Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this all the time where someone says this guy isn't a
"Pure PG".

What is the definition of a "Pure PG"? Can we at least come up with a definition that can be agreed upon.

My guess is that most people will say a "Pure PG" is someone who looks to pass first, takes about 10-12 shots a game, gets lots of assists and initiates the offense. Examples would be John Stockton and Mark Jackson.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
natural ability to see the floor.

crisp ball handling.

UNSELFISH. Look to pass 99.9 percent of the time, but have the ability to shoot as well.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
A player that makes his teammates better, Stockton is a perfect example.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
<< See avatar.:D

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
it should simply be the natural or inate ability to run an offense.

beyond that, it's silly to come up with strict definitions. effectiveness is important, not how well you meet requirements.

if mark jackson meets the criteria for pure pg better than isiah thomas (for example), what's the point of that criteria?

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Stockton
Kidd
Jackson
Ford

Floor Generals, You guys forgot to mention that a PG is to basketball as a QB is to football. The guy who runs the team and the stronger his leadership abilities the better. A good PG can not only get him a layup on anyone, he can get you a layup on anyone.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I would add an unusual degree of court vision. There are plenty of point guards who think pass first, but lack not only the exceptional physical reflexes but also the stellar awareness of what's happening around of the Stocktons, Kidds and Magics.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
1. Great Court Vision

2. Pass first, Shoot second mentality

3. Has to make quick on-court decisions.

4.Has to play under-control. Limited Turnovers

5. Needs his own players to trust him, and respect him. That is a biggie.

With no respect, there cannot be good chemistry. With no chemistry, a team is just going to be a bunch of individuals trying to do there own thing, rather then be a team that meshes well as a whole.

6. Needs the ability to overcome adversity and any tough obstacle that comes his way.

John Stockton, Tiny Archibald, Pete Maravich, Bob Cousy, Magic Johnson, and Earl Monroe are some of the old-timers.

New-school pure point guards: Jason Williams and Jason Kidd

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
who would you rather have playing pg for your team - a pure pg, or a pg who may be less of a pure pg but a far superior overall pg?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kflo</b>!
who would you rather have playing pg for your team - a pure pg, or a pg who may be less of a pure pg but a far superior overall pg?
that depends on the teammates...
change SNOW with Francis and the sixers suck and houston is a serious contender and yao is MVP
(this is just an example i'm not a francis hater :) )

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!
Where's the love for the Glove!
Glove needs some love! I love his game more now that he came to LA.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
in your standard, Lebron and Francis are bad pure pg.

top five TOs, can't shoot.

My standard for great player: at least fg45%.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think Francis or Lebron are "Pure PG's". I think they are both tremendous basketball players, but Lebron is too damn good to be a "Pure PG", he is another category of his own. As far as Francis, if he can't get Yao 15-20 shots a game then he's not doing his job.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
It seems like "pure" is a euphamism for "limited." Basically, rigidly locked into the skills one expects for the position with no other skills.

Olajuwon, likely, wasn't a "pure" center, because he could run the floor and make steals and shoot mid-range jumpers, all of which aren't "classic" center skills. But I'd take Olajuwon over any pure center.

Magic, Robertson, Thomas, Payton...all of them non-"pure" point guards, but probably my top-four point guards all-time. Though I wouldn't find it odd for someone to put Stockton in the top four.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Bob Cousy defined the pg position. Stockton and Kidd refined it. I'm not sure how to classify Magic Johnson. Maybe you could say he redefined the position.

·
Registered
785 Posts
if i would be building for a champion ship i would love a pure pg and a pure center. on the other positions i would take beter all around player than the best pure SG/SF/PF.

and for me Olajuwon was a PF....

actually when i think about it Olajuwon=Duncan. playing Center with good midrnge and solid outside shot. great post moves great court vision and decision making for a big man, quick with solid handles.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Cousy took a lot of shots and missed. Ugly amounts.

A pure PG is the #1 guy to give the ball to to start things out. He's the least likely to hoist up a bad shot, except maybe a hustle/rebound player. There's no reason he can't post 10 assists in a night. Not necessarily every night, but at least sometimes. He should make team FG% go up, especially after calling a play.

He should be a future coach. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts