Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim Todd and Darrik Martin were part of that Clipper team that went 0-17 - what don't we have danny manning and Ron Harper join the coaching staff to bring more bad luck... ?

BTW where the hell did this guy come from? Raps had 3 guys in Camp + omar cook last year but instead they bring in a 34 yr old slow footed undersized washout???!?! huh?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2998

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Martin's role is to play some minutes at the point but to primarily help the younger players. All the players you mentioned are not what you'd call solid veterans. Martin has been around the league for 10 seasons and knows how the game is played more than any of your mentioned players.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Slasher said:
Martin's role is to play some minutes at the point but to primarily help the younger players. All the players you mentioned are not what you'd call solid veterans. Martin has been around the league for 10 seasons and knows how the game is played more than any of your mentioned players.
Good point, becuase right now the only other Rap with significant experience in the L, who also actually tries, is James.

Not a bad move by Rob, as long as its a minimum contract, and he speaks up in the locker room.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Slasher said:
From what I recall during the game, he put up 2 shots - a jumper that went in and a finger roll layup that bounced off the rim - looked to distribute the remainder of the time he was on the floor and there was a sequence where immediately after a time out, you could see Martin on the sideline shouting 'Jose' - to call him over and lend some instruction...

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Yep, our third PG will only play 5mpg. Martin is more of a teacher than a player. I think this shows how important Calderon is to the Raps. They love what they see from him and want to accelerate his nba learning curve. Bring in a guy who is clearly not a threat to Jose and who he can trust. Darrick knows his role and accepts it. Good fit. Sam knows him well. Kind of like Sam's own Rick Brunson.

But I agree about the bad Karma. Bringing in another guy associated with 0-17 is just not good. Media will pick up on that and get it into the minds of our players. How can they look at Jim Todd and Darrick and not think about it?

Not that it matters if we continue to give up 50%fg every night.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
guy in the newspaper made a good point. Said it probably showed Sam will be using James/Sanchez together a lot, so they needed a backup asap

wish it was Omar Cook though

heres an article on him from a Beligian newspaper:

Ex- NBA speler Omar Cook naar Mons
Dexia Mons-Hainaut heeft zich na een teleurstellende competitiestart versterkt met de Amerikaanse point guard Omar Cook. De 23 jarige Cook was vorig jaar in 5 matchen voor de Toronto Raptors goed voor 4.4 ppg en 4.6 apg. Cook is een echte pass-first point guard die Mons beter zal moeten laten draaien. In 2001 verliet hij na zijn freshman jaar reeds St Johns University waar hij 15.3ppg 8.7apg en 2.3 spg liet optekenen om zijn kans te gaan in de NBA. Maar na vier jaar rondzwerven in de NDBL en na enkele interims bij verschillende NBA-teams, heeft hij die kans nog steeds niet gekregen en probeert hij nu om zijn geluk in Europa te vinden.

(translated, it basically says he is destined for the Beligian hall of fame, and is now worshipped by Belgians around the world)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ansoncarter said:
guy in the newspaper made a good point. Said it probably showed Sam will be using James/Sanchez together
I think you mean James/Calderone?

·
Registered
268 Posts
lucky777s said:
Yep, our third PG will only play 5mpg. Martin is more of a teacher than a player. I think this shows how important Calderon is to the Raps. They love what they see from him and want to accelerate his nba learning curve. Bring in a guy who is clearly not a threat to Jose and who he can trust. Darrick knows his role and accepts it. Good fit. Sam knows him well. Kind of like Sam's own Rick Brunson.
Lending credence to this line of thought is the fact that Martin is fluent in Spanish - thereby circumventing any language issues that Jose is encountering currently whilst learning English...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Don't tell me you guys are superstitious now... Hey McGrady was part of a 19 game Magic losing streak two seasons ago, and look where he was last season, helping the Rockets Surge to the playoffs.

Kevin Garnett had never been past the First round of the playoffs, then when he finally makes a break through his team goes to the lottery the following season.

Things happen; but you can't be superstitious about it, being a Clipper fan the past 5 years was and even now I am still afraid their past will come to haunt them, but I prefer not to be superstitious about it because quite simply; anything can happen.

If you want superstition, then the Suns will likely never win the Championship, just look at their history and how close they came to it everytime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts