Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days after the Tigers cut him loose Dombrowski is being named Boston's President of Baseball Operations. Cherington is resigning his GM spot, presumably DiPoto has the inside track on the job.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cherington landed a job with a small market team looking to rebuild through the farm as he's done ace work in Boston as director of amateur scouting and drafting since taking over as GM.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
FUCK.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I was shocked that the Tigers let him walk. As long as Boston assigns him a sabrmetric savvy assistant he's walking into an ideal situation. Anderson Espinoza is pillaging the GCL at the moment, given the .75 ERA, .86 WHIP, and the 34/9 K/BB ratio I keep waiting for them to send him up to Lowell for a few starts before the year's over.

Also, Boston's beginning to suffer prospect backup at this point, so I'll be happy to have Dombrowski culling AA/AAA to acquire some major league talent and/or ditch Sandoval (even if the cost is Manuel Margot given that Benintendi is blowing through the minors).

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I was shocked that the Tigers let him walk. As long as Boston assigns him a sabrmetric savvy assistant he's walking into an ideal situation. Anderson Espinoza is pillaging the GCL at the moment, given the .75 ERA, .86 WHIP, and the 34/9 K/BB ratio I keep waiting for them to send him up to Lowell for a few starts before the year's over.

Also, Boston's beginning to suffer prospect backup at this point, so I'll be happy to have Dombrowski culling AA/AAA to acquire some major league talent and/or ditch Sandoval (even if the cost is Manuel Margot given that Benintendi is blowing through the minors).

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't think he's been nearly as good in Detroit in recent years as he's heen made out to be. His whole MO revolves around overpaying for free agents he wants, and then emptying the farm every year to supplement them at the trade deadline. It worked great for awhile, but their ability to do that every year revolved around their ability to get great talent late in the first round by going way over slot to sign the unsignable guys who would always fall. Since they changed the draft rules and he stopped being able to steal guys that way the farm has gone dry as he's otherwise drafted poorly.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dombrowski's been pretty good at trading away minor leaguers for actual MLB talent (e.g. picking up Doug Fister for peanuts). And the issue that Detroit has with the draft has bit all the big market clubs in the ass in recent years. Well, except Boston the last couple of years because their FA signings all got injured after the '13 title and the new ones have flopped.

One thing I will say about Dombrowski, he's really good at acquiring major league talent, which was Ben Cherington's weakness. Cherington made a horrific decision last year amidst the injury apocalypse to deal Lackey and Lester for major leaguers rather than prospects, and then getting major leaguers that weren't equivalent talent. E.g. by not striking early and raiding the A's farm system for Lester they ended up turning a #1 starter into a #4 /5 starter, similarly they turned a #2 /3 starter on a bargain contract into a highly paid position player whose career is over and a pitcher that can't throw strikes. If he'd dealt Lester for Addison Russell instead he'd probably still have a job (because Boston would be starting Russell/Bogaerts on the left side and they don't tie up all that money in a guy that's rapidly eating himself out of Boston). Getting minor league players out of the Cardinals would have left him in better position to trade this year.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
I don't think he's been nearly as good in Detroit in recent years as he's heen made out to be. His whole MO revolves around overpaying for free agents he wants, and then emptying the farm every year to supplement them at the trade deadline. It worked great for awhile, but their ability to do that every year revolved around their ability to get great talent late in the first round by going way over slot to sign the unsignable guys who would always fall. Since they changed the draft rules and he stopped being able to steal guys that way the farm has gone dry as he's otherwise drafted poorly.
Funny how every single analyst on ESPN says that... and fans parrot it... and yet the evidence shows that he's been able to, every step of the way, entice other GMs with his talent to get the guys he wants. It is really easy for you to use hindsight and say "well they had talent fall to them, and they were able to trade that talent to get the guys they wanted" when every single analyst at the time was saying they did NOT have the talent in the system to get the guys they wanted.

I don't give a damn what you or any analyst thinks, other baseball heads think the talent in Detroit's system is just fine. If they'd decided they needed to pick anything up this summer I guarantee Dombrowski would have been just fine finding what he needed.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - but every analyst has been saying the same thing about their cupboard being near dry since around 2008. When they traded Miller and Maybin people said their top heavy farm system was totally empty. And then they found a way to flip assets around and wind up with Scherzer. Wind up with Fister. Wind up with Cespedes. Wind up with Price. Their talent in the system has always been enough, and always in the face of claims that they have one of the worst systems in baseball.

Now if you want to hamstring Dombrowski.... implement a worldwide draft. Because the pieces that always seem to get him what he wants are high potential Latino guys that they signed young. He MORE THAN ameliorates his draft woes with his signings out of the vast baseball plantation that is every-country-south-of-the-USA.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean Boston has a lot of really talented guys in the minors that just have no place in Boston. Manuel Margot, for example, has all star written all over him, but with Mookie Betts relegated to CF (due to Pedroia), and Andrew Benintendi hitting the hell out of the ball behind him he's extraneous to the Red Sox.

Between guys like Margot, all those #2 /3 starter types they have (Eduardo Rodriguez, Henry Owens, Brian Johnson), and then guys like Garin Cecchini, Sam Travis, et al you can build a package for a front line starter or a middle of the order bat without having to touch the future franchise guys like Moncada, Devers, or Espinoza.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't give a damn what you or any analyst thinks, other baseball heads think the talent in Detroit's system is just fine. If they'd decided they needed to pick anything up this summer I guarantee Dombrowski would have been just fine finding what he needed.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - but every analyst has been saying the same thing about their cupboard being near dry since around 2008. When they traded Miller and Maybin people said their top heavy farm system was totally empty. And then they found a way to flip assets around and wind up with Scherzer. Wind up with Fister. Wind up with Cespedes. Wind up with Price. Their talent in the system has always been enough, and always in the face of claims that they have one of the worst systems in baseball.
The minor league talent they have now is a lot better after dealing Price and Cespedes but it was completely empty before that. They would not have been able to make a deal for a good player this year without dealing someone like JD Martinez or Jose Iglesias (like many of the other deals you mentioned where "somehow finding a way to flip assets" in practice meant trading established all-stars like Curtis Granderson and Austin Jackson.)

I would argue that people have NOT been saying Detroit has had no young talent for years. They may have been rating low on minor league system rankings, but that's always because they've promoted quickly and traded everybody else. If over the last 5-6 years you've looked at their talent outflows and young-major players they've always had plenty of working capital. Until now of course where trades like Jake Thompson (just traded for Cole Hammels by Texas) for sub-replacement reliever Joakim Soria and Doug Fister for sub-replacement reliever Ian Kroll left them having to plug rotation holes with guys like Alfredo Simon.

This is my whole point with Dombrowski: he will take every asset you have and commit it towards winning the World Series this year. It's refreshing in that it's the exact other end of the spectrum from the modern baseball and basketball execs who pathologically horde assets without ever pushing their chips in on a season, and in a lot of circumstances I agree with the approach, but he is more than willing to overpay to get his guy and that can cause problems down the road if the guy he targets doesn't pan out (or say, your Cy Young winner is a free agent and whoops we're paying Victor Martinez, Joe Nathan, Anibal Sanchez, and the ghost of Prince Fielder a combined $50 million a year.)

I think he will do a good job rebuilding the Red Sox because he has a lot to work with, the big question is how much mileage he gets out of inevitable dealing because even just a few big misses can result in prolonged pain like I suspect the Tigers are entering the beginning of.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yeah, it is completely fair to wonder how many moves (like the Prince Fielder disaster) were basically mandated by their owner, but at the same time I think he benefited overall from having an owner willing to operate at a loss every season.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The difference is that the Red Sox are willing to spend on proven talent, but Dombrowski isn't under any pressure to mortgage the house to win a World Series right this very instant. So there'd be no incentive to sell off a Yoan Moncada (who's posted a 341/432/551, 6 HR, 22 XBH, 23 BB, 38KO line in 167 AB post all star break), for example, to plug a hole in an attempt to win a title in 2016. That's a distinct difference from his marching orders in Detroit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts