Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CHICAGO (Ticker) - Chicago Bulls rookie forward Luol Deng will have surgery Tuesday to repair the right wrist ligament tear that has sidelined him for the rest of the regular season.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. Susan Craig Scott at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York. The 19-year-old Deng, third among rookies in scoring at 11.7 points per game, could be back by the beginning of training camp.

"With this being Luol's first major injury, it is important to him that Dr. Scott perform the surgery on his wrist," Bulls vice president John Paxson said. "We expect he will be in a cast for six to eight weeks after the surgery, followed by three to six months of rehabilitation with our medical staff. Given Luol's drive and work ethic, we know he will do all that is needed to successfully complete this process."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=bullsdeng&prov=st&type=lgns

Bulls offical site link: http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/deng_050409.html

Good luck to Mr. Deng!

:banana:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Yes. Good luck to Luol! I was kinda hoping he'd be back for the post-season. Crushed.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Interesting choice of a surgeon. She currently does mostly cosmetic surgery...

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/health/bestdoctors/cosmeticsurgery/2003/n_9284/

Susan Craig Scott
Beth Israel Medical Center; Lenox Hill Hospital
150 East 77th Street (212-288-9922)

Renowned as a hand surgeon, Susan Craig Scott now spends about 80 percent of her time in cosmetic work. She specializes in eyelid surgery, specifically removing fat from the lower lids with an interior incision, an operation that is less likely to impair muscle function or cause drooping but works best in patients under 45 (who don’t have much skin to tighten). She also does a lot of trans-umbilical breast operations, inserting implants through the bellybutton.

:confused:

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
FreeSpeech101 said:
What a materialistic world we live in...eyelid surgery? Read a book for crying out loud..
Interesting that you say that, and I'm sure in many cases it's appropriate, but my father's wife has a droopy eyelid which was impairing her vision (covering part of the pupil) until she got eyelid surgery.

Without the surgery she couldn't, in fact, read a book.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wynn said:
Interesting that you say that, and I'm sure in many cases it's appropriate, but my father's wife has a droopy eyelid which was impairing her vision (covering part of the pupil) until she got eyelid surgery.

Without the surgery she couldn't, in fact, read a book.
:biggrin: You got me good...

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Three to six months? So he may not be back for the beginning of next season? DOH!
No, it sounds like he'll definitely be more than ready for next season, pending any unforeseen complications. 6 months from today is October 10th, and by that point the Bulls will only be starting pre-season. Considering Deng's body is young and should heal fast with a good operation, I would expect him ready just in time for training camp. The silver lining in this situation is that this injury probably won't hinder his training regimen too much. I think he'll still be able to run and jump alot throughout the summer (maybe not alot of upper body weight lifting though). I'm sure it won't be too long before he can shoot and dribble the basketball again, too. He just won't be doing much contact for a while.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Deng's right wrist might be broken but his left hand is perfectly fine.

This is a good time for Deng to learn dribbling and shooting with his left hand.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Chicago_Cow said:

This is a good time for Deng to learn dribbling and shooting with his left hand.
Good point! Most NBA players have to really work hard to use their left hand, but Deng will have to learn out of necessity. His whole body is fine except for that right wrist, so he can still work out quite a bit. This is nothing like an ACL injury, for example. I'm not worried about Deng long term; I think he will really blossum over the next 1-2 years. It's just disappointing that he's not here for the playoff run after contributing so much this year, plus that experience would be valuable for his future.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chicago_Cow said:

There is always a bright side... :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts