Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN Link

Here's are few quotes I found interesting:

...I don't think it's this heinous crime if Kidd made his feelings about Scott known to management. Given what Kidd has done to save the Nets from oblivion, he's earned the right to speak his mind. And when you agree to give a guy $103 million, you more or less give him the run of the joint. Kidd isn't the first, second, or 583rd superstar to give the thumbs up or down to his boss. You think Tom Cruise signs a movie deal before signing off on who the director will be? You think Beyonce signs a record deal and doesn't have veto power on the producer? If Rod Thorn didn't solicit Kidd's opinion on the coach, he'd be derelict in his duties....
And this one will fired up NYCbballFan.;)
Again, I think asking Kidd's opinion was the right thing to do. He wasn't some unproven teenager who hadn't accomplished anything, or an overpaid veteran living off long-ago performance. And it was obvious that Kidd wasn't the only one who found Scott wanting as a coach; no one with juice stepped up to offer him a contract extension after two straight Finals appearances. He was a Dead Man Walking the second he stepped out of Thorn's office last spring without a new deal. (This season, eyes rolled in the Nets' locker room when Scott stuck with Jason Collins time after time instead of going to Aaron Williams or Brian Scalabrine.) But no matter what, people were going to perceive that Kidd had something to do with it; even Kidd knows that, no matter the fact that he has been effusive in his praise of Scott's increased pregame work this season. (With two new assistants this season, Scott thought it logical that he handle more of the workload.) So why not take care of business when you had real alternatives?
He basically defended Kidd AND Scott and also brought out the reality in NBA. Props to him.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
David Aldridge is one of the few, if only, people from ESPN who dont despise the Nets. Bucher, Stein, ugh. I get sick just hearing their names, let alone having to watch them on TV.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Yeah. When I hear all the Rod Thorn/Jason Kidd bashing in the media today, I realize that most of them have no idea what they're talking about.

I realize Kidd isn't a "good soldier", but none of them seem to realize Byron's deficiencies. And face it, if we have to take the power-hungry Kidd with the 2 Eastern Conference championships, we'll take it, no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Keep in mind, Kidd is gambling the remainder of his effective career and his championship aspirations on the Nets.

I like Aldridge's take on the situation. Remember the look on Thorn's face during the Heat game? Firing Scott was ultimately his decision, although I believe Kidd had input into it. Simplified, I believe Finals Game 6, the Memphis loss and the Miami loss were the three strikes that cost Scott his job.

In my old job, I had to make choices at times that upset people I cared about. I took grief, even from people who knew better, but they weren't in my position. I imagine anybody who's been in a leadership position understands what it's like.

Being a good leader means guiding a group towards a greater purpose, while taking care of the individual AND making the tough choices for the good of the whole. Often, the three goals conflict, but that's why we have leaders, to make the tough choices and act on them. Some of our greatest leaders were hated in their own time, but they did their job and performed their function.

Bottom-line: leadership is not a privilege, it is a burden and responsibility filled with personal sacrifice. Popularity is not a priority. The goal is to win the fight and complete the mission.

If indeed Kidd made this happen, the onus is now on him. He removed his excuse by ousting Scott, but what good are excuses when your career is over? Scott should understand. After all, Magic Johnson, his old team leader, ousted a coach in order to bring in Pat Riley and subsequent championships. Kidd is SO close to basketball's pantheon and it's so hard to climb the final distance. He's gambling his legacy now, but he appreciates how precious his remaining opportunities are to win a championship for himself and this franchise. He's doing what needs to be done. Leaders sacrifice to win. In many cases, they fail and pay the price. When they win, they make history.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
please don't compare Kidd to Magic :sour:

People have been overrating Kidd so much, Marbury is going to take the knicks further then the nets this year...

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KennethTo</b>!

People have been overrating Kidd so much, Marbury is going to take the knicks further then the nets this year...
:laugh: Knicks fans have to be the most ignorant, naive people in the world. GET A CLUE! Im sure while Kidd is racking up triple doubles, Marbury will be leading his team with his now consistent 4 point 8 assist games.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts

Well, you have a point in that Kidd needs to win at least one championship to enter the Pantheon and join Magic. Until that happens, he'll just be classified by many as a coach killer with nothing to show for his bad deeds. If or when he wins it, he'll be credited with making the hard choices it takes to earn the Prize.

Kidd knows the championship window on his career is shrinking fast. He's at his peak, maybe even on the down slope of his career, while the next-generation stars are maturing. Who knows what this team will look like when all the contracts start coming up - how much rebuilding the Nets will be forced to do. This season just might be his last run with the team that he brought to two straight Finals. There are only so many 'next' seasons left in Kidd's career, and he's going for it NOW. I can respect that.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
You know, having first hand knowledge of the difference between Marbury and Kidd, I would have disagreed with you. But then I read through this site, and now I have to agree. With a player like Anderson, who is like Kobe Bryant, "but he is a class act and model citizen", Yo!, da Knicks are the best team ever!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

You know, having first hand knowledge of the difference between Marbury and Kidd, I would have disagreed with you. But then I read through this site, and now I have to agree. With a player like Anderson, who is like Kobe Bryant, "but he is a class act and model citizen", Yo!, da Knicks are the best team ever!
Yo, dat site is da truth! I read through the whole thing and I couldn't stop laughing. I really don't think this guy is serious. I think he's just making fun of Knicks fans.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

:laugh: Knicks fans have to be the most ignorant, naive people in the world. GET A CLUE! Im sure while Kidd is racking up triple doubles, Marbury will be leading his team with his now consistent 4 point 8 assist games.:laugh:
Lol, once again making assumptions... whoever said I was a fan of knicks?

The coment was more about how Kidd overrated then the Knicks being good and they are not. I wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs this year.

Marbury has taken slack, but then again the suns put up more of a fight against the spurs then the nets ever did last year

getting a team through a weak division is nothing to be impressed about, wow, they are 1st in a division with no other team over 500, and being only 3 games over 500 themselves...

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Well, he didn't answer my question quite the way I wanted, but here's what he said:

John - Metuchen, NJ: Hey David, great article on the Nets situation. You seem to be the only one in the national media who seems to have a clue. Most of the local media doesn't get it either. As as Nets fan, if I have to take a power-hungry star to get 2 Eastern Conference championships, I'll do it, no questions asked. Byron was a class act, but why is it so hard for people around the league to see that he had deficiencies as a coach (lack of communication, in-game adjustments, substitution patterns), and that the Nets were not playing to their potential?

David Aldridge: (2:10 PM ET ) My only point is that it's ridiculous not to seek the opinion, whatever it is, of the guy you're paying a nine-figure salary. I think Byron got hit a little hard on his deficiencies--who doesn't have some--but they were there.
Chat with David Aldridge

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Its funny: in that same chat, there are fans asking if Byron could possibly coach their team, and if you browse around the boards here, you see the same thing.

Anybody think Byron will be successful elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!
Its funny: in that same chat, there are fans asking if Byron could possibly coach their team, and if you browse around the boards here, you see the same thing.

Anybody think Byron will be successful elsewhere?
Sure. Give him a superstar or two, a bunch of good role players, top-notch assistant coaches, a good personnel office, and he'll be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts