Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few years, the quick scoring guards of the league, such as Iverson, Francis & Baron Davis, were guarded by Kerry Kittles. A very good 1-1 defender, who is long and quick.

This past season Vaugn has stepped in at that role, and is guarding these guys.

Next season with a backcourt of Kidd and Carter, who will guard the opposing scoring guard.

Kidd's obvious strength is playing a 1 man zone, where he creates soft double-teams, and plays the passing lane. He understand how to defend an entire offense, and forces other teams to go away from what they want. This also allows him to get somewhat of a breather on defense, which lets him play full-strength on offense.

Carter is not a premiere defender, average defender at best. He also likes to play the passing lane, and tends to sag from his man too often.

With this backcourt, I fear Kidd will be forced to guard the iversons of the league, and therefore limit his best qualities on defense. He will also be exerting more energy on defense and this may affect his offensive production.

If Carter were to guard the Iversons of the league, I see him in foul trouble, and more of a scoring matchup versus a defensive matchup.

Both options seem poor to me. I wish there was a better solution. (Jefferson on Iverson...I don't think so)

....what are your thoughts...

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
With Carter and RJ the Nets will be scoring so much that what the scoring guard on the opposing team does won't matter. Kidd can handle his own out there and we'll bring in Vaughn(hopefully resigned) off the bench if it gets out of hand.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My thoughts are that we'll have a problem defending them 1-on-1. This is one of the disadventages you suffer when you have Carter and Kidd on your backcourt. I think that Carter is much less than an average defender. He is the worst starting SG in the league (defensively). On the other hand, Kidd have always had problems defending quick Parker-type guards. We'll have to play zone (matchup zone will be best) against those players, unless we want to double-team them.

(Jefferson on Iverson...I don't think so)
RJ can guard Iverson better than Carter. Next year, Jefferson's offensive load will be smaller so I think that he will be able to concentrate on D and be more like the shut-down defender he used to be. That way Kidd wil guard the 2nd guard and Carter will defend the SF. I know it's not perfect, but I already said that zone will be more effective against some of these guys.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
X-JAY said:
My thoughts are that we'll have a problem defending them 1-on-1. This is one of the disadventages you suffer when you have Carter and Kidd on your backcourt. I think that Carter is much less than an average defender. He is the worst starting SG in the league (defensively). On the other hand, Kidd have always had problems defending quick Parker-type guards. We'll have to play zone (matchup zone will be best) against those players, unless we want to double-team them.

RJ can guard Iverson better than Carter. Next year, Jefferson's offensive load will be smaller so I think that he will be able to concentrate on D and be more like the shut-down defender he used to be. That way Kidd wil guard the 2nd guard and Carter will defend the SF. I know it's not perfect, but I already said that zone will be more effective against some of these guys.
LOL Carter isn't the worst in the league. I can name guys who are worse...

Jamal Crawford- starting SG for Knicks
Paul Pierce- Celts
J.R Smith- Hornets

Carter for some reason doesn't have the lateral foot speed...while I don't know why because he's such an athlete (past injuries) yet he'll stay with his man and at least attempt to make his man work...he's average I'd say...he's not the worst...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
KingofNewark said:
With Carter and RJ the Nets will be scoring so much that what the scoring guard on the opposing team does won't matter. Kidd can handle his own out there and we'll bring in Vaughn(hopefully resigned) off the bench if it gets out of hand.
We have a team option on Vaughn.
IMO Defense is essential, even if we had Arenas, Kobe and Mcgrady we still had to take care of our defense.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Mogriffjr said:
LOL Carter isn't the worst in the league. I can name guys who are worse...

Jamal Crawford- starting SG for Knicks
Paul Pierce- Celts
J.R Smith- Hornets

Carter for some reason doesn't have the lateral foot speed...while I don't know why because he's such an athlete (past injuries) yet he'll stay with his man and at least attempt to make his man work...he's average I'd say...he's not the worst...
OMFG
Paul Pierce?!?!?
Are there 2 Paul Pierces on Boston?!??!
Pierce is a very good perimeter defender, especially in the clutch. You can't even compare him to VC.
Crawford is not a good defender because he's not strong, but he's better than VC.
JR smith- I didn't see him much, so I can't tell, I'll check it out.
The rest of the SG's (that are better on D):
Hassell
Maggette
Sura
Ginobili
Kobe
Igoudala
Hughes
Allen
J Johnson (not much better)
Francis (pretty close)
Wade
G Wallace
Peterson
Josh Smith
Hamilton (not much better)
Battier
Newble
Finley (close)
Hinrich
S Jackson
Mobley
Buckner
Redd
Bell
Patterson

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
RJ will be on the dominate scorer, Kidd on the 2nd, and Carter on the other teams' least important offensive player.

-Petey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts