Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
David Aldridge: Put Up or Shut Up, Sheed to Dallas

NBA Fastbreak is trhe new name of NBA2Night on Tuesday the do a long extended show with a lot of jumping in to show bits of games and real time scores. The Tuesday night Show has Greg Anthony as the main analyst.

They have a segment where several analysts and insiders (5 or so) make a prediction about anything that people may not see coming. The segment is called "Put Up or Shut Up".

In that segment last night David Aldridges PUSU was that Rasheed Wallace would be a Maverick by the deadline. The other members of the panle said the deal went against Portlands "Plan" of trimming salary, to which DA responded...

"Antoine Walker Expires in 2 years"

I checked it expires the same year as Damon's.

Toine is not the answer as a 3 pt Shooter, nor is he a defender like Sheed is, but his game may be highly compatible, offensively, with Zachs where he is more of a face up player than a backdown post.

Stats
Walker
PPG 16.5
RPG 9.4
APG 5.1
SPG .68
BPG .78
FG% .424
FT% .511
3P% .289
MPG 37.9

Wallace
PPG 16.8
RPG 6.6
APG 2.7
SPG .73
BPG 1.45
FG% .430
FT% .726
3P% .308
MPG 38.5

WHat do you guys think? For a team that is in no way a contender and may just be scraping to make the playoffs for this season and Maybe next, would Walker and his deal make sense at this point in time?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Why would they trade Walker? I dont think he will go to the Mavs I hope he goes to the knicks. I think he will be in Atlanta.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>Starbury03</b>!
Why would they trade Walker? I dont think he will go to the Mavs I hope he goes to the knicks. I think he will be in Atlanta.
Dallas is in serious need of a legit inside defensive player like Sheed. Plus his inside Offense would be a huge benefit to them, if he would stay dfown there wgich I imnagine he would with the likes of Finely, Nash and Dirk being able to Bomb away.

Wallace would do something Walker doesn't for Dallas. Make then a legit threat in the west.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Dallas still wont be a contender I like Sheed but with Irk shooting so many J and the rest of the team they will never be good.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the deal makes sense for both teams.

BTW Mark Stein also said in the same segment that Kobe would sign with the CLippers this summer. All the other panelists got a kick out of that.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I can't speak for Dallas, but the more I think about the way Walker's offensive game compliments Zach's, the more I like it.

And the more I think about the way Walker's defensive game resembles Zach's, the more freaked out I get.

PBF

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Walkers D is ne worse than Jamiesons, but look at these expiring Contracts.

Walker $14mil expires 2005
Stoudamire $15.75mil expires 2005
Davis Approx $10mil expires 2005

Portland will clear nearly 40 mil in the summer of 2005.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
are you talking a player for player trade or others involved?
More would need to come to Portland to make the deal work. Basically they were talking the same deal as reported before which included Delk and Najera but swapping Jamieson for Walker.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!

More would need to come to Portland to make the deal work. Basically they were talking the same deal as reported before which included Delk and Najera but swapping Jamieson for Walker.
Hmmmmm...

it is really sounding like I am gonna lose my guy-I hate it and think it is bad news for Blazers but...

weren't Jamieson and Sheed teamates in college?

I'd rather have AJ than AW though. AW is top heavy and falls over too much! :)

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Walker has an player option after this year. The whole reason the C's traded Walker is because he was threating to opt out and go else where if he didn't get a 3 year 56 million dollar contract extension.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>Epadfield</b>!

Walker has an player option after this year. The whole reason the C's traded Walker is because he was threating to opt out and go else where if he didn't get a 3 year 56 million dollar contract extension.
In which case that helps Portland all the more. Hoopeshype has no indication of the player option listed.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Antoine Walker is one of the most overrated players in the game, and how little Dallas had to give up to get him might show that the overrating comes from fans and media, rather than from GMs.

Portland would be better served, IMO, to let Rasheed walk than to take on a year of Antoine Walker.

Ed O.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Even if Portland got Walker and even if he played decently (a stretch IMO) where would that leave the Blazers?

I'll tell you where - they'd be in the same situation 12 months from now with Walker crying for an extension. David Aldredge would be saying the exact same thing that he's saying now, only about Walker and his expiring deal instead of about Wallace and his expiring deal.

I don't like Walker's game, but even if he contributed something, getting him would be a temporary "fix" with the same exact problem arising one year from now.

No thanks. Doesn't fit my criteria.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I am begenning to like this deal.

I WILL NOT endorse a deal involving Finley or Jamison's monster contracts, but walker could be a nice cap reliever while complementing Zach's inside game..

If i am the blazers, i would demand Josh Howard thou...just for the hell of it

I would try to make a deal with Dertoit or Indiana first though...or Cleveland

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
Walkers D is ne worse than Jamiesons, but look at these expiring Contracts.

Stoudamire $15.75mil expires 2005
Davis Approx $10mil expires 2005

Portland will clear nearly 40 mil in the summer of 2005.
That would be the kicker for me right there. Isn't Jamiesons contract for another 4 years? I could take the Dallas trade if Walker was coming here instead of Jamieson. We still get something for Rasheed and we still are working in that window that John Nash is talking about.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When you miss as many shots as Walker, triple doubles mean nothing.

A. Walker is the sole reason Mavs suck this year. He is the worst kind of a player. One who thinks he can shoot and keeps jacking up threes like crazy wasting posessions like very few can.

Last year we knew Nash, Novitzky and Finley were the main three guys, and that's plenty considering there is only one ball to go around. Adding Walker to the mix, Dallas completely screwed up their game. Novitzky, Nash and Finley are taken out of their game by Walker.

My advice. Trade him as soon as possible if anybody wants to take him off your hands. To the other teams. Stay the hell away from A. Walker. He is the surest way to destroy any team.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts