Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Dayton. Seven days a week and twice on Sunday.
I actually don’t believe this. I was just trying to bust sjhawk13’s chops who was not even old enough to mop the floor at The Fieldhouse when the Hawks took the country by storm that year.

I think it is hard to compare. Dayton’s guards can defend, but Nelson and West were one of the best duos I have ever seen. Throw in Carroll’s shooting and it’s hard to say how Dayton stops them. But Toppin and Crutcher are one of a kind in a way also and I think that team is deeper and they have a lot of unheralded weapons. I don’t recall that as much on the hawks team, but it was a long time ago and memories fade.

When all is said and done, both teams can hang the same banner, A10 Regular Season Champions. I’d say they are even in my book.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I can only imagine some URI guy programmed that thing.
In the real, not simulated world, we beat URI at URI, beat Davidson at Davidson, and beat them again at home.
Actually Bona fans were responsible for the simulation. But it is clear that momentum was not considered. There was about an even chance URI would lose the quarterfinal game against whomever, due to the struggles down the stretch.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No, JAF. There isn’t a basketball team in history that could beat the 1970 Bonnies. Not one!
This is true. We played the Final Four WITHOUT Bob Lanier, and we lost by 8 in the National Semi... with four players fouling out before 10 minutes left to go. It was our second string that played the last 10 minutes and we only got outscored by 4 points. Then in the third place game, we lost by only 6, still without Bob.

Net Efficiency says Osun Osuniyi was worth 21.3 points per game to the Bonnies this season. And that's a Third Team All-Conference player. What would a Hall of Famer have been in Net Efficiency rating for us?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Moral of the story: a first round NBA pick is a valuable player for their college team.
(nb: Artis Gilmore went nuts with 29 and 21. Lanier would have put a stop to that.)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I’m sorry BI55, I’m really fucking pissed. Plus a bottle of grocery store wine played a part in my post. I’m going to tell you why I’m fucking pissed. Obviously, the fact that the NCAA decides to cancel its National Championship Tournament when the Flyer’s have the best season in their storied history pisses me off. What really fucking pisses me off is that Duke and Kansas - Duke more than Kansas - essentially decided to not play in the tournament before the cancellation was announced. I can’t believe that this didn’t help make the NCAA’s decision easier. Duke wasn’t going anywhere in this years tournament and Coach K didn’t fucking give a shit.
Jaf, I'm gutted for you guys. This chicken little society has turned on its own head. I dont even understand what we're doing here. The NCAAT was not happening regardless of what Duke and KU said. This state, your governor, I mean what in the actual fuck is going on? We've gone full blown panic over a 1 in 100,000 infection rate. I don't get it. At all.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Jaf, I'm gutted for you guys. This chicken little society has turned on its own head. I dont even understand what we're doing here. The NCAAT was not happening regardless of what Duke and KU said. This state, your governor, I mean what in the actual fuck is going on? We've gone full blown panic over a 1 in 100,000 infection rate. I don't get it. At all.
It spreads very fast and will overwhelm the hospitals if we do not contain it. The social distancing is to slow it down, not eliminate it. If we overwhelm the system, everyday emergencies will not get the attention they need. My wife works at the ER at Johns Hopkins and they way she put it about the overwhelming was, "we will have to make decisions no doctor should have to make in a developed country, but will be forced to make when the demand for things like ventilators and ICU beds is overwhelmed by the volume of people who need them. Please help us flatten the curve so we have a chance."

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Ace we're averaging 80 per state. If its spreading so so rapidly why aren't we overwhelmed yet? I understand the whole flatten the curve approach, but you'd swear according to what we're hearing we should all be in imminent peril right now.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Check the chart out and where we are versus Italy.
There at over 300 deaths per day. Maybe we can stop from hitting that.
Our number would be larger relative to our population.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
BI, the stats in the USA are just bullshit.

The rules on who gets tested are so limited, you basically have to be a sexual partner of a confirmed case to be tested (or a celebrity/pro athlete!). In the US, we've got 4,711 cases and 86 deaths confirmed.

Everywhere else in the world, one death = 800 cases. So, 86 deaths = 68,800 cases. If we wanted to get people off the streets, we should be reporting ESTIMATED cases based on hard data:

"It's estimated the USA has 68,800 infected people.... as of 16 days ago; projecting that out, the USA likely has 5.5 million infected right now, and doubling every two days."

The panic and the counter-measures aren't because the virus itself is so problematic for ONE PERSON. They're not. You get it, you'll be fine a few weeks, no big deal. But there's a point where if X number of people in our country are all sick at once, the means of production simply stop. Society stops functioning. That same "flatten the curve" applies to every aspect of life, not just the heathcare industry being overwhelmed.

Johns Hopkins' Dark Winter simulation said that a smallpox pandemic would see society crumble in 13 days. This isn't as bad as smallpox, but it's the same principle.

We have to take turns getting sick over the next few months, because if EVERYONE is home sick at once, then no one is making food, making medicine, delivering those goods to stores, selling those goods in stores, running the banks, keeping the ICU running, keeping power and water on, etc. And that's when it turns into Purge Night.

People shouldn't be freaking the hell out and being paranoid, but they need to be smart and do what they can to slow the spread, because as annoying as home confinement is, the alternative is far, far worse.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You guys are arguing 2004 St. Joe's vs 2020 Dayton for the best team? 1996 UMass blows both away by 20. Ask Allen Iverson.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You guys are arguing 2004 St. Joe's vs 2020 Dayton for the best team? 1996 UMass blows both away by 20. Ask Allen Iverson.
Sure, and the dynasty Celtics would wipe the floor with UD or SJU, but we're limiting this to only eligible teams that abided by NCAA rules.

:D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
New post because new information:

538 has their prediction up now, and it would have given Dayton the best odds to reach the final 4 out of their region and a 5% chance to win overall. That sounds a bit low, but it's the 6th best percentage overall, and likely has a lot to do with the final 4 matchup being a tough out (most likely against either Kansas or Duke, who are two of the 5 teams with higher likelihoods of winning it all).

You can play around with it and see how it would have played out if you throw in some upsets here and there. For instance, if Kansas were to lose in the second round to Houston (like they did last time they were the #1 overall seed), Dayton would jump up to 7% odds (without making any other adjustments). If any team other than Kansas or Duke makes it out of their region then Dayton would be the favorite to go to the championship.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts