Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:laugh:

Way ta go "Mic". :greatjob:

Darius Miles, in the second year of a six-year, $48 million contract, has taken a good share of criticism for the Trail Blazers’ sour season. When pressed, he says he feels somewhat of a fall guy for the team’s lack of success.

“I’m like the Mickey Mantle of the team,” he said.

Say what?

Miles explains he recently watched the movie “61” about the 1961 bid by Mantle and Roger Maris to break Babe Ruth’s home run record.

“The fans were deep (in adoration) for one and giving it to the other one,” Miles says.

Miles is getting his New York Yankee sluggers mixed up; it was Mantle who was the crowd favorite.

· Registered
852 Posts
so he mixed it up and truly feels like people are against him?!?!?!?!?!

wow! what a spoiled piece of crap......an attitude like that is why he has never and will never reach his potential, always out to piont the finger else where

· Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
riehldeal said:
so he mixed it up and truly feels like people are against him?!?!?!?!?!

wow! what a spoiled piece of crap......an attitude like that is why he has never and will never reach his potential, always out to piont the finger else where
What the **** are you talking about? Why are you calling him a spoiled piece of crap when he is telling the truth? Almost 100% of the board, including me, thinks we should trade Miles this summer, and 100% of the board has *****ed about him not trying.

He isn't pointing his finger anywhere, he is just saying he gets criticized alot, which is true.

· Registered
5,731 Posts
How dare the little ingrate even speak aloud the name of my good friend Mickey, let alone compare himself to him, or to me for that matter.

What, if anything , has he ever brought to the many teams he has sponged off that would make him think he is worthy of a ride in "The Bigs"?

Better duck, Mr. Miles.

This ain't Balsa wood I'm swinging. :curse:

· Registered
6,509 Posts
Most of the posts in this thread will prove Darius correct.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
Fork said:
Most of the posts in this thread will prove Darius correct.
Heh. No doubt. I just don't get why so many Blazers fans like to rip into players that they think should be better than they are. I'm not surprised. I just don't get it.

Ed O.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
Heh. No doubt. I just don't get why so many Blazers fans like to rip into players that they think should be better than they are. I'm not surprised. I just don't get it.

Ed O.
thinking someone should be giving effort more often, does not = thinking they should be better than they are.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
riehldeal said:
thank you Hap for that post......makes me still have hope that not all blazer fans are completely brain washed
hm..paranoid hap can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

· Registered
2,377 Posts
I don't understand why you all are upset with his quote. He's right (well, other then mixing up the names I guess), most the board here outright hates Miles regardless of his play.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap said:
thinking someone should be giving effort more often, does not = thinking they should be better than they are.
Absolutely it is. If he were averaging 20ppg and 10rpg, would you still be complaining about effort?

It seems clear to me that the reason people don't like Miles is because they think he should be better than he is. "Effort" is just another way of saying that.

It was the same way with Rasheed, although it was phrased as "he doesn't lift weights" and "he won't go on the blocks" since he was clearly such a standout on defense the "he's not trying!" attack failed.

Ed O.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
Absolutely it is. If he were averaging 20ppg and 10rpg, would you still be complaining about effort?
if he was averaging 20-10, it'd mean he'd be giving far more consistent effort, wouldn't it?
It seems clear to me that the reason people don't like Miles is because they think he should be better than he is. "Effort" is just another way of saying that.
it's seems clear to me that the people who don't like Miles, don't like him for a variety of reasons, and to act as tho they all dislike him for the same reason is very anti-ed in thinking.

Personally I "dislike" miles because he's always inconsistent, and lazy on D.

It was the same way with Rasheed, although it was phrased as "he doesn't lift weights" and "he won't go on the blocks" since he was clearly such a standout on defense the "he's not trying!" attack failed.

Ed O.
clearly to some, a small minority of fans, it's somewhat the same form of dislike as what surrouded Rasheed. But I'd bet that more dislike him for a reason you're incapbable of accepting, or unwilling to conceed to it being how people feel. He's lazy and not terribly efficient on offense and he's a poor outside shooter. He doesn't play consistently, and he's a pathetic free throw shooter. And he's had what, 5-6 years to improve his game and he hasn't.

His defense is weak, cept for the occasional block shot. But that occasional block shot doesn't cover up the matador defense he plays, or the bad decisions he makes on offense.

but I know, it has to be that fans just don't like him because he's the new "rasheed". it has to be irrational. :cry:

· Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed O said:

Ed O.

Sheed was great when he wanted to be. He took many nights off, too. Which, I believe, is one of the main complaints steered Miles' way.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap said:
if he was averaging 20-10, it'd mean he'd be giving far more consistent effort, wouldn't it?
No. Not at all.

He might be getting 40 points one night and 0 the next, with 15 boards one night and 5 the next. Averages don't indicate consistency at all.

Further, they don't necessarily indicate effort. If Miles were just a better shooter, he'd score more. Heck... if he were a better free throw shooter, he might be getting 20 points a game.

clearly to some, a small minority of fans, it's somewhat the same form of dislike as what surrouded Rasheed. But I'd bet that more dislike him for a reason you're incapbable of accepting, or unwilling to conceed to it being how people feel. He's lazy and not terribly efficient on offense and he's a poor outside shooter. He doesn't play consistently, and he's a pathetic free throw shooter. And he's had what, 5-6 years to improve his game and he hasn't.

His defense is weak, cept for the occasional block shot. But that occasional block shot doesn't cover up the matador defense he plays, or the bad decisions he makes on offense.

but I know, it has to be that fans just don't like him because he's the new "rasheed". it has to be irrational. :cry:
I don't see anything that you're saying that's inconsistent with what I said. You point to that he hasn't improved, that he doesn't try, that he's "lazy". All of those things speak to unmet expectations. And unmet expectations, to me, isn't a good reason not to like a player.

Doesn't mean that others can't disagree, but given the almost entirely subjective nature of expectations, and the tendency of fans to have higher expectations of their own players than unattached fans, it seems that it's almost inevitable that the best players will end up being the most disliked.

Ed O.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
ABM said:
Sheed was great when he wanted to be. He took many nights off, too. Which, I believe, is one of the main complaints steered Miles' way.
I think that you're right that people DO think that. Absolutely.

Ed O.

· Registered
330 Posts
Ed O said:
No. Not at all.

He might be getting 40 points one night and 0 the next, with 15 boards one night and 5 the next. Averages don't indicate consistency at all.

Further, they don't necessarily indicate effort. If Miles were just a better shooter, he'd score more. Heck... if he were a better free throw shooter, he might be getting 20 points a game.

I don't see anything that you're saying that's inconsistent with what I said. You point to that he hasn't improved, that he doesn't try, that he's "lazy". All of those things speak to unmet expectations. And unmet expectations, to me, isn't a good reason not to like a player.

Doesn't mean that others can't disagree, but given the almost entirely subjective nature of expectations, and the tendency of fans to have higher expectations of their own players than unattached fans, it seems that it's almost inevitable that the best players will end up being the most disliked.

Ed O.
Well said Ed O.

· Registered
2,683 Posts
This statement isn't intended to be specifically about Miles, but in response to Ed's posts, I think it seems like some fans like to judge Portland's players based on what they don't do, rather than what they actually produce. A Blazer could lead the team in points and rebounds night in and night out, but if he doesn't live up to certain fans' expectations, they would want to dump him. Sometimes it seems like there is some kind of group hysteria to at all times have a certain player or players singled out to be ragged on and gotten rid of. I don't have any idea if other fan bases suffer from this or not, but it sure seems like it in Portland, and I (of course) blame the local media to a large degree for the negative approach they've taken toward the team for so many years.

Miles has a certain demeanor and a certain way of moving on the court that makes a lot of fans conclude he's not putting out effort. He has the same demeanor when he's making a great move and gliding to the hoop. Even when he looks like he's not hustling or running hard, he's still covering a lot of ground, making plays, blocking shots, getting steals, scoring on the break.

Miles isn't a frenetic Tasmanian Devil type of player, and he never will be. Does he need to be?

I don't know if Miles is lazy or not, or if he can be as good as people expect him to be. I do know he's coming back from knee surgery. Maybe he will never be an all star. That doesn't mean he isn't valuable to the team.

And yes, he's being singled out an under-appreciated for what he gives to the team, IMO.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
No. Not at all.

Ed O.
I don't consider 'giving effort' the same as thinking someone is better than they are.

I guess thats where most of the disagreements fall on. You have different (alien to me) criteria for what you want out of a player/team...and I have different (alien to you) criteria for what I want out of a player/team.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.