Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

Despite suffering a season-ending knee injury in March, New Orleans Hornets power forward David West said he will opt out of the final season of his contract this week and become a free agent.

"We just felt like this is the best thing for me, to go forward, and I made the decision based on where I was since the knee (surgery) and all those other things and I felt it was the right time for me to make a good decision," West told the (New Orleans) Times-Picayune on Monday.

West has a June 30 deadline in his contract to notify the Hornets whether he will invoke next season's $7.5 million salary or opt for free agency.
Supposedly Indiana and NJ will go after him

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm the contract he opted out of was paying him about 8 mill a year, why would he sign for less?

·
Last Winter Was The Coldest
2,594 Posts
Adding David West would be the start of adding some talented pieces around their hopeful franchise player. It would be a good addition if West returns to his same style of play after that injury.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
The Nets definitely want to bring back Kris Humphries, and with West coming off a torn ACL, I'm not sure the Nets will be all that interested. They do want to keep Deron around, obviously - just not sure if throwing $13-14m per year at West is the way to do that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Throwing 9 million would be a bargain for him imo, and he's a native so that's a plus.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
West & Brooke would be a layup line for the opposing team. David can be a useful player in this league, but if your goal is to try and keep Deron Williams then you sure as hell have to do better than David West.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well they want to go after Dwight so Brook will most likely be gone in whatever package they use to get him

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
In that case they should pull the trigger because West is an ideal fit next to Dwight, the Nets just better hope they land Superman V2 or Deron is out of there.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I think bringing him in as a sixth man behind Humphries would be nice. Not sure if he'd go for that, but not sure what other offers he'll be getting, between his age, the CBA, his injury, and not a ton of teams needing cap space. Nene would probably be first on the lists of teams looking for a big also. Would probably give him a better chance to win than most places, especially if we can get another wing or decent production from Brooks/James/Outlaw

I'd be really surprised if this actually happened, but I like the idea of a big off the bench who can score.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts