it worked out great this game

D'Antoni is such a different coach then the rest of them in the nba. Pheonix is going to be running for years. Very exciting basketball no doubt, but they will have to break that certain stereotype regarding winning in the playoffs with that style of basketball.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Got to love the Atlanta Hawks management: 2 first round picks and Diaw just to sign JJ to max deal

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Got to love the Atlanta Hawks management: 2 first round picks and Diaw just to sign JJ to max deal

key word: potential

resume: good shooter, especially from 3 point-line, can handle the band, can post up, can cut to the basket, gritty playoff performance, good versatile player

so <3 the Hawks

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wadeshaqeddie said:
D'Antoni is such a different coach then the rest of them in the nba.
I think that 25 years of playing and coaching in Europe/Italy have some values for this.

He simply brought some european style in the NBA (above all the small ball thing with every player on the court that can do almost everything, i.e. shot the 3)

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
GoDWade said:
key word: potential

resume: good shooter, especially from 3 point-line, can handle the band, can post up, can cut to the basket, gritty playoff performance, good versatile player

so <3 the Hawks
It looks like Phoenix gets the potential in the deal. Diaw has almost as much ability as Joe Johnson, I mean, he can play five positions for godsakes. The Hawks were just not good enough to really take advantage of him. He's the type of player who gets better the better the players you put around him.

And the two first round draft picks....yeah, I'm sure those won't have potential...

The Hawks are fools. Damned foools.

Joe Johnson and his contract will be the death of basketball in Atlanta. That franchise will be forced to move.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
D'Antoni is one of my favourite coaches in the NBA right now, but I can't see him being an elite coach for a long long time unless he is more adaptable. His system only works with the right players, and I don't know if he would adapt to a different group of guys or try to adapt the guys to him. Let's face it, running up and down the floor like that would never work with a team like the Rockets. Yao and Motumbo would be dead by mid-November.

Of course, if the Suns management is smart, they will keep giving D'Antoni the right kinds of players to use. However, the trade for Kurt Thomas has given me doubts about this happening.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Interesting that people are calling the JJ trade a lousy deal for Atlanta. I recall it being the other way around a couple months ago.

And I know many don't like to give D'Antoni much credit as a coach because his lack of structure, but he continues to play small ball and it continues to work.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
See what depth does for a team? D'Antoni can work several different rotations/lineups/matchups to his favor with the talent they added over the offseason. When you play the run-and-gun style, you're going to need depth, and props to Suns management for actually going out and doing something to fix it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ive always been high on Boris Diaw

like ive said before - hes not a superstar but he does everything VERY well

ive always said "imagine bruce bowen on the atlanta hawks"

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Yet another advantage of having a small forward who grabs 12 boards per game. If they didn't have Marion, starting Diaw at center would not be possible. I like D'Antoni though, he is like a Don Nelson who knows what he is doing. It helps to have Nash constantly pushing the tempo and putting pressure on the defense, plus Marion who rebounds like an elite big man and runs the floor like a demon. D'Antoni is a pretty underrated reason for the Suns success.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
KidCanada said:
Interesting that people are calling the JJ trade a lousy deal for Atlanta. I recall it being the other way around a couple months ago.

And I know many don't like to give D'Antoni much credit as a coach because his lack of structure, but he continues to play small ball and it continues to work.
Actually most people agreed with signing JJ to an offer sheet, the trade was heavily criticized by most. Heck, even Suns fans that were in love with JJ were OK with the package they got for him. It all depends on how fast Atlanta gets good because despite their record they have been doing very well for such a young team IMO.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
MemphisX said:
Actually most people agreed with signing JJ to an offer sheet, the trade was heavily criticized by most. Heck, even Suns fans that were in love with JJ were OK with the package they got for him. It all depends on how fast Atlanta gets good because despite their record they have been doing very well for such a young team IMO.

Hmm I don't remember it that way but I'll take your word for it.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
MemphisX said:
Agreed. I specifically said I wouldn't have traded anything for JJ. I would have forced the Suns to match (which they obviously weren't going to do).

Credit Bryan Colangelo for identifying James Jones and Raja Bell. Those were big signings man.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Yet another advantage of having a small forward who grabs 12 boards per game. If they didn't have Marion, starting Diaw at center would not be possible. I like D'Antoni though, he is like a Don Nelson who knows what he is doing. It helps to have Nash constantly pushing the tempo and putting pressure on the defense, plus Marion who rebounds like an elite big man and runs the floor like a demon. D'Antoni is a pretty underrated reason for the Suns success.
I second your opinion about D'Antoni being similar to Don Nelson. Both are willing to try something different or even unorthodox with their lineup. Boris Diaw actually reminds me a little bit of Paul Pressey, the 6'7" PG of Don Nelson's Bucks team in the 80's. Like Diaw, Pressey is also a solid and versatile defender. It's kinda ironic, Hawks are thin at PG. They thought Joe Johnson can play PG full time. They think JJ is capable, but they just traded away who is probably their best PG in Diaw. But, I'm not going to say that Hawks really lose this trade. Diaw is a system guy. He plays better in a good team. He's the ultimate role player.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Phoenix seems to be great at not being contempt with their short sucess after bringing Nash and scouting the rest of league to feed the pieces they need for a run.

If Amare comes back strong from the injury. WATCH OUT!

PS-I love DIAW!. The only people who had faith in him where the french who've seen him play and sucedd on their NT.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
KidCanada said:
Hmm I don't remember it that way but I'll take your word for it.

You don't remember all the fuss about him being extremely overpaid?

Joe Johnson was overrated for the Suns last year, just like I suggested in the playoffs when people were riding his jock all over the place. I'm not rooting for him to fail, but I knew he wasn't all that great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts