Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...made a mistake in passing over Mike Fratello for Scott Skiles.

I was in South America when the whole firing/hiring thing took place, so I don't know if this was a point of discussion back then or not...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Isn't it interesting how he sites the Bulls as having made the mistake, but not the Magic or the Knicks?

Aldrige has consistently poor mouthed the Bulls. Anything he says about Chicago especially when proffered as an opinion I take with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
For once I would like to hear someone say it is the players fault for our troubles and not always the coach. Skiles was the right choice, he can't make certain guys play the right way. He can instruct them the best way he knows how but ultimately they have to go out there and do it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
He wrote an article about it after the hiring, saying the best man for the job was Fratello and Paxson didn't spend enough time looking for a coach and simply picked Skiles for... I don't remember his reasoning. I wanted Fratello, but I'm not going to tell Paxson he picked the wrong guy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i couldn't agree more.

his commentary on the team in articles and chats is consistently uneducated. it's like he doesn't watch the games and then tries to offer up "expert" opinions on what they need to do to get better.

it's usually something along the lines of "the future resides with curry and chandler blah blah blah". that's obvious to everyone i think.

fratello has always been rumored to want player and roster control and in the ballpark of $4 million per to return to a coaching gig. i'm not sure what he brings that skiles doesn't besides a name. i'd rather have paxson and skiles (despite what some posters on this board think).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Haven't the Bulls been a much better team with Skiles. We actually compete every single night. We just don't have all the right players right now. Give us an off season to get rid of who we need to and bring in who we want.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I like Skiles better than Fratello. A little younger, a lot calmer, and doesn't have a stupid nickname.

In all the positive ways, I think Skiles is as good as Fratello. Both are basketball junkies; they say M-Frat goes totally nuts with X's and O's, and it kind of comes out in the broadcasting. But Skiles is as passionate, and I think as intelligent.

Has Fratello ever played basketball? I can't really remember. But Skiles has the point guard mentality, and I think he's integral to Hinrich's success (in that KH has always had a good coach with basketball fundamentals around, so Skiles is a very comfortable know-what-to-expect kind of guy for him) and Crawford (Skiles knows the very large difference between a point guard and a shooting guard, and he knows how a dynamic scorer should fit into an offense).

Skiles, however, has not been doing the best job with the big men. I think he's hoping that AD will step up more and take care of Curry, and I certainly do too. I want Skiles to tell Curry to just get out on the floor and rebound, that's it. Forget about scoring, forget about shot-blocking, just crash the boards hard on both ends. Box your man out on D; that'll be good enough defense most of the time anyway. Box your man out on offense; you'll find that one of the best positions to have in the post is just after yanking down an O-rebound.

Anyway. DA likes Fratello a lot, and thinks that Mike is the kind of guy that can get every drop out of his players. That may be true, and I don't think he would have been a bad choice. But I don't think he's a FAR superior choice to Skiles. Scott will get the job done, and will do his best to see it gets done well.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtyme</b>!
I like Skiles better than Fratello. A little younger, a lot calmer, and doesn't have a stupid nickname.
cmon, whats wrong with the tsar:D

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bulls' job, by contrast, should have gone to Mike Fratello.

Nothing against Skiles, but there's nothing he does as a coach that Fratello didn't do first, and do better. You think Skiles is intense? You haven't sat next to a Fratello-led squad. Regular season, playoffs -- it didn't matter. Every game was life and death. You think Skiles is detail-oriented? Ohmigosh. You think Skiles will get in underperforming players' faces? It was Fratello who lamented the "low basketball IQ" of his charges in Atlanta, where he sat guys who didn't get it done for so long that they grew moss. You think Skiles is confident? You don't know Fratello, who once boasted to someone that people paid money in Cleveland to watch him coach. In 14 years, he won 572 regular-season games. Like another former Cav, former GM Wayne Embry (still not dead, still better at putting an organization together than anyone you can name), Fratello has been in the wilderness long enough.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=aldridge_david&id=1672528

·
Registered
223 Posts
if hes so good how come he doesnt have a ****ing job for so many years. Skiles is fine for the job. not even the best coach can turn our situation into a winning one so david aldrige needs to shut up. Its not the coach its the players.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
David Alridge molests Collies

Just another ignorant card carrying member of the ESPN mafia

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I wonder why ESPN pushes so hard to see Fratello back in the coaching picture. IF the Lakers fire Phil Jackson tomorrow, Aldridge and co. will say its Fratello job to lose or something like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts