Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washington Wizards

Kwame Brown starts to show sign of consistency, 7 games in double figures getting consistent minutes. Then dope smoking Laetner comes back and he gets only 18 minutes and scores 3 points while Bong Lover gets 25 minutes and the 12-28 Wizards move on to 12-29.

I am convinced that bad organizations are just bad organizations. Doesn't matter what player or players they get, they just will continue to make horrible decisions.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Ha.
Chicago Bulls. They are definitely on par or worse than the wizards.

Haven't developed one young player in five years of rebuilding.

But we did manage to trade away Elton Brand, Ron Artest, Brad Miller...and we also got rid of Brent Barry before that. As part of the grand plan that was signing Eddie Robinson to a long term deal.

And we're trying like mad to trade Jamal Crawford and Eddy Curry.
And then there's the maddness of putting Jay Williams in the triangle offense. Then Jay gets in a motorcycle accident.

And drafting Marcus Fizer when there was no place for him to play on the team.

We blew up a team with Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman in order to do all of this mind you.

Hired Tim Floyd and kicked out Phil Jackson to do it. Fired Tim Floyd. New coach Bill Cartwright. Fired for Scott Skiles who had been out of basketball for 5 years.

Oh yes. There's a great organization there. Yippie.

Factor in the losing culture that is Chicago Sports(just like DC sports) and voila.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Doesn't get worse than the Hawks and Clippers. How many straight years have the Clippers young talent shown promise? Hawks can't win and can't get anybody to watch the play. It's sad that when Dwight Howard and Randolp Morris play against each other, they will probably sell more tickets than the Hawks have in any home game this season.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Well I think the Wizards are moving in the right direction. Jordan was a terrible executive and set this franchise back, I believe one year for every one he was there. His drafting of Juan Dixon was a terrrible pick and think his presence on the court hurt the progress of the franchise more than helping it.

The Wizards have moved in the right direction since Jordan. Signing Arenas, drafting Hayes and Blake were all solid, constructive moves. I doubt Jordan took into account Dixon's upside; should he not pan out, what will his trade value be? Very little is the answer to that. It was simply a bad business move.

In order for franchises to be successful, I believe the most vital aspect is an owner who truly wants to win. Sterling is most concerned w/ the bottom line. Bill Bidwell (AZ Cards) is most concerned w/ the bottom line. Marc Cuban wants to win. The Maloof family wants to win. Winning is what inspires business in professional sports.

The Clippers and AZ Cardinals remain consistent losers because the owners will simply not sacrifice the risk of any negative bottom lines for the sake of winning. Look at the drastic improvement in the success, morale, and popularity of the Kings and Mavs franchises because of their inspired owners. I think Skin's fans should be excited because they have an aggressive, savvy owner that wants to win and will pay the costs of winning.

Like in any business, the general attitude of a business all starts w/ the man on top and has a trickle-down effect. Inspired employers breed inspired employees.

I think Sterling and Bidwell are in the wrong business; I'm sure they would say otherwise.

P.S. My buddy told me he saw an interview segment on Bidwell. He said after landing on his team charter, he went to the stewardess and asked her if there were any extra sandwiches he could take home. This guy owns a pro sports franchise and is begging for left-overs?! How cheap can you possibly be?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
The Chicago Bulls.

Karma is a *****. All that time when they were winning their fans were so obnoxious. Do you think I have any sympathy? Sure don't.

Keep on losing for all I care. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh yeah the Hawks and Clippers fall into this too, but in the Clippers defense it's because of Sterling. The players want to win but Sterling doesn't want to do what it takes to win. I also think they need to move the Clippers out of LA. There is no reason for LA to have two teams playing in the same building. They should become the Las Vegas Clippers and that would line Sterling's cheap pockets. :yes:

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
It pains me to say it but the raptors are also pretty bad,

1. Only take Jumpers
2. Last in the NBA in FTA
3. Last in Points in the Paint(for and against)
4. One of the worst rebounding teams

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>madman</b>!
It pains me to say it but the raptors are also pretty bad,

1. Only take Jumpers
2. Last in the NBA in FTA
3. Last in Points in the Paint(for and against)
4. One of the worst rebounding teams
just because they are doing bad lately doesnt make them a bad franchise....Hawks are by far the worst in the league...look at their attendance, and record year after year, and everybody could see why

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Vancouver Grizzlies... nm.

Wizards are really bad. Brewers, too, in MLB.

Las Vegas Clippers, anyone?

Or maybe Hawks? It just seems like they'll rebound and Atlanta deserves to have the Hawks then. But they don't have as real of an owner, so the Maloofs could take 'em to LV.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
All magic hafta do is build a real team around tmac.

So far we have these peices in the puzzles:

T-mac is the center

Bogans
Gooden (will be good when he starts instead of howard)
zaza (needs to develope)
Top 2 first round picks

Trade everyone else away for 2 more decent players and sign some role player veterans..

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
The Atlanta Hawks!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think the Clippers could be in the process of moving off this list. Sterling finally shelled out some money to resign his playes (Brand and Maggette) and actually showed some interest in the free agent market last off season (although Wang Zhizhi isn't much of a free agent signing.) Regardless, they have a good young core in Brand, Maggette, and Richardson, and if they can get a good point guard thorugh either the draft of free agency and develop their other young guys into solid role players they could be a more than decent team.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I don't think the Hawks are a bad franchise. They seem to actually be run pretty well. And they certainly tried to pay top dollar and put a real team in atlanta. But nobody showed up to support.

Worst fans: Atlanta fans

but worst organization? I don't know about that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't think the Wizards are a bad franchise...I think it would be way different if Stackhouse and Arenas were healthy. They are doing bad this year, I will agree with that, but I think they are 1 or 2 years from making the playoffs.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jokeaward</b>
Las Vegas Clippers, anyone?
I'd rather see them as the Anaheim Clippers and move them into the Pond. But of course that's only because it would make them closer to me.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The Boston Celtics.
They have no loyalty to the players they should have loyalty too. The owners talk out of both sides of their mouths, they make back room deals trying to screw other teams out of knowing the potential of an unknown player (Back when Kedrick Brown was drafted, they worked him out, told him they were going to draft him and then hid him from other organizations so they wouldn't get wind of the talent he had (Or the talent they thought he had)
He never worked out for another team but the Celtics.
Then there was raising ticket prices in the middle of the playoffs, and last but not least was when they put a horrible product on the floor and then raised ticket prices.

Sure most organizations do this kind of stuff but that doesn't make it right. How can you put a worse product on the floor and raise ticket prices for an organization that has always had the saying Celtics Pride as its motto?

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
The Boston Celtics.
They have no loyalty to the players they should have loyalty too. The owners talk out of both sides of their mouths, they make back room deals trying to screw other teams out of knowing the potential of an unknown player (Back when Kedrick Brown was drafted, they worked him out, told him they were going to draft him and then hid him from other organizations so they wouldn't get wind of the talent he had (Or the talent they thought he had)
He never worked out for another team but the Celtics.
Then there was raising ticket prices in the middle of the playoffs, and last but not least was when they put a horrible product on the floor and then raised ticket prices.

Sure most organizations do this kind of stuff but that doesn't make it right. How can you put a worse product on the floor and raise ticket prices for an organization that has always had the saying Celtics Pride as its motto?
a team with the most nba championships is not a bad franchise...they sell out almost every game and make the playoffs every year

·
Registered
78 Posts
The LA Clippers are the definition of a bad franchise, and the problem doesn't just start and end at Stirling.

Los Angeles is probably the hardest city for a sporting team to exist outside of New York. The Lakers have established themselves as the top dogs, and the Clips effectively feed off their popularity. But the problem is that this franchise doesn't know how to market itself. You're in Los Angeles for God sakes! You're not just competing against the Lakers and other sporting teams, you're competing against HOLLYWOOD!!! Los Angeles wants entertainment, and the Lakers have given them that every year since drafting a certain Earvin Johnson. But what about the hapless Clips?

Every offseason, this team trades off current talent for upside. They have no aspirations to win straight away, but then, when these up-and-coming players don't perform in their first two years, they are shipped off for fresh meat. Then, when these new players develop into quality oncourt leaders, the owner refuses to pay them what they are worth to the franchise.
It's not what they're worth, but what they're are worth to the Clippers! Sure, Odom isn't a max-contract player by NBA standards, but to the Clippers he was their best all-around prospect. Sterling seems to think that because over at Lakerville, legends of the game will take less to win rings, his players should work for the same money and play for a losing organisation. But again, it's not all Sterling's fault.

Here, we come back to the idea of Los Angeles wanting entertainment and star power. Before his unfortunate run-in with the law, Kobe Bryant was the most marketable commodity in US Sports. He and Shaq made people want to watch them, because they were exciting, controversial, new!
Elton Brand does not have such marketability! You don't turn on the TV to watch Quentin Richardson shoot countless threes! Corey Maggette is not the next Jordan! This team needs a people person, someone who can command the front page, be the face of Nike, the face of the Clippers.

Until the LA Clippers trade for a certified superstar, no matter what the cost, they can never be a successful franchise!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts