Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/7859933.htm

Some former basketball coaches have a crazy idea: Emphasize the word student in student-athletes.

Terry Holland and Dean Smith expressed serious concern Monday over the state of college athletics and renewed their push to make freshmen ineligible.

Testifying in front of the reform-minded Knight Commission in Washington, Holland said college sports remains beset by a “growing litany of irresponsible and outrageous behavior.”

Holland proposed that future shares of television money be awarded to schools whose athletes meet the school's academic profile. He also recommended an overhaul of game schedules — to play only local rivalry games on weeknights, for example — so athletes would miss fewer classes.

“If we really want students to put academics first, then, by golly, make them go to class,” said Holland, a former coach and athletic director at Virginia who now is a special assistant to the university's president.

The Knight Commission, formed 15 years ago in response to various scandals in college sports, plans to make recommendations to the NCAA's board of directors before its April meeting.

Smith said freshman recruits should play only for freshmen-only teams. He also suggested that junior-college transfers be forced to sit out a year before playing.

“You have to show you're a student first before you have the privilege of playing intercollegiate basketball,” Smith said.
-------

what is everyone's comments on this?

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Not in today's game. College hoops is more like a business than ever. Many kids choose colleges because they get the opportunity to play big minutes right away. I seriously doubt this ever happens.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I hope this never happens. What if a team is low on veteran players? That gives them a weak bench and no chance to let any of their possible impact freshman play. Dean Smith was a great coach, a coach I greatly hated, but a great coach. He should know that students can take academics seriously if a coach has a good influence on him. Punish them for grades, cut their PT, take away starting positions if grades don't improve. You don't need a rule like that for kids to take academics seriously. Stupid idea, IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
Originally posted by <b>UKfan4Life</b>!
I hope this never happens. What if a team is low on veteran players? That gives them a weak bench and no chance to let any of their possible impact freshman play. Dean Smith was a great coach, a coach I greatly hated, but a great coach. He should know that students can take academics seriously if a coach has a good influence on him. Punish them for grades, cut their PT, take away starting positions if grades don't improve. You don't need a rule like that for kids to take academics seriously. Stupid idea, IMO.
This might have worked in the old days but not now.

To many players want to be the instant superstar and they're not gonna ride the pine.

Everybody would just skip college and go to the NBA for sure.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the idea about not playing frosh will be a stupid rule by far thou.

What do you think about the other ideas that Terry Holland proposed?

The Television shares?

I think that could be a good possiblity to reward schools more on acadamic standards, but what about other schools? THey get cheated when say Stanford gets more money than say a school that does not have a high standard like Stanford.

The overhaul on schedules?

Only local rivary games on weekdays and not others? WHat does that mean? So lets say only KU vs MU, KU vs KSU, KU vs antehr kansas shool play on weekdays and say KU vs Oregon, KU vs Texas play on weekends? I do like the idea to focus on acadamics, but you also have to look at the business side. I do like the idea in some way. Maybe schdule more on weekends and less on weekdays, but not to the extreme that I think he is talking about. If a team plays one or twice during the week is okay. Like this week, Kansas played once during the week on Monday. Acually not too many teams schdule more than one game a week. That kind of seem redulant

JUCO players sit out a year?

No way that should even be considered. The players went to JUCO's for really on a couple reasons. (1)Acadamics (2)not being recruited by D-1 or D-2 schools for an example. They should not be punished for actually going to a JUCO to help their acadamics to pursue a 4 year school. I for one would like for college transfers don't even sit out a year. I perfer a semester only.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the NBA imposed a rule whereas the draftees had to be three years removed from high school this rule could work. It would be beneficial to the majority of athletes and only detrimental to the stars, who truth be told, would receive little sympathy.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Especially since they have the 5-3 rule now, nobody can afford to let a quality player sit out a year.

Yeah, it would be nice if every kid went to college and graduated, but its simply unrealistic.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
It will never happen, totally unrealistic...

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BlueBaron</b>!

This might have worked in the old days but not now.
It used to be a rule. Kareem had to sit out his first year at UCLA because freshmen were ineligible. His freshmen team beat the full squad that year. By the way the full squad won the National Title that season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.